• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too much of a good thing: when should developers pace themselves.

We finally got the Batman (game) we deserved when Arkham Asylum released a few years ago. We got a fantastic sequel a couple years later and another very serviceable sequel later still, albeit not from Rocksteady.

I enjoyed all three games quite a bit but have to admit that by the third game the formula had begun to wear thin on me. Oddly enough I really can't find much to criticize about the games apart from the boss battles (recycled Bain fights) and bulky Batman. They're just fantastic gamed and even though Origins doesn't live up to its predecessors it still manages to coast by on the formula Rocksteady created. So if I like them so much why have I gotten sick if them?

I think it may be a simple case if too much of a good thing. Our cups have runneth over with brilliant Batman games in the last few years with all the Arkham games and their DLC. I feel I've played too much too quickly and now I find it difficult to get excited about the new game (which looks amazing). I think I'd feel this same way about Metroid if there were a new Metroid every 2 years.

I specifically want to disqualify yearly releases like Madden, Call of Duty, and Battlefield. These cash cow mutants are destroying the industry and don't consider them good things.

Edit : oops. Could a mod move this to gaming? Didn't mean to post on community.

I thought I smelled a thread about batman arkham. the scent was faint because it was in community

If you're burnt out on Batman, it's because the last game (by WB Games Montreal) wasn't very similar to Arkham City (by Rocksteady). I understand the feeling of fatigue, but that sentiment wasn't common with Arkham City because it felt more like a new game functionally than an expansion pack. The leap from City to Origins is almost nonexistent considering the game is worse in some areas, and only arguably better in others. That game feels like more of the same whereas Arkham Knight will at the very least look far better than past games and will have the batmobile.

By the time Arkham Knight comes out, there will have been about two whole years between each release, and four years between it and the last Rocksteady game. Two years felt like a decent amount of time between Asylum and City, but that could've been due to not having much else to do in Asylum besides replay the main story which was pretty barebones. DLC might make those gaps feel too small.

I definitely think you're right about the gap between AC and AN seeming insignificant. AC seemed like a proper sequel and AO almost felt like an expansion. At least to me.

Could a mod move this to gaming general? I'm sorry. :/ thanks!

Top Bottom