• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "Ray" - Ray Charles bio-pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshifumi

Banned
i saw a poster for this and thought it was the stupidest thing ever, but i saw the trailer and it doesn't look that bad

Leon

If it succeeds, it will probably push Foxx's career to another level. From the trailer itself, it looks like it's gonna be a great performance, Ali-style.

fart

Savant
i was surprised. the trailer makes it not look like a piece of shit. i still have my doubts though.

Meier

The Faceless Master said:
holy shit, jamie foxx is looking like a serious actor... what the fuck is going on?!

He's the front-runner for best actor with this film and one of the very short list for best supporting actor in Collateral. His serious stuff is getting a lot of recognition this year. Not to mention his performance in that FX movie as the former gang leader that turns straight was quite heralded as well.

fbcamp

Banned
Mike Works said:
He's the front runner for best actor? Where are you getting this from?

I don't know if he's basing this off the trailer, but you really should see it. Foxx is looking good in the role, I hope that he gets a little more recognition in Hollywood.

I watched the Trailer.. he looked fine in it, but nothing Oscar worthy. I think a lot of people are shocked by this because they think Jamie Foxx is just some FOX style raunchy dumbass comic, but anyone who's seen him in Any Given Sunday (or the trailer for Collateral, I guess) should know better.

I'm not familiar with that site you linked, Meier. On one hand they say Ray places high on the chart because of the trailer, which makes little sense to me, especially with Alexander being #2 following a very average trailer. I guess there's got to me more good word of mouth stemming from other aspects of the movie, because I just don't see anything amazingly special about the movie in regards to Oscar contention. No matter how well an actor nails someone he's portraying, be it Smith with Ali or Carrey with Kaufman, they just don't seem to get Oscar recognition these days.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Mike Works said:
be it Smith with Ali or Carrey with Kaufman, they just don't seem to get Oscar recognition these days.

Not commenting on their work as actors, but both of those movies just rehashed clips in public view for years. If you knew anything about Ali or Kaufman going into those flicks, you didn't learn anything new from the flicks themselves. Both were painfully average movies at best, especially Ali. The acting performances were basically charactures based on clips in the public domain. Neither movie went out of it's way to break ground artistically.

Oscar buzz or not, both performances were utterly forgettable, since they were rehashes of what the public already knew about the characters themselves.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone find it a bit weird that there's a trailer for this movie with little more than month after his death?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ferrio said:
Anyone find it a bit weird that there's a trailer for this movie with little more than month after his death?

No they were working on this project last year... it's just now is a good time to release it... unfortunately.

Mike Works said:
I watched the Trailer.. he looked fine in it, but nothing Oscar worthy. I think a lot of people are shocked by this because they think Jamie Foxx is just some FOX style raunchy dumbass comic, but anyone who's seen him in Any Given Sunday (or the trailer for Collateral, I guess) should know better.

I'm not familiar with that site you linked, Meier. On one hand they say Ray places high on the chart because of the trailer, which makes little sense to me, especially with Alexander being #2 following a very average trailer. I guess there's got to me more good word of mouth stemming from other aspects of the movie, because I just don't see anything amazingly special about the movie in regards to Oscar contention. No matter how well an actor nails someone he's portraying, be it Smith with Ali or Carrey with Kaufman, they just don't seem to get Oscar recognition these days.

i always forget about any given sunday for some reason, and remember stuff like held up and booty call...

Socreges

Banned
I've been listening to the song from the trailer, "You Don't Know Me", a lot. So soothing. I think I must have heard it as a kid (maybe in a movie), so there's a tinge of nostalgia there.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I generally have no interest in biopics but I saw the trailer before The Bourne Supremacy today and came away quite interested. It seemed to get a good response, and unless it gets utterly panned I think I'll go to the theaters and check it out. Honestly looks pretty cool.

As for Oscar contention... I don't even care. The Oscars are far more along the lines of popularity contests with a dash of Hollywood politics than any kind of real attempt at rewarding quality.

Meier

Speaking of Foxx and Oscar buzz.. this article just went up today on MSNBC's site -- from August 2nd's Newsweek (much more at the link):

And in October, Foxx stars for the first time, in what ought to be a career-making role: as the driven, drug-addicted Ray Charles in the biopic "Ray." His performance has been getting Oscar buzz since the movie wrapped earlier this year.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5505466/site/newsweek/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom