• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torrents Suck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

I hate this damn bittorrent crap!! EVERY client screws up my PC. I've tried Shadow's Experimental, ABC, the official one, and that Azureas (or whatever) client, and they all screw up my PC. IF the transfer starts and connects to the tracker after a while all my web browsers freeze up along with all of my internet traffic and I have to hard restart my PC via the reset switch since I can't access the Start menu or the CTL+ALT+DEL menu. This behavior happens with EVERY client I've tried, so I conclude torrents just suck. Whoever came up with this horrid way of distributing files is retarded and should be shot. Thank you.

teiresias said:
I hate this damn bittorrent crap!! EVERY client screws up my PC. I've tried Shadow's Experimental, ABC, the official one, and that Azureas (or whatever) client, and they all screw up my PC. IF the transfer starts and connects to the tracker after a while all my web browsers freeze up along with all of my internet traffic and I have to hard restart my PC via the reset switch since I can't access the Start menu or the CTL+ALT+DEL menu. This behavior happens with EVERY client I've tried, so I conclude torrents just suck. Whoever came up with this horrid way of distributing files is retarded and should be shot. Thank you.

Same thing happens to me. :(

Do you guys use ZoneAlarm? This happened to me too and I traced the problem to ZA after reading about it affecting BT. Apparently ZA 5.0 has trouble witht he VT connections and eventually causes it to freeze up. I uninstalled it and reinstalled 4.5 and I haven't had any problems. So you may want to try that.

If it still doesn't work, I'm not sure what you can do.

robochimp

Have you guys tried using SHareaza as your torrent client? I've had issue with some of the others too but none with Shareaza

You're probably having issues with your network card. BT puts A LOT of stress on it. Google your card to see if anyone else is having issues, and check for driver updates. I know with my last Linksys card I had once my download hit 200kb/s I would get a blue screen. Got a D-Link card and it's all good now.

SD-Ness

What's the chance of getting busted with torrent?

Someone was telling me that sites like suprnova.org aren't safe anymore...that true?

Ecrofirt said:
MAME
Multi-Arcade-Machine-Emulator, I believe is what it stands for

I know what MAME is, but recently everyone is download this "#mame" (emphasis on the #) and it's supposed to be a really gigantic file.

Ecrofirt

I don't know why it's called #mame on Suprnova, but it's like 9 gigs.

I've had it for a bit, but it too me forever to get.

teiresias

Well, my PC doesn't suck. AMD Barton running at 2.2Ghz, with 512MB RAM, on a ABIT NF7-S mobo using the mobo on-board LAN and WindowsXP Pro. At the most a fresh install of WinXP might be in order, but it's a little early for my yearly OS reinstall.

I am using ZoneAlarm 5.0 so maybe I'll try what was suggested and find 4.5 somewhere and install it instead. It does eventually stall and kills practically everything and brings the PC to a crawl, but I've also found that if there is an error like being unable to connect to the tracker that will also stall out the PC (symptoms include pushing a button in the quicklaunch toolbar and it stays depressed and the app never launches - basically the toolbar locks up, though I can double click desktop icons, etc.).

I haven't tried Shareazza, I'll hunt it down and try that in conjunction with the downgrade to ZA 4.5 and see if my luck improves.

teiresias

Hmmmm, anyone know where I can find ZoneAlarm 4.5? I can't seem to find it on the Zonelabs page. Is there an "archive" page I'm missing or something?

Diablos

Zero said:
What's the chance of getting busted with torrent?

Someone was telling me that sites like suprnova.org aren't safe anymore...that true?

Very true... you have no idea how easy it is to get the IP's distributing the data. Just to show you what I mean, I picked a random torrent from SuperNova's front page. To find out who's contributing to distributing it, all I had to do was right click the selected torrent, and go to "advanced details" - with no effort whatsoever, I now have the IP's of everyone distributing this TV show AVI file:

torrentips.jpg

I did this with ABC BitTorrent client.

If anti-piracy organizations get a hold of an IP they can easily find out who it belongs to.

teiresias

OK, I found ZA 4.5, and so far it seems to be working much better than before. I'll give it a through tomorrow before declaring victory though.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
As for safety, use Azureus with the safepeer plugin. It has an IP block list of over 7000 known ranges and is automatically updated every time you start Azureus.

Never download anything related to Universal. They monitor their property like Nazis.

College networks do something that allows companies to ping you constantly, even if you aren't doing anything. I hadn't downloaded in a couple of months, and peerguardian was picking up all sort of ranges. Nothing on my computer was running other than it, so it wasn't web navigation. So college networks are typically very risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom