• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

explodet

Merry Christmas!

Spent post-dinner being yakked at by my nephews about video games for about an hour straight. I don't think they expected me to keep up with them, though they lost me at the Skylanders talk.

Quadratic

Anyone out for Boxing day? It's going to be extremely icy out until the salters get around. Already saw a few fender benders on the roads. It's like a skating rink!

ahdurian

been looking at deals, and nothing really interesting me
though i do need to get a new monitor since i think mine is dying. thinking of getting a 4k one

also, been having so many good OW games lately. been playing comp and sticking as a team with some good randoms is good fun

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
been looking at deals, and nothing really interesting me
though i do need to get a new monitor since i think mine is dying. thinking of getting a 4k one

also, been having so many good OW games lately. been playing comp and sticking as a team with some good randoms is good fun
From the reading I've done and the people I've asked (Hazaro from the PC gaming thread) 4K gaming isn't worth it.

I got this on sale yesterday:
http://m.ncix.com/products/sku/100910/1049

250 off the regular price, but it looks like it went back up. From what I've read, nothing runs 4K that great and I believe all the 4k monitors are 60hz, so it doesn't seem worth it at this point unless you're just getting an actual 4K TV that is going to double for TV watching.

The next thing I'm looking at now is an actual PC that can take advantage of the monitor...

ahdurian

thinking about it, but i ended up getting an ASUS one for the time being, which I got for about 399.99. i wanted to test how the PS4Pro runs on it mainly. didn't want to buy a 4k tv since they're basically double hte price of a monitor.
this one can double for my PS4 and PC for now.
i have at least 14 days to test this out and decide if i want to keep it so we'll see

zroid

Banned
I dunno what to make of this weather. It's kinda disgusting but at the same time a nice reprieve?

Happy Boxingmas, TO-GAF

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
thinking about it, but i ended up getting an ASUS one for the time being, which I got for about 399.99. i wanted to test how the PS4Pro runs on it mainly. didn't want to buy a 4k tv since they're basically double hte price of a monitor.
this one can double for my PS4 and PC for now.
i have at least 14 days to test this out and decide if i want to keep it so we'll see
I gotta figure something out with these monitors...I'm going to have two lying around very soon in addition to two desktops and several old laptops... :/

Edit: also send me an invite for OW some time. Don't worry, I'll only attack torb is we're down by two. :D

Renewed

It's pretty chill but not bad. Heating isn't on so I'm just bearing with whatever happens.

I gotta figure something out with these monitors...I'm going to have two lying around very soon in addition to two desktops and several old laptops... :/

Edit: also send me an invite for OW some time. Don't worry, I'll only attack torb is we're down by two. :D

What would those two other monitors be? I'm interested in getting a second monitor at some point for my PC and consoles.

gabbo

Okay, so I lied. I'm running from freezing rain in Ottawa on a via train to Union before hopefully heading to my parents place after that.
How is it in Toronto right now TDotGAF? Did teamheat win the day?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit teamcold, we couldnt have held out one more day? Ugh. Next time I'll bring the freezing rain with me.
SlowLoneHerculesbeetle-size_restricted.gif

@renewed send me a PM cause I'm going to forget that you asked.

Edit: lol goddamn it and now I can't stop watching this gif.

soultron

Banned
Random question, but does anyone know where I might try looking for old Sony professional or broadcast video monitors? I just got back into PS2 and PS1 stuff and these monitors are highly sought after but hard to find. I figure TO must have some of these kicking around from TV and film production here in the city.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Random question, but does anyone know where I might try looking for old Sony professional or broadcast video monitors? I just got back into PS2 and PS1 stuff and these monitors are highly sought after but hard to find. I figure TO must have some of these kicking around from TV and film production here in the city.
They pop up on Kijiji and are quickly sold for ridiculous prices now. :(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You have an example of what these monitors are or look like?

Damn...I forget I don't have a CRT monitor anymore yet I still have the old PS consoles kicking around...

In unrelated news, I've finally done buying a new gaming rig; I got a 144hz g sync monitor and a 1080 gtx core i7 desktop for under 3000 including all taxes and shipping.

soultron

Banned
Thanks for posting that, Fuzzy.

I tried looking into electronics surplus stores but it seems all of the major ones in TO have closed down in the past few years. Or moved away.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I saw a 14" Sony PVM pop up on Kijiji a few weeks ago and it became a bidding war between 3 people (the seller kept updating the listing) and last I saw it was over $400. Fucking retro gamers are over paying for these things.

soultron

Banned
I saw a 14" Sony PVM pop up on Kijiji a few weeks ago and it became a bidding war between 3 people (the seller kept updating the listing) and last I saw it was over $400. Fucking retro gamers are over paying for these things.
There's a 13" one being sold on eBay, with free shipping from QC right now for 270. Don't know if that's a good deal or not. It's a PVM-1340.

I don't think the Markham location is as good as the downtown ones although I did go during the initial opening period where it was insanely packed.

Mupod

I saw a nice PVM at a small electronics shop in mississauga not too long ago, but they were WELL aware that a certain demographic was paying a lot for them.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Finally going to Sansotei for lunch today in Markham

lessee what all the hype is about

I don't think the Markham location is as good as the downtown ones although I did go during the initial opening period where it was insanely packed.

I've only been to the two downtown and way prefer the Yonge St location over Dundas. Been to both at least 5, or 6 times, so no small sampling. Yonge St is rarely as busy and everything from portions of meat to the broth, seem better to me.

soultron

Banned
Which ramen place is better in your mind? One in Vancouver?

Wait wait, I thought you said you loved Sansotei. Now I'm confused....
I do like Sansotei. I think it's very good. But Kinton was my first TO ramen experience and I fell in love with it. Also, their karaage is da bessst in the city.

Quick

Banned
I'm pretty beat on ramen. At this point, I'll eat from anywhere and be satisfied. I haven't been to Sansotei in at least a couple of years, it was alright as far as I remember.

I saw Tampopo at the Lightbox last week and they gave me a coupon for Kinton. I've never been to that one, actually. What's the best location? Anyone check out that new one on Church St (asking since it's the closest to me)?

zroid

Banned

That's funny because it was insanely packed today and we had to go somewhere else or we were going to miss our movie D:

well I'll try again some other time I guess

dluu13

It's very good but I still love Kinton the most. What's your favourite in Toronto?

Which ramen place is better in your mind? One in Vancouver?

I'm actually not the best person to ask because I'm just not that into ramen overall.
maybe that's why i don't get the hype lol

Yeah. I agree. I prefer cha shu that's fatty and thick... don't really like the thin burnt looking pieces at Sansotei.
I'm just there for the big fatty pieces of pork belly but you only ever get like a couple of slices.

AAK

Greetings Toronto GAF! I just landed a job in Downtown Toronto near Union station starting mid January. I'm gonna be moving in with some family in Brampton from Ottawa for the first month or two. I wonder if any of you guys know about any places I can check for Brampton car pool services? I wonder if there is some kind of forum or classifieds people in Brampton post some kind of rideshares going to the GO Train station every morning. If I can set something up I can shave off 30 minutes from my daily commute if I have to rely on the public transportation.

Thanks in advance!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually not the best person to ask because I'm just not that into ramen overall.
maybe that's why i don't get the hype lol

I'm just there for the big fatty pieces of pork belly but you only ever get like a couple of slices.
How can a Generic Asian not be into ramen? D:

Yeah. I agree. I prefer cha shu that's fatty and thick... don't really like the thin burnt looking pieces at Sansotei.
Burnt = bad
Blowtorched = good

right?
..............right.........?!

Greetings Toronto GAF! I just landed a job in Downtown Toronto near Union station starting mid January. I'm gonna be moving in with some family in Brampton from Ottawa for the first month or two. I wonder if any of you guys know about any places I can check for Brampton car pool services? I wonder if there is some kind of forum or classifieds people in Brampton post some kind of rideshares going to the GO Train station every morning. If I can set something up I can shave off 30 minutes from my daily commute if I have to rely on the public transportation.

Thanks in advance!

:/ I don't have much to add. If you're a dev, maybe you can try to work from home as much as you can. It's going to be a loooong commute...

Thanks in advance!
moving to brampton?!!??! my condolences :p

That's all I have to contribute, useless I know. Congrats on the job though.

Top Bottom