• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers War for Cybertron |OT|

Spike

Effect said:
Really curious about this as well. I have an idea of what this version could be getting (pretty low number is appear in my head) but still would like to see what people say about it. I just would like to see better quality videos of this version as well. While I might be crazy with not going with the PS3/360 version right away I'm honestly curious about this version.

It's not bad. It is an on-rails shooter with a cover mechanic separated by short on-rails driving/flying portions. The graphics are well done and it is fluid, maybe 60 fps. The story is mostly just a little narration before the level begins and then there are some small scripted sections in game, but they only last a few seconds at most. I don't own it, but I played it at length at my local game store. Seems alright, but not worth the full price. Wait for a price drop. It will probably be scoring in the 5.0-7.0 range from most sites, but if I was to rate it on what I've played so far, it would be 6.5-7.5 area.

Spike

I went with the 360 version, but I did look at the specs for the PS3 version. It has a 5GB mandatory install.

I'm so torn! I really really really want this game, but I never buy anything at full price anymore. I'm hearing stories of people finding this game for $40 at Wal-Mart; is that true? Has that been holding up?

Spike

divisionbyzorro said:
I'm so torn! I really really really want this game, but I never buy anything at full price anymore. I'm hearing stories of people finding this game for $40 at Wal-Mart; is that true? Has that been holding up?

Canada only.

Zapages

I would definitely will buy it at 40 dollars... I can't see myself purchasing games at 60 dollars anymore... Too expensive for me.

Is the walmart deal in the US as well for 40 dollars for the PS3 version or its in Canada only?

Liberty4all

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Goddamn, no comparisons yet? I'm about to go blindly purchase the PS3 version.

I heard they are both identical. I'm sure though the comparison charts will start popping up anytime now.

Unfortunately for me the sale in Canada is a one day thing and copies are selling out everywhere, so I had to buy kind of blindly too.

JohngPR

Takao said:
Reminds me of the Armada game on PS2 without colour.

Oh how I loved that game.

If you liked that game, you'd love this one. It's a lot better, and the difficulty is a bit more balanced.

:lol

As far as load times, I didn't even notice them, so they can't be all that long. I do have the game installed though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Blackheim said:
Well, I thought I was going to play some and post some screens, but the game won't start when I press "Play" in Steam :((((
Specs? And have you tried running it in a compatibility mode or as an admin?

Damn, this game is fantastic! I played through the first 2 chapters of SP and played about an hour of MP so far. It is just a ton of fun to play, easily the best Transformers game I have played, even better than the PS2 game.

Blackheim

SapientWolf said:
Specs? And have you tried running it in a compatibility mode or as an admin?

Win7 64-bit w/ ATI 4870 drivers up to date. I could try compatibility, but it says it's supposed to work on Win7 *grumble*

Oh, if I could find the *.exe I could try it anyway. It doesn't seem to be located in my Steam folder for the game, ugh.

Pimpbaa

Bamelin said:
Unfortunately for me the sale in Canada is a one day thing and copies are selling out everywhere, so I had to buy kind of blindly too.

Damn, you weren't kidding about it selling out. 360 version was completely sold out and only 2 copies of the PS3 version (Now there is 1 copy :D)

Maddness

anyone know if the retail cd keys will work on steam? Found a really great deal on the PC version at a mom and pops and was curious.

Playing the 360 version on normal difficulty. I've finished the first two decepticon missions. I think it's ok. The two squadmates are some of the dumbest A.I. characters to appear in a game. They don't shoot anyone, they constantly get in your field of fire, and get stuck in the environment. Graphics look soft, it doesn't look like it's in HD and textures aren't that great either.

Foxix said:
OH awesome gamestop codes aren't in the case at all they just print it up on a receipt.

Guess who's got Jazz AND Shockwave?
Me! And I guess you as well. I'm gonna return my copy from EB Games after work.

I've seen people post that Walmart and Future Shop Canada both have the game for $39.99 but Best Buy also has the same deal plus Jazz in every box.

Just to be 100% sure before I buy two copies of this: does it have full campaign co-op? It isn't a separate mode like Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, etc, right?

FunkyPajamas said:
Just to be 100% sure before I buy two copies of this: does it have full campaign co-op? It isn't a separate mode like Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 2, etc, right?

I haven't tried it yet, but I took a peek at the co-op menu, and yes, it would appear the full campaign is 3-player co-op. There's a separate horde mode as well.

Takao

Banned
JohngPR said:
If you liked that game, you'd love this one. It's a lot better, and the difficulty is a bit more balanced.

Oh, I have WFC too. The combat is deeper than Armada, but I sure miss the colours.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Blackheim said:
Got the game to run, my Steam.exe was set to run as Admin somehow and I unchecked that. The game now loads up :D
Make sure to use fraps. I heard it's locked at 30fps, which would be a dealbreaker for me.

Liberty4all

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Damn, you weren't kidding about it selling out. 360 version was completely sold out and only 2 copies of the PS3 version (Now there is 1 copy :D)

It's the RFD effect. Alot of people are buying up as many copies as possible to power trade at EBGames/Gamestop. Gamestop isn't doing the 39.99 sale after they lost so much money on Batman.

Xater

Nelo Ice said:
this years arkham asylum! :D

Probably not quite as good but I think this will pobably end up being this years good licenced game. Looks like we get one every year now. :lol

Maximus.

Got this game for 40 bucks this morning in Canada. When I get home will probably play it all day :lol Finally a good transformers game according to the reviews!

edit: wtf no offline coop? :O

Xater

Fraull said:
Got this game for 40 bucks this morning in Canada. When I get home will probably play it all day :lol Finally a good transformers game according to the reviews!

edit: wtf no offline coop? :O

well that Atari Transformers game on the PS2 was also really good but I think nobody played that. :lol

PS3 version has a mandatory 5 gig install, yes, and it also keeps checking that install every time you start the game so that's another minute to the start-up time.

Apart from that, a solid game. The same old Unreal Engine problems with textures not appearing fully until after 30 seconds.

SiegfriedFM said:
PS3 version has a mandatory 5 gig install, yes, and it also keeps checking that install every time you start the game so that's another minute to the start-up time.

Apart from that, a solid game. The same old Unreal Engine problems with textures not appearing fully until after 30 seconds.
I would like to say that I haven't seen any severe texture pop in so far on the 360 version.

Beat the Decipticon campaign on hard with a buddy. I think the game is great! Not quite as good as Batman: AA, but while I enjoyed the mp I had low expectations for the campaign. It's very good, it won't make you stop playing Halo or COD but it does have more variety than most people will expect imo. The voice acting and fan service is stellar, lots of great lines and recongnizable voices. I don't think at the end of the year people will rave about it like Batman but I do think it surpasses the quality of gameplay and presentation the same way AA did.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
robut said:
Beat the Decipticon campaign on hard with a buddy. I think the game is great! Not quite as good as Batman: AA, but while I enjoyed the mp I had low expectations for the campaign. It's very good, it won't make you stop playing Halo or COD but it does have more variety than most people will expect imo. The voice acting and fan service is stellar, lots of great lines and recongnizable voices. I don't think at the end of the year people will rave about it like Batman but I do think it surpasses the quality of gameplay and presentation the same way AA did.

Do you both get achivementt/Trophys when you do coop?

JohngPR

Xater said:
I have seen it in the videos of the demo so....

It definitely exists. I've seen it more when playing mutliplayer, but I've only noticed the pop-in on your character. It's really not that big of a deal.

Top Bottom