• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top EA Sports NHL producer fired

DMczaf

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/15/news_6107448.html

His post reads in part, "To the guy that wanted me to get 'kicked in the balls' during the summit, your wish has been granted, and I am no longer with EA. I hope the new hockey regime will continue to solicit feedback and provide information as I have done in the past. My last act was to get the roster and attribute info to you, and with that I say farewell. I'll check in to see what you think of the game, but you won't see me here again, unless Sega hires me. Happy scoring and saving,"

:lol

NHL2K fans better hope VC doesn't pick him up.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
To the guy that wanted me to get 'kicked in the balls' during the summit, your wish has been granted
Ow! Well, that franchise needs a complete revamp anyways - ESPN has been kicking EA in the balls with NHL for the past 4 years. That sucks for him though - Warf was a really nice guy to me when I worked there...

I don't even care. Aside from presentation, box art, and perhaps graphics, VC has destroyed EA in every way possible with NHL2K5. NHL2K5 has it's flaws, but there's no way NHL 2006 could come close to matching it, even if they fulling revamped the game, which I doubt they will.

DMczaf

Mike Works said:
I don't even care. Aside from presentation, box art, and perhaps graphics, VC has destroyed EA in every way possible with NHL2K5. NHL2K5 has it's flaws, but there's no way NHL 2006 could come close to matching it, even if they fulling revamped the game, which I doubt they will.

How is that doubtful? They completely revamped their basketball, baseball, and boxing titles in the past couple of years.

DMczaf said:
How is that doubtful? They completely revamped their basketball, baseball, and boxing titles in the past couple of years.
Because the majority of the public prefers NHL 200_ series to the NHL2K_ series, and instead of implementing realistic gameplay changes, they've done the opposite. Trust me, I've played every EA NHL game since NHLPA 92.

boo7z

Even with all the angst against EA NHLxxxx, you have to admit NHL 2004 was a sweet product. It made huge improvements over NHL 2003.

boo7z said:
Even with all the angst against EA NHLxxxx, you have to admit NHL 2004 was a sweet product. It made huge improvements over NHL 2003.
If by sweet you mean a game with great production values and gameplay which is too arcadey to be a sim and too tied down to be a true arcade game, then yes! With NHL2K_ and Hitz on the market, there's just no use for EA's current product.

This was expected as this is EA's weakest sports game by far. Very interested in seeing how the low price point of NHL2k5 affects the sales of all the hockey titles. I think the game will outsell NHL 2005, possibly by a pretty large margin. It's only going to help EA get on the ball if they get their asses kicked. The gamer's benefit.

BlackClouds said:
This was expected as this is EA's weakest sports game by far. Very interested in seeing how the low price point of NHL2k5 affects the sales of all the hockey titles. I think the game will outsell NHL 2005, possibly by a pretty large margin. It's only going to help EA get on the ball if they get their asses kicked. The gamer's benefit.
Even if NHL2K5 outsells NHL 2005- which I don't think it did/will- how is EA getting their "asses kicked" if they earn an extra $30 per friggin title?

I've been told that EA's stat tracking (ie: leader boards during a season) are much more indepth then ESPN. And that's just horseshit!

Mike Works said:
Even if NHL2K5 outsells NHL 2005- which I don't think it did/will- how is EA getting their "asses kicked" if they earn an extra $30 per friggin title?

You'd have to think any sports game outselling EA's game is a pretty big blow, to EA. I'm actually thinking NHL2k5 will blow away NHL 2005's sales, completely. Enough to eliminate the 30$ advantage in price. We'll see if I'm crazy or not in a couple months. Looking around, NHL2k5 is selling well. Losing in revenue also would mean EA got it's ass kicked big time, and it is certainly possible.

I'd like to add that I really don't give a fuck about the sales, just that there's room for all developers capable of making something good to get their share of the pie to continue making good games.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Like Mike said, with NHL Hitz Pro locking up the "NHL '94 Genesis-arcade" segment of the market, and NHL 2K5 firmly in control of the sim side, I just don't see the point in bothering with EA's series this year. Serious changes need to be made if EA ever wants to be taken seriously in the hockey arena again.

Seriously.

BlackClouds said:
What about 989 studios hockey game? or have they cancelled that also.
Well hey, if you think about it, EA's game isn't terrible, it's just average! Worse than NHL2K and Blitz, but better than Faceoff and Rivals!

GG EA!

BlackClouds said:
What about 989 studios hockey game? or have they cancelled that also.

If I'm not mistaken, theirs was renamed, and the upcoming Gretesky game is being done by Page 44; whose working on hockey games for the PSP and PS3 as well.

Top Bottom