• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Director Kevin Saunders leaves InXile

Ogimachi

I thought it was newsworthy (more so than the game's delayed release), and some new info came up.
He posted his farewell letter in the latest TToN update:
Kevin here. A couple of weeks ago we released Alpha Systems Test C0, the first public view of our Crisis system. This Crisis is intended to be the second in the game. (The game's first Crisis will make its debut in the beta test.) Some of the other Crises involve more exotic situations, but the one in C0 is a great example of how a "normal" combat encounter manifests using the Crisis system. Jeremy Kopman, Evan Hill, and the entire team have crafted an excellent scenario with an array of narrative reactivity that reaches far beyond this one encounter.

The feedback on C0 has been outstanding, and it's been gratifying to see that players grok the core Crises concept and what we're trying to accomplish, which Jeremy described last update. More importantly, we learned a great deal about various improvements to make. As we mentioned in the C0 Release Notes, the UI in particular and communicating the gameplay systems to players are still being iterated on and the Alpha Systems testers have given us much useful feedback that we are taking into account. The team will be continuing to improve the Crisis gameplay experience, as even more of you will see in the beta test release before the end of this year.

Progress on the game is fantastic. We have written and implemented over a half million words. The majority of environment art is completed and being polished. We have assembled an exceptional team, combining skilled veterans from Wasteland 2, superstars from our pasts, and new talent discovered over the course of the project. The project is in great hands, with Adam Heine, Colin McComb, and George Ziets continuing to provide design leadership and direction.

As with any product launch, there will be the inevitable challenges to overcome, but like a finely tuned engine, things are humming along. I'm proud to have played a part in creating and tuning that engine, which is where my unique experience and skills were most beneficial to TTON. With the major creative and production decisions now resolved, and the team charging full speed toward completing the game, inXile and I have decided it is time for me to depart from the studio. I am proud of the project that I'm leaving in capable hands, and while I do not know what I'll do next, I look forward to new challenges and opportunities.

It has been a privilege and an honor to help craft this game for - and with - all of you. I thank you for having given me the opportunity to lead this truly extraordinary title. It was effectively your generous pledges that gave me the job that I have held since I led TTON's Kickstarter campaign. I also thank Brian Fargo and Matt Findley for being leaders of the RPG renaissance we now enjoy, for making TTON possible, and for trusting and empowering me to lead the project through this point.

And, of course, I thank the team for all of their hard work, dedication, and brilliance. You may have noticed that I sometimes favor unusual word choices, which is something the team has occasionally teased me about. Sometimes I find existing vocabulary to be inadequate, and so find or repurpose words. For example, as Adam described a couple updates ago, we replaced the awkward "status effect" with "fettle." Well, another term I found awkward is "team member," so internally I replaced it with "hero." And indeed, the TTON team is compromised of heroes. They will always have my support and I will never forget their contributions.

I am confident that you will be very pleased with this remarkable game, one that you made possible through your faith and trust. Thank you so much.

Kevin out.

He's being replaced by Chris Keenan, Wasteland 2's Project Lead and director of its Director's Cut.

With the major creative and production decisions now resolved, and the team charging full speed toward completing the game, inXile and I have decided it is time for me to depart from the studio.
He's presenting it as a natural course of action, but it really isn't. So the creative decisions have been made, but the director is the one making sure they're properly implemented.
Also, "Inxile and I have decide" seems very carefully worded, and doesn't sound voluntary.
I am proud of the project that I'm leaving in capable hands, and while I do not know what I'll do next, I look forward to new challenges and opportunities.
That doesn't sound like it was preplanned.

Apparently Kevin also created a blog earlier this month.
In the first post titled "An Unexpected Journey" he suggests he hasn't been involved with TToN since september:

[...]Generous backers supported us for a record-breaking (for Kickstarter video games) $4.2M, an honor we held for more than two years. From that time, through last month, I was the project lead for TTON.

In the second post, called "Crowdfunding isn't just about the money" he had some interesting words:
Throughout Torment’s Kickstarter, I struggled with this aspect – my very job was, for that point in time – to raise funds. The more I raised, the healthier the budget I’d have to work with, the better game we could create, the happier we could ultimately make our backers. It’s how crowdfunding works, right?

In retrospect, I wonder if I hadn’t done Torment and its backers a disservice. I’ve backed dozens of Kickstarters, and many of them focus on the money raised, at least sometimes. I cringe a little bit when I read an update that emphasizes how much money has come in, how more money should be raised, and how important it is to fund or to reach a certain stretch goal. But I’ve grown to believe this perspective is somewhat particular to me, a bias stemming from my personal experiences. A bias that perhaps limited our potential.

[...]

One of the first things Brian Fargo emphasized to me was how much crowdfunding is about goodwill toward the backers. It’s what I wanted to hear, and it’s part of what brought me to inXile and to Torment. I’m a Lawful Good paladin at heart.
At least I strive to be. Even when it’s clearly about the money, I refuse to accept that. I want to live in a world where goodwill is the norm. So I pretend I do and attempt to act accordingly.

Anyway, Kevin is a great guy, clearly talented, I'm sure he'll land on his feet, but unfortunate news nonetheless.

Ogimachi

I have no doubts that the game will suffer too much from this.
PoE ran out of money during development, and Obsidian had to spend some of its own money to finish it. The game took 2,5 years to be released. It's been 2,5 years since the TToN Kickstarter. I think it's having problems already.

Sijil

PoE ran out of money during development, and Obsidian had to spend some of its own money to finish it. The game took 2,5 years to be released. It's been 2,5 years since the TToN Kickstarter. I think it's having problems already.

Yeah but when did InXile shift its full focus towards TTON? Most of the those years were spent on Wasteland 2 and the Director's Cut. Do they have separate teams to handle two games at the same time?

Ogimachi

Yeah but when did InXile shift its full focus towards TTON? Most of the those years were spent on Wasteland 2 and the Director's Cut. Do they have separate teams to handle two games at the same time?
Most of each team, specially the most important roles, worked on a single game, but animators, programmers and scripters were shared. Now there's an unanounced project coming plus Bard's Tale IV. In fact, Chris Keenan was supposed to be BT4's director IIRC, so I don't know what's going to happen there now.

vocab

Hey, no one said making a sequel to Torment was going to be easy. Also, it cant be easy to make a sequel as good as that game either. I wonder if there was conflicting ideas going on, and they basically had to settle on something because they needed to get this shit done, and some people got mad that their vision or ideas got scrapped completely

draetenth

I wonder if it's something like what may have happened with PIllars and Avellone vs Obsidian except this is happening before the game is out.

Ogimachi

Hey, no one said making a sequel to Torment was going to be easy. Also, it cant be easy to make a sequel as good as that game either. I wonder if there was conflicting ideas going on, and they basically had to settle on something because they needed to get this shit done, and some people got mad that their vision or ideas got scrapped completely
There must've been some tough discussion over there, considering he left the project back in september and we're only hearing about it now. Still, if money was a problem, it doesn't make sense IMO to open a new office in New Orleans at the same time.

I wonder if it's something like what may have happened with PIllars and Avellone vs Obsidian except this is happening before the game is out.
That one's an even bigger mystery, because we know it was a resignation. He still seems to speak fondly of Feargus (Obsidian's CEO), so it probably wasn't a beef between them.
All we know for a fact is that 3/4 of MCA's content in Pillars of Eternity was cut and he doesn't take credit (his words) for the final iterations of the companions he wrote. We also know he was working on another project, and that Feargus implied it was a new IP in which MCA was given free rein to create a new universe.

A lot of people think (myself included) that project got canned and this had something to do with his departure, but it's just speculation.

Top Bottom