• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Took apart Sixaxis Controller to clean a gummy button.. some reassembly difficulty..

Hey guys.

Long story short, I've taken apart my eldest PS3 controller.. the ol' Sixaxis. He had a Circle button that was just the most unpleasant to press thing. Seems something spilled in that specific button. Anyway, it's clean now.

My problem now is getting the thing back together..

I figured out that you have to push in the L1 and R1 buttons before the L/R 2 buttons, along with the little separator plastic piece.. so those are in.... and I finally got the whole thing together... but the L1 and R1 buttons feel stuck. They've got no bounce to them.. and I can't figure it out, as they don't have springs.. They should just be bouncing on the tall rubber cylinder under the button.

Any thoughts.. any ideas?

This isn't my pic, but is a pretty clear pic of what the controller looks like with the top shoulder buttons off, which had been a pain in the ass to try to put back together.

I'm going to fiddle with it some more right now. Hope someone with experience can come in here and lead me in the right direction.

Thanks!

ps3-trigger-spring-06.jpg

Okay.. I messed with it some more and it turns out I wasn't inserting the L/R1 buttons correctly.. They seem to have to go in at the same time as R2.. and you have to make sure they go in at the same time as the rubber.

So.. It works!

Surgery successful. Cleaned off some brown goo from my Circle Button.. which is weird, because I don't drink soda. Well.. stuff happens.

I left out a tiny screw that hell the circuit board to the back piece of the controller... reason being.. I had to put the back piece on last to make sure I was doing everything else right. Seems to be just fine though.

edit: Case closed. Thanks for looking. Maybe it can help someone else.

Dereck

I've wanted to do this with all of my PS3 controllers, but shied away from it after reassembling my 360 controller wrong which resulted in the right analog stick not being able to move left.

Top Bottom