• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toy Soldiers: Cold War |OT| I came to get my toy.

Gowans

banner.png

boxartlg.jpg

PLATFORM: XBLA
PRICE: 1200msp - $15
RELEASE DATE: 8/17/2011
DEVELOPER: Signal Studios
PUBLISHER: Xbox LIVE Arcade
GENRE: Other, Action & Adventure, Shooter, Strategy & Simulation
FEATURES
Offline players 2
Offline co-op 2
ONLINE FEATURES
Online multiplayer 2
Online co-op 2
Leaderboards

GAME INFO:
The Cold War is decided when ‘80s era action toys come alive and wage war! Toy Soldiers: Cold War blends intense first person combat with addictive action strategy, whether you’re scrapping solo or jumping into the fray with friends. Battle in campaign, competitive, co-op modes or fight for the highest score in mini-games!

SCREENS:
screenlg7.jpg

screenlg15.jpg

screenlg12.jpg

screenlg11.jpg

VIDEO:
YouTube Trailer
GiantBomb QuickLook

REVIEWS:
MetaCritic

Marketplace.Xbox.com Page

zoner said:
there's an achievement called Demolition Man

goty

Finally, an answer to the question, "What do Apache: Air Assault, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, The Club, Double Dragon, Saints Row 2, Section 8: Prejudice and Toy Soldiers: Cold War have in common?"

madmackem

HAHAHA, its pretty damn cool this. As an 80s kid i grew up with arnie, sly, etc with these types of movies and it just makes me think if i had this back then i wouldve been the happiest kid in the fucking world.

Gaspode_T

This game is awesome, constant grin while playing it, lots of variety and better environments than the first. The helicopter is easier to fly than the planes were. The 'in unit' modes are more fun to play as and the barrage attacks are butt kicking and 'rad' (80s mode on now)

Gowans

Getting messages of a good mate of mine who's now number one on the leaderboard on the first mini game.

The leaderboard is gona kill him it's everywhere

OnPoint said:
Toysthatkills disagrees with it wholeheartedly haha
I disagree with every review of it on the internet, it seems. If I wasn't so confident that I'm right about it I might have started to doubt myself. Luckily, I am right =P

It's like the reviewers all saw it and went "OH MY GOD I REMEMBER ALL THIS SHIT FROM MY CHILDHOOD ELEVEN OUT OF TEN" and forgot that they were actually supposed to look at how good the gameplay is. Nice one, guys. I remember Rubik's Cubes and VHS cassettes and Rambo as well, it's still a rubbish game.

legbone

in my opinion, this is the best game of summer of arcade this year. don't get me wrong, bastion was beautiful and really impressive but i am having more fun with this. it's just so fun to wipe out wave after wave of the enemy. usually i hate tower defense, but this has enough hands on killing to make it seem more like an action game. i played the tutorial and the jungle level while on my lunch break. loved shooting the enemy infantry while they crossed the rice paddies. and it seems to be just the right amount of over the top to make me laugh. the commando is so stupid (in a good way). anyway, as soon as i backed out of the game i immediately purchased the original toy soldiers. i'm going to have loads of fun tonight.

Enjoyed the demo until it froze up on me when my chopper crashed saying I had unlocked a commando achievement or something. Game seems pretty buggy. Like at the very beginning shooting the jacks and other objects and they just fall straight through the table?? Also sometimes when you get in something like an artillery cannon or chopper, the control text is like doubled-up and overlaying itself or something. The game looks really soft visually too.

All that aside, I'll pick this up eventually.

VALIS

Phonomezer said:
A HUGE improvement over the last TS game, holy shit!

How so? I'm up to my eyeballs in Age of Empires Online right now, but I really liked the first Toy Soldiers, so if this is an improvement over that, I'll have to multi-task!

Gaspode_T

SuperSonic1305 said:
I was going to get the first one but it's still 1200 points. Should I just get this?

The first one is pretty frequently put on sale

They have a completely different atmosphere, the first one is more like the green plastic army men, gritty World War I scene with old school weaponry.

The new one is set in the 80s with GI Joe style toys and fighter jets, the environments are also a little more varied. However the first one has some pretty cool bosses too and red baron style dogfighting. I like both of them but the first one is a little drab graphically so I kind of never finished it.

If you like war games, Panzer General etc you would probably like the old one a lot though

I downloaded and beat it yesterday. It took about 4.5 hours on normal. After that, I polished off the first Toy Soldiers which I've been working on since last week.

Cold War is better with it's random rewards and more access to vehicles throughout the levels. Both are great. The sci fi DLC for the first game is probably my favorite.

WOAH WOAH WOAH, am I missing something? Did I do something wrong? Please don't tell me this game has NO SOVIET CAMPAIGN. I just beat the US campaign and totally expect their to be one since the first game had one. Brad on Giantbomb was going on about how the Soviet commando is just like Ivan Draco (of course that could be in a vs or mini game). If this is true then that REALLY sucks.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
robut said:
WOAH WOAH WOAH, am I missing something? Did I do something wrong? Please don't tell me this game has NO SOVIET CAMPAIGN. I just beat the US campaign and totally expect their to be one since the first game had one. Brad on Giantbomb was going on about how the Soviet commando is just like Ivan Draco (of course that could be in a vs or mini game). If this is true then that REALLY sucks.
You play as the Russians in versus mode

I'm loving Cold War a lot more than the first Toy Soldiers. This one just feels like it moves at a quicker pace and I really love the 80s atmosphere. Commandos kick so much ass - "You want a war, you got a war! ARRRGGGHH!!!"

I'm having trouble getting 2 Decorations. Both are on the level Surrounded.
"Earn 15 thrill rides against infantry." What's a thrill ride?
"Earn 50 assists." What's the easiest way to get assists? The most I have gotten are a handful at best.

mujun

CitizenCope said:
I'm having trouble getting 2 Decorations. Both are on the level Surrounded.
"Earn 15 thrill rides against infantry." What's a thrill ride?
"Earn 50 assists." What's the easiest way to get assists? The most I have gotten are a handful at best.

Thrill rides are easy, from memory you need to do it with a level 3 anti tank turret, lower levels won't work. Hold the fire button down when you shoot and guide the missile, that is a "thrill ride".

For the "assist", you need to use mortars, level 1 ones are the best. When they hit, they cause infantry to slow down and turn red, shoot them in this state with an MG nest and you'll get an assist.

Top Bottom