• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

So, I'm rewatching Transformers: Super-God Masterforce (which is easily my fave Transformers series), but there's just one thing about the show I never understood: how come at the end
when Devil Z is killed, the Autobot Headmaster Juniors are separated from their transtectors? I get the Godmasters being separated, because when Devil Z dies, the link he made between the Godmasters and humans is broken. But the Headmaster Junior transtectors and Master-Braces were made by the Autobots, Devil Z had nothing to do with Minerva, Shuta, and Cab being bonded to transtectors.

I thought it was only the Godmaster bracelets that were created by Devil Z and the Headmaster Jr. ones were created from the technology on Planet Master though?

CloakBass

Question for the experienced toy buyers here: is this listing throwing up any red flags? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAKARA-TOMY...250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d769c9f2

My main concern is that it seems to be a pretty low price (compared to what else my cursory searching turned up) and is from Hong Kong. The figures are all loose too which strikes me as odd considering they're otherwise listed as brand new and genuine. Feedback seems to be alright.

I haven't bought a Transformer figure in maybe 17 years and never online so forgive me if this seems obvious.

Question for the experienced toy buyers here: is this listing throwing up any red flags? http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAKARA-TOMY...250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d769c9f2

My main concern is that it seems to be a pretty low price (compared to what else my cursory searching turned up) and is from Hong Kong. The figures are all loose too which strikes me as odd considering they're otherwise listed as brand new and genuine. Feedback seems to be alright.

I haven't bought a Transformer figure in maybe 17 years and never online so forgive me if this seems obvious.
Low price, no packaging, no photos of the actual item (those are stock photos), ships from Hong Kong, and a known knock off is in circulation.

Yeah, I'd stay away, unless you don't mind potentially getting a knock off.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

All the photos are stock photos of the product. I'd ask for photos of the actual item you're buying. Knock offs of the Disney Label Mickey TF do exist, but they're easy to spot. They come on a card, for one thing, which makes the fact that this auction is for a loose one a concern, so you're right to be suspicious there. Aside from packaging, the knock off has opaque windows, while the Takara one has clear see-through windows so you can see the Mickey figure that rides in the cab. The knock off also does not come with the Mickey figure.

Unless there are other decos, I have an official TT and I don't recall there being that much grey.

Ovek

7Member7

Seller in Hong Kong, cheap, stock photos and description that says it's got no packaging. I would say it's a KO all day long.

CloakBass

Thanks guys. I sent the seller a message to see if they'd provide a photo. Pretty sure it's a boot, but I'll let you know if they respond.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Thanks guys. I sent the seller a message to see if they'd provide a photo. Pretty sure it's a boot, but I'll let you know if they respond.

Here's the KO for reference. Note the red crotchplate and the grey eyebrows/blast shield.

11_1242080982.jpg

A legit Takara version has an all-grey crotch and transparent smoke-grey eyebrows/blast shield. And, of course, includes the small Mickey figure.

HGdZTiV.jpg

jpatez34

Neo Member
Just paid a deposit of £39.99 to get this guy:

transformers-masterpiece-mp-10-optimus-prime.jpg

The end of May can't come soon enough! as can Apollyon AKA Megatron (which i'm still waiting patiently for!)

yami4ct

Well, those of you who wanted the original Menasor and Superion limbs, Hasbro will have you covered it looks like.

http://www.bwtf.com/node/3949

Glad Hasbro is doing these. I didn't really "need" them, as Generations has become a very much IDW focused line to me instead of updated G1, but glad they exist. Always out for more Combiner Wars figures as I've adored all of them so far. Only ones I've not bought are Optimus and I won't be buying Cyclonus. Cyclonus doesn't look enough like his MTMTE self to warrant me re-buying the character and the optimus sculpt was kind of odd. Other than that, the line is great.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Well, thanks to john tv, my two Masterpiece Exhausts arrived today from Japan (the other is for a friend of mine--I'm no damn scalper). I figured I'd post a few pics.

I don't own Masterpiece Wheeljack, so this was my first time playing with this mold. It's a pretty great little figure. It has a solid transformation that's not so complex that it becomes a hassle. And the deco and new head are both fantastic.

21W5lF9.jpg

Robot Mode

ALmur1W.jpg
evMktHJ.jpg

Exhaust comes with Wheeljack's Immobilizer device from the G1 episode "The Immobilizer." The missile doesn't actually launch--that was just some clever photography!

qiTvRkx.jpg

Size Comparisons

HMSkQuJ.jpg

Exhaust next to Generations Wheeljack (Deluxe Class)

WxuwIzi.jpg

Exhaust next to Classics Optimus Prime (Voyager Class)

Vehicle Mode

tsyWPDb.jpg

txPldrJ.jpg

YSrDIgd.jpg

I had to get in there with a magnifying glass, but that itty-bitty text in between those two yellow rectangles reads "SuperPower Machine The Exhaust."

yami4ct

I love the Wheeljack MP mold so much and I regret not getting an Exhaust order in when they were still available pre-scandle. That deco and head design looks really get on it. Just really couldn't get too excited to get a toy-only character.

My MP Star Saber is just shipping out of HLJ now, so he should be here next week. Will definitely share some pictures with you all.

So, what's the current retail price for voyager figures in the US? I'm in Seattle for Emerald City Comic Con and I found a Generations Brainstorm at Target, but it was $30.49! I thought these were like $20 to $25 in the states, I was shocked. I still bought it since its the last one they had, but damn.

the chris

So, what's the current retail price for voyager figures in the US? I'm in Seattle for Emerald City Comic Con and I found a Generations Brainstorm at Target, but it was $30.49! I thought these were like $20 to $25 in the states, I was shocked. I still bought it since its the last one they had, but damn.

Voyagers can usually be found on Amazon usually ranging from $20 for older ones to $27 for the newer ones. Brainstorm has been hovering around $26 for about two months.

Amazon

Bloodember

I have some Transformer Alternators I'm going to sell, I figured I'd ask here first before ebaying them. If people are interested in them I'll post them up in the morning. If not, I'll just post them on eBay. They are all sealed in box.

Edit: They are up on Ebay now.

Wark

another streak repaint.

TAK12102.jpg

finally bluestreak is actually blue.

Oh my! The awesome repaint paired with it being one of my dream cars, a Datsun/Nissan S30/Z-series/Fairlady Z, seals the deal on my pre-order. One day, I'm getting that car and restoring it and swapping out the engine! Mark my words!

Savitar

They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack~
csftMxa.jpg

Awesome.

I wonder which one is the informer in the group.

Also been bugging me for awhile now....how did the bots on Cybertron during the whole Dark Cybertron event know the Lost Light folk weren't you know........dead. Was so odd for Starscream to just call everyone up.

Looks like amazon got in wave 2 of combiner wars finally, but for some reason no Air Raid? Was only fig I wanted to complete Superion but they got the rest of wave 2 in

Wark

They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack~
csftMxa.jpg

Who are those guys? Are they combiners? I haven't been following the IDW Generation 1 continuity so they all look new to me. I really should start reading the IDW Transformer comics soon.

Who are those guys? Are they combiners? I haven't been following the IDW Generation 1 continuity so they all look new to me. I really should start reading the IDW Transformer comics soon.
They're the Decepticon Justice Division. Basically fucked up sadists that brutally punish, torture and eventually execute any Deception traitors and deserters.

Wark

So if I wanted to start reading the IDW comics, then where do I start? Do they all share the same continuity? If I'm not mistaken, the Generation 1 IDW comics are a reboot, right? I'd Google this stuff, but I don't want to bump into spoilers.

EDIT: So I guess I'm going to start off with Infiltration, Spotlight, and then Stormbringer since they were the first three series published by IDW. I'll work my way from there.

So if I wanted to start reading the IDW comics, then where do I start? Do they all share the same continuity? If I'm not mistaken, the Generation 1 IDW comics are a reboot, right? I'd Google this stuff, but I don't want to bump into spoilers.

EDIT: So I guess I'm going to start off with Infiltration, Spotlight, and then Stormbringer since they were the first three series published by IDW. I'll work my way from there.

Get Omnibus 1

Tizoc

Thanks for making it easier than I was making it out to be!
KuGsj.gif

Just to clarify, that would be this one, right? If that's the case, then consider it bought!

Thanks for the help!

Yup, if you want to start from the very very very beginning, start with that. Furman did some nice stuff during his time writing the TF series.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That's a Reprolabels sticker, most likely. They sell sheets of various versions of the faction symbols for just such an occasion. Definitely not included with the figure.

wOW THE animation in RiD is really good, and I like Sidewipe's hair haha
Travis Touchdown is now a Transformer
I was wierded out by
Green Grimlock though @_@ but damn I like how they gave his dinosaur form good arms, and overall I liked how they're handling him in this show.
What does Fixit transform into?

Overall I liked the premier,
but where'd Prime come from o_O His appearance is the only thing I disliked

I'm torn on
____________Prime's appearance.________________

On one hand, that was
a massive Deus Ex Machina. Not a good start for a show that's IMO already behind the 8Ball in comparison to Transformers Prime.

On the Other -
It's Optimus. I marked out so hard when that hand reached out. I knew it was him instantly. I love Optimus Prime and TFP Prime is my favorite incarnation of the character.

Cheerilee

On one hand, that was
a massive Deus Ex Machina.

I was just thinking recently about the concept of
Deus Ex Machina, and how it might not apply to the first episode of a TV series.

Deus Ex Machina is when the day is saved thanks to a force that hasn't been properly established by the writers, and couldn't possibly have been predicted by the audience. It's a cheap cop-out. The writers painted the hero into a corner and couldn't figure out how to get them out of it, so... a wizard did it. But the first episode of a TV series is meant to establish. Can a show introduce new concepts right off the bat, and still be chided for not explaining them sooner?

And, ghosts have been a part of Transformers since Starscream. And Prime already appeared to Bumblebee as a ghost, earlier in this same premiere, when he sent Bumblebee on this quest. Full materialization is new, but it's not new to ghost stories.

I think it might depend on where the series goes from here. Does the supernatural come more and more into play as the quest progresses? Will Prime show up again in the season-ending cliffhanger? If yes, then that last-minute save wasn't Deus Ex Machina, it was the required setup for things to come.

That or, maybe Transformers was actually better off when Kurtzman and Orci were writing for it.

I was just thinking recently about the concept of
Deus Ex Machina, and how it might not apply to the first episode of a TV series.

Deus Ex Machina is when the day is saved thanks to a force that hasn't been properly established by the writers, and couldn't possibly have been predicted by the audience. It's a cheap cop-out. The writers painted the hero into a corner and couldn't figure out how to get them out of it, so... a wizard did it. But the first episode of a TV series is meant to establish. Can a show introduce new concepts right off the bat, and still be chided for not explaining them sooner?

And, ghosts have been a part of Transformers since Starscream. And Prime already appeared to Bumblebee as a ghost, earlier in this same premiere, when he sent Bumblebee on this quest. Full materialization is new, but it's not new to ghost stories.

I think it might depend on where the series goes from here. Does the supernatural come more and more into play as the quest progresses? Will Prime show up again in the season-ending cliffhanger? If yes, then that last-minute save wasn't Deus Ex Machina, it was the required setup for things to come.

That or, maybe Transformers was actually better off when Kurtzman and Orci were writing for it.

I don't know. It seems the enitre point of the show is to have
Bumblebee mature and evolve into a leader. Optimus coming and taking out underbite completely cuts the legs out from underneath that budding storyline. I watched the third episode and all I could think about was "when's Optimus coming back?"

Cheerilee

I don't know. It seems the enitre point of the show is to have
Bumblebee mature and evolve into a leader. Optimus coming and taking out underbite completely cuts the legs out from underneath that budding storyline. I watched the third episode and all I could think about was "when's Optimus coming back?"

Unless they felt it was important to demonstrate that
Bumblebee isn't there yet.

Basically, it was a
great big Deus Ex Machina
, but I'm going to hold off on saying it was a bad thing, until I see more of the show.

Got in the leader class Megatron from Combiner Wars. Quite impressed with it! Combiner Wars has been a bit step up for Hasbro for the most part.

Mike M

Nick N
I saw the Armada remold/variant, and I wasn't particularly impressed. The legs on that one seem awfully narrow.

Plus his chest was obviously G1 Meg's chest, which was distracting.

I really liked Armada Megatron, he had a lot of gimmicks that mostly worked, and lots of neat little touches like the microscopic Decepticon insignia molded in the slider that raised his face shield. He just needs functioning knees and something other than neon orange highlights.

I got Armada Megs and kind of regret it.

The legs look weird and its hard to get it in a good pose.

The arms look atrocious when posed in any way other than straight down.

Not sure what I expected because its clear from the pictures the mold would be that way.

Still waiting for the TT Megs though because I don't like Hasbro's orange all over the place.

Wark

Tomorrow, I'm going to splurge my next paycheck on a new Transformer, but I'm torn on a bunch of different options. The budget doesn't really matter, but I want to try to keep it under at least $400 or so. You guys gotta help me pick it out!

My choices are:

Also, I can get these two locally at Toys 'R' Us:
I'm kinda leaning towards pre-ordering the X-Transbots - MX-I: Apollyon (Megatron) because Megs is one of my favorites and I'm kinda excited to get a non-Takara/Hasbro figure for the first time.

Also, which store should I be purchasing these things from? Does anyone have any positive experience with either BigBadToyStore or TFsource?

HELP ME OUT TF-BROS!

Top Bottom