• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for Loving (2016) - Dir. Jeff Nichols, stars Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33g-ZHBQdNU

From acclaimed writer/director Jeff Nichols, “Loving” celebrates the real-life courage and commitment of an interracial couple, Richard and Mildred Loving (Joel Edgerton and Ruth Negga), who married and then spent the next nine years fighting for the right to live as a family in their hometown. Their civil rights case, Loving v. Virginia, went all the way to the Supreme Court, which in 1967 reaffirmed the very foundation of the right to marry – and their love story has become an inspiration to couples ever since.

It apparently did really well in various film festivals.

I am always down for Jeff Nichols

Looks great. *looks at Youtube comments* Jesus Christ, it's amazing how much white supremacist rhetoric and pseudoscience has come back in full force on online public platforms.

Mariolee

BRUH

I completely forgot she was in that show.

Yeah, shit got...inhuman.

B_OFgbuU0AA09xU.jpg:large

Fight me.

Sorry boys. Those lame ass goggles (and kid in general), teen fantasy CGI hidden worlds, and wide-eyed Spielbergian innocence just did not jive with the heavy tone of the rest of the movie. Like I'd be down with it with the serious characters and car chases and creepy church dudes, and then the kid would start glowing and talking about energy bubbles and knowing his destiny and and making friends with the plucky NSA Kylo Ren and I'm sorry I can't it's so dumb.

It was like 75% of a really good movie at least. Loved the beginning. But Jeff Nichols is better than that.

I thought it was cool that he did his Spielberg homage without compromising his own thing. Separates him from a lame copy-paste director like Abrams

You get your close encounters-esque awe but then you realize these people's actions have consequences and the director ain't gonna let you forget that. Plus Michael Shannon da gawd. Literally can't go wrong with him in anything.

inm8num2

The Jeff Nichols love warms my heart. Possibly the best director under 40.

This looks fantastic. Edgerton is a great actor and fairly underrated - dude can throw a lot of weight behind his performances. Just know Ruth Negga from Preacher but she's great in this trailer - it could be a breakout role for her that garners some big time recognition.

Plus it never hurts to throw in some Michael Shannon for good measure.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I thought it was cool that he did his Spielberg homage without compromising his own thing. Separates him from a lame copy-paste director like Abrams

You get your close encounters-esque awe but then you realize these people's actions have consequences and the director ain't gonna let you forget that. Plus Michael Shannon da gawd. Literally can't go wrong with him in anything.
Word. Midnight Special was great, and made it even more abundantly clear that Super 8 was tripe. I hope its small box office doesn't hurt him at all. At least he already has Loving locked and loaded, and it's got the critical reaction down.

I saw this movie tonight. It was definitely very 60's; I was impressed by the set designs and general period production design. At least that's what grabbed my attention most about the movie.
(Sorry for bumping this, but I searched and couldn't find a newer thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom