• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tory MPs block bid to reveal if Brexit will give the NHS £350million a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Chuka Umunna wanted to force the government to publish a report estimating how Brexit would affect health spending - but it was blocked

The Labour MP tried to force the government to publish a report estimating how health spending will be affected after Britain leaves the EU.

He launched his bid after the £350million-a-week claim was plastered across posters and a bus by the Boris Johnson- and Michael Gove-backed Vote Leave campaign.

Yet Mr Johnson and Mr Gove were among those who voted against Mr Umunna's amendment tonight - as did Labour Leave bigwig Gisela Stuart.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mps-block-bid-reveal-9781752

What a surprise...

Scum

uUu9hwp.png

123rl

Not surprising at all. The surprising thing here is that anyone believed that horse shit in the first place. Tories? Doing something that isn't the absolutely destruction of the NHS? And people believed them? Are they stupid?!

finley83

Banned
Well you see, promises made during the campaign weren't legally binding, so they don't actually have to be implemented once the campaign is over.

just like the result

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
Self serving twats 😠

Time to "take back control" from these morons!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Not surprising at all. The surprising thing here is that anyone believed that horse shit in the first place. Tories? Doing something that isn't the absolutely destruction of the NHS? And people believed them? Are they stupid?!

Honestly I think UK voters - especially the less sophisticated ones, got tricked by a deceptive campaign that played on fear and racism and got tricked into voting against their own interests.

I'm lucky because I live in the US and it could never happen here.

Log4Girlz

Honestly I think UK voters - especially the less sophisticated ones, got tricked by a deceptive campaign that played on fear and racism and got tricked into voting against their own interests.

I'm lucky because I live in the US and it could never happen here.

We voted a black man in as president, we're immune to such nonsense

DavidDesu

Also backtracked on Camerons pledge to take in 3000 lone child refugees. We've voted to stop that and have only taken in 350. I fucking hate "my" country. The UK, as far as England being the majority and Westminster running things, has never felt like my country. And I hope my actual country, Scotland, can get out of this vile bullshit very soon. I'm anxious every day at what the future holds.

dalyr95

People who complain about this and misinformed voters make me laugh. The whole point of this bill is to be as narrow as possible to authorise the govt to exercise article 50. It's only ~20 lines so it's narrow scope will pass the lords. It's got nothing to do with EU citizens rights or £350m to the NHS. Those tabling amendments are basically trying to filibuster.

commedieu

Banned
Can we start fresh somewhere?

The smart UK people, and the smart American people? Leave the morons to enjoy their dumb racist negative economy?

Re-vote needed after lies exposed tbh.

Lib Dems proposed an amendment that would grant the British public a referendum on the final deal (new deal or remain) and it was rejected by both Labour and the Tories.

I hope people remember that at the next general election. :)

Nerazar

Re-vote needed after lies exposed tbh.

Nope, that's not how democracy works. Once the vote is cast, it's over. It does not matter if they lied to you or put a gun to your head "helping" you to vote properly. They will probably defund NHS because of the raising costs of Brexit and people will love it.

Lib Dems proposed an amendment that would grant the British public a referendum on the final deal (new deal or remain) and it was rejected by both Labour and the Tories.

How would 'remain' even be an option after triggering Art. 50?

Empty

no government is going to support an amendment by an opposition mp that exists solely to score a political point against them

StayDead

I know you're just defending your party, but it's too late for that. By the time you could possibly get back into power, it'll be far too late.

(I'll be voting Lib Dems when I can)

dalyr95

The govt has accepted a take it or leave it vote. Brexit is happening.

Rodelero

People who complain about this and misinformed voters make me laugh. The whole point of this bill is to be as narrow as possible to authorise the govt to exercise article 50. It's only ~20 lines so it's narrow scope will pass the lords. It's got nothing to do with EU citizens rights or £350m to the NHS. Those tabling amendments are basically trying to filibuster.

Trying to constrain the government when it follows through on 'the will of the people' is not filibustering. The fact is that, so far, Theresa May has shown herself to be nothing more and nothing less than a ruthless opportunist who embodies the absolute worst of populism.

There is a huge chunk of the UK population that is full of rage, and wants us to leave the EU, along with literally anything prepended by Europe. Despite making it extremely clear prior to the referendum that she believes Britain's best interests are served inside the European Union, she is now wiling to throw the baby out with the bathwater merely because it's politically convenient. She is willing to use EU residents as bargaining chips, is downright aloof when it comes to the problems posed by Northern Ireland, is making it eminently clear on a daily basis that she couldn't give a damn about the damage this will likely do to our country and its economy.

MPs want to try and keep some semblance of sanity, to prevent her from doing whatever the daily mail asks her to do next... that's not filibustering.

Xun

It has been revealed that people who typically voted for Brexit aren't as educated, so yes, yes they are.

We're fucked.

The govt has accepted a take it or leave it vote. Brexit is happening.

But there's been opportunities to fight it and our government have just shown no spine. There should be safeguards to prevent the public from being allowed to vote for their own economic failure on campaigns built on lies in the firSt place.

There's been no end of reasons this shouldn't have ever gone through but all we ever get is 'will if the people' and 'remoaners' thrown at us and told we should shut up and accept our fate.

It's honestly mind boggling to me. It's way too easy to tear it all down for little more than the fun of it and if you don't like it, apparently you should and it's your fault that you don't. Wtf went wrong.

samn

The whole point of tacking those things on to this bill is to force the government to accept them and give Parliament some control of the process. A bill that simply allows the government to activate Article 50 gives them a blank cheque.

Can we just punch Gove in the nuts every week to get our money's worth?

I mean you could, but eventually you'd run the risk of throwing a bad punch, hurting your hand in some way, then be patient in the already groaning line plaguing the NHS. Meanwhile, Gove, private treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom