• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jun14| Lu Lu Lala Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece
Black Lagoon
FMA:Brotherhood
Blue Exorcist
Attack on Titan
Naruto
COOLER THAN FREEZER
Symbionic Titan
Samurai Jack
Star Wars: Clone Wars
Naruto Shippuden
Beware the Batman

Pretty good night overall. BtB was terrible.

Neoxon

Next Week

Eren's gonna serve a nice slice of vengeance.

Also, was I the only one who shouted "BALLS!" when the Colossal Titan showed up?

umm lots?

Attack on Titan: You know... at this point, this isn't all that bad, to be honest.

One Piece: A ride on a uncontrollable train? This can't possibly go wrong...

Blue Exorcist: No Comment

Black Lagoon: Great episode. Poor Spike... also poor Rock, can't catch a break.

Beware the Batman: I don't care if I'm the only one that likes this show. I don't know what it is, maybe it's the entire technology over supernatural powers that is Batman.

------------------------------
Personally, given everything so far, I wouldn't be surprised if the schedule this fall looked something like this. (Obviously with speculated additions)

11:30PM: DBZ Kai
12:00AM: Sailor Moon
12:30AM: Space Dandy
1:00AM: Naruto Shippuden
1:30AM: One Piece
2:00AM: (Kill La Kill)
2:30AM: (Psycho Pass)
3:00AM: Bleach
3:30AM: Naruto
4:00AM: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
4:30AM: (CN Rescue)
5:00AM: (CN Rescue/Cowboy Bebop)
5:30AM: (CN Rescue)

11:30 Space Dandy
12:00 Kai
12:30 Attack on Titan
1:00 Shippuden
1:30 One Piece
2:00 ??
2:30 ??
3:00 Ghost in the Shell
3:30 Naruto
4:00 Samurai Jack
4:30 Clone Wars
5:00 Bebop
5:30 Bebop

I have doubts about KLK coming to toonami.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Let's see, what happened in the last three weeks of One Piece.

-Sanji infiltrated the sea train.
-Nami and Chopper looked for Luffy and Zoro.
-Nami orders the train goons to gather meat.
-Aqua Laguna shows up and is far stronger than normal, destroying things it normally shouldn't.
-Nami and Chopper rescue Zoro and Luffy just in the nick of time.
-Ice Pops knowing the only solution to their problem is Rocketman secretly begins working on getting it running.
-Granny also knows this and leads the recovered Straw Hats to Tom's hidden workshop.
-Sanji infiltrates further into the train and finds Usopp and Franky, hilarity ensues.
-Rocketman is brought back to life, Franky Family asks if they can join along.
-Pauly is shown as having boarded the train in secret as they depart Water 7.

So basically a bunch of padding and bullshit except for getting the Rocketman so they can go after CP9. Great, glad that was cleared up.

Sanji and Zoro should just get their own spinoff series.

JDppYL8.png

Still in the top 10.

ComeAtMeBro.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I suspect Gucci and I have different ideas of what exactly constitutes padding and especially bullshit.

Remember when fox was the eager young upstart, averging 70+ posts per day? Look at how the mighty have fallen, tsk tsk. Step your game up
we miss your activity

I suspect Gucci and I have different ideas of what exactly constitutes padding and especially bullshit.
We must if your list of recent events includes exciting things such as 'Nami and Chopper looked for Luffy' and 'Nami ordered the train goons to gather some meat'.

EDIT: Edited out some frustrations.

daveo42

Banned
Ok, so I didn't really got back to bed...from last night:

AoT
A fantastic job in the pacing of the show, though we barely have enough time to register all of the different people thrown out in such a short amount of time. Timeskip was well placed, but a little more time on the other cadets would have been nice. The ending legit shook me the first time I saw it and loved seeing it again the 2nd time around.

DBZ - Cooler's Revenge
Most of the DBZ movies are pretty bleh with most of it dragging its feet till the fighting starts. Voices were hilarious, though the abridged version totally wins out in the end as being way more memorable. Also glad we got the Japanese soundtrack as opposed to the awful nu-metal garbage we originally got. Nice to see the show back on Toonami.

Naruto Shippuden
This show is really dragging its feet. I'm surprised I stomached this when it first aired years ago. Things should have picked up several episodes ago, but we are still milling around with Naruto being angry and Clones cloning. At least we got a little farther in the Sasori fight.

One Piece
This is a breath of fresh air every week after the slowness that is Shippuden. Nice to see things moving along towards their eventual goal of getting Robin back. There wasn't much that happened, but the few things that did are helping to get our rag tag crew back together. I'm looking forward to the bigger reactions that will come later in this arc.

Blue Exorcist
Boobs, bugs and a lantern only interested in eating cute girls. At least it has some semblance of a plot, but it seems to get weighed down by all the pandering going on. It's also good for the reactions in the thread. Rin's an idiot too, lighting up like that. At least we get some tentacle action next week.

Black Lagoon
Consistently one of the best shows on the block, if not the best. Nice wrap-up of the epic battle between two beauties. The fist fight finish was a nice touch too, and reminded me a lot of the final episode of Scryed.

Beware the Batman
Did anything actually happen here other than a really long drawn out fist fight and Katana or w/e her name finding Bruce's library? What is even going on in this show anymore? I think I might start playing some game while this is on. It is the cancer that is killing the block.

OG Naruto
Goofy episode with some good intros for several characters. More hype episodes coming down the pipe. It's the show that Shippuden wishes it could be.

FMA: B
Bradley shows his true colors and our short lived chimera friends die. Next week is the introduction of one of my favorite characters in the show.

Samurai Jack
The Scotsman comes back along with his massive wife. This episode had me rolling with the little cute animal pouches, Jack's reactions, and of course Sheamus' wife.

Overall a pretty solid block outside of Shippuden and Beware the Bat. Both have been low points of the evening.

Seda

Switched OP images to Imgur. Minus has been getting worse with upload issues and issues with displaying properly in Chrome. Imgur might load better in general, too.

Black Lagoon and FMAB were my highlights of the night but most of the block was good. I think I'm warming up to Attack on Titan even though Eren is about as irritating as it gets.

Gorillaz

Hungover, so stay with me

Missed AoT last night but if I remember it was the legit shook episode, o r at least one of them.I think seda brought up the "you gotta strut to make the cut" line......lol interesting script for the dub

Lagoon wise I can't remember but last night should be the last of the roberta arc which was pretty hilarious with rhe first fight. I think we are heading into the season 1 final with this last arc. Pretty interesting one.

Already im done I need Advil

Edit was cooler revenge food?

Edit 2 I dont want to open my mouth too much

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Switched OP images to Imgur. Minus has been getting worse with upload issues and issues with displaying properly in Chrome. Imgur might load better in general, too.

Black Lagoon and FMAB were my highlights of the night but most of the block was good. I think I'm warming up to Attack on Titan even though Eren is about as irritating as it gets.

imgur rarely fucks up and is good in general for anything less than 5MB that doesn't have to be resized on the fly to a very specific size.

I'm really upset that I couldn't join you guys during the last part of AoT and the whole of Cooler's Revenge.
My connection outage couldn't have happened at the worst possible time.

Was surprised to hear CR's US soundtrack was cut this time.

Seda

Will we make it to July?

That is the question.

Might just split a month in two if necessary.

Related, here are the post counts for the four Saturdays in April and the four Saturdays (so far) in May, between 11:30PM and 6:00AM

April
-

May
-

Levyne

Banned
Might just split a month in two if necessary.

Related, here are the post counts for the four Saturdays in April and the four Saturdays (so far) in May, between 11:30PM and 6:00AM

April
-

May
-

Attack on Titan 1 and Cooler Movie (along with AoT still going, obviously)

Padding is what shippuden does with the constant flash back and explaining the attacks we just saw to fill time because they're moving at an egregious 1:1 pacing with chapters that have very little content to begin with. One Piece is deliberately stalling the characters so they miss the train and so they can see how dangerous aqua lagoon is to show their determination to face any challenge to get Robin back. Its all very deliberate even if it isn't always the most exciting thing ever. The only real bull shit part is luffy and zoro both getting stuck... Again. It has reason (delay them from getting to the train, so they can see how dangerous aqua lagoona is, to give luffy and zoro a reason to learn the truth to get raged and begin to fight back) but it can come off as dumb/annoying that they're literally stuck in a situation they should both be able to get out of easily.

ckohler

Attack on Titan - Good episode but Eren's brooding and yelling gets so grating. I loved the "everything is going to work out...." BOOM! Now here's your doom! Next episode looks epic (and tragic). Bread/meat girl was the highlight of the episode when she was doing her fake kung-fu. She's gonna die, isn't she? :(

DBZ: Cooler's Revenge - Those voices. So bad. Lol. It's been a while so I had forgotten how bad voice acting was back in the early days of "Japanimation". No wonder people hated dubs back then. Glad to know Kai has a new dub. The whole story was forgettable and there never was any tension. Also, the protect nature sub-plot was really heavy handed and silly.

Shipooden - Nothing happened. Unless you consider Sasori (my man)'s reveal as a red headed pretty boy. Clones still fighting clones, Naruto yelling, Kakashi mumbling to himself and old men telling boring stories. Second worst show on the block.

Blue Exorcist - Fun (and funny) camping episode that looks like it's leading to Rin being outed as a demon. Pervy lanterns, teamwork and Renzo continues to be the best bro. The second half was severely lacking my lovely tsundere Izumo. Hopefully we catch up with her next week.

Black Lagoon - Battle of the badass babes. Great episode although I honestly liked the previous one more for the tension. I'm glad and surprised it ended somewhat amicably. Unlike that self-centered, conceited Revy, Roberta actually cares about others. So not only did Roberta win the fight, she won my heart. Damn that kid is lucky.

Naruto - I used to pick on OG Naruto back in the day but now it's like a breath of fresh air compared to the stench that his Shipooden. This part in particular is fun even if I've seen it like three times now. But ugh, watching every character with two x chromosomes wet themselves at the sight of Sasuke just makes me want to punch him and the writer more.

Beware this Batman Show - Just terrible. I can't think of a single redeeming thing. The villains were laughably bad. Poor, cheesy dialog. Animation was jerky. They couldn't even get the lip-sync right. Just awful. Worst show on the block by far.

FMA: Brotherhood - Great episode with some feels. Bradley is a terrible creature. His passive aggressive tones really get under your skin. The death scene with Greed is so well voiced. Such a great show.

Sleepy time after that. I wanted to stay up for Clone Wars but I just couldn't make it.

MikeMyers

Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge
Yeaaah, definitely one of the weaker DBZ movies. It's not Tree of Might or Bio-Broly bad, but it's nothing amazing. Crappy dub work aside, the story really just retreads the Ginyu Force and Freeza. Not as blatantly as Lord Slug did with the King Piccolo arc.

Most of the movies are retread. For example, Dead Zone is just Raditz all over again. Villain kidnaps Gohan, Goku and Piccolo team-up, and everyone discovers that Gohan can pull power outta of nowhere when the plot needs it when he's angry and he owns the villains.

Most of the movies are retread. For example, Dead Zone is just Raditz all over again. Villain kidnaps Gohan, Goku and Piccolo team-up, and everyone discovers that Gohan can pull power outta of nowhere when the plot needs it when he's angry and he owns the villains.
I swear that scene of Goku going super sayian in Cooler's Revenge is drawn exactly the same from the Namek arc.

MikeMyers

Movie 1 is Pilaf
Movie 2 is 21st Budokai
Movie 3 is 22nd Budokai
Movie 4 is Red Ribbon Army

Movie 1 is Raditz
Movie 2 is Vegeta
Movie 3 is ....um, well fuck this movie anyway
Movie 4 is Dodoria, Zarbon, and King Piccolo
Movie 5 is Ginyu Force and Freeza
Movie 6 is Mecha Freeza
Movie 7 is Android 16, 17, 18
Movie 8 is well, think about it, Broli is really just a heel Gohan.
Movie 9 is Cell Games
Movie 10 is also Cell
Movie 11....um, fuck this movie anyway
Movie 12 is Fat Buu/Super Buu
Movie 13 I think is original

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The originalish movies are:

World's Strongest
Fusion Reborn
Whatever the last movie before the most recent one
The most recent one.

Bojack and Tree of Might are half original.

Fusion Reborn is a total ripoff of Buu...but it's also really good.

MikeMyers

I really like the 2008 Special, almost everyone got a cool moment in it.

Well Tenshinhan and Chaozu weren't in it, but that is because Ten's VA was dead. R.I.P Bright Noa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom