• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transhumanism & Extropianism; or, become a robot with me, GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRANSHUMANISM & EXTROPIANISM:
a thread.
fcJMNtZ.png

Welcome, GAF.

For quite some time, I’ve largely been exploring the ideas around extropianism and transhumanism, and have discovered that the online community around these principles is relatively thin, if not non-existent in group presence. I’ve decided to start this thread with the intention of beginning a strong discussion around these ethics / ideals, and any futurist theories; whether biological or environmental.

Definitions:

Transhumanism;

Transhumanism, abbreviated as H+ or h+, is an international intellectual and cultural movement that affirms the possibility and desirability of fundamentally transforming the human condition by developing and making widely available technologies to eliminate aging and to greatly enhance human intellectual, physical, and psychological capacities. Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations, as well as study the ethical matters involved in developing and using such technologies. They predict that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with such greatly expanded abilities as to merit the label "posthuman".

Extropianism:

Extropianism, also referred to as the philosophy of Extropy, is an evolving framework of values and standards for continuously improving the human condition. Extropians believe that advances in science and technology will some day let people live indefinitely. An extropian may wish to contribute to this goal, e.g. by doing research and development or volunteering to test new technology.
Extropianism describes a pragmatic consilience of transhumanist thought guided by a proactionary approach to human evolution and progress.

--

The most recent example of these ideas that was the most interesting, for me, was Deus Ex: Human Revolution. A broad subject with many moral quandaries that the game tackles impressively and fairly accurately -- here amongst the number of other media that portray it (TH) in either positive or negative light:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Gattaca
Blade Runner
Matrix
Ghost In The Shell
Halo
Crysis
BioShock

to name a few.

zkJqQZ0.jpg

The ideas surrounding these movements can also sometimes connect with aspects of Abolitionism, which is;

“...the bioethical school and movement that endorses the use of biotechnology to maximize happiness and eliminate suffering. “Abolition” is used for the name of this movement, in the context of “the abolition of suffering". Abolitionists propose paradise engineering, i,e., the use of technologies like psychopharmaceuticals and genetic engineering to eliminate even the possibility of painful sensations and emotions.”

I myself have become accustomed to think this way -- many of my friends and former colleagues, and some family, have begun to share a more optimistic and positive approach to this kind of belief and thinking, that eventually, the technological advancements of society will inevitably be able to lead down this path to life extension. Even thinking about the progress made by tech companies within the past 10 years, or even 5, is astonishing depending on the direction you look (mobile devices, iPads, Google Glass, etc.).

I’ve heard many things surrounding life extension, anything from tiny nano-machines invading your bloodstream to fix any ailments or weaknesses in your physical body (i.e. Parasites Lost episode from Futurama), to pills that can reverse aging, to Deus-Ex-style augmentations that will enable a person to live only partially as their old squishy self, and take on a more transformative, Terminator-inspired form (sans weaponry).

Below are a few (of the very few) transhumanist-centered websites or newsletters, etc. that I found:

http://humanityplus.org
http://hplusmagazine.com
http://www.longecity.org/forum/
http://ieet.org (Institute for Ethics & Emerging Technologies)
http://intelligence.org (Machine Intelligence Research Institute; AI development)
http://www.centauri-dreams.org (space travel, past and future)
http://txchnologist.com (near term technologies)
http://www.technologyreview.com (near term technologies)
http://www.fightaging.org (anti-aging)
http://www.kurzweilai.net (singularity related news)
http://lesswrong.com (human rationality)

Another aspect of all of this is a new movement called "Quantified Self" - which is described as "...a movement to incorporate technology into data acquisition on aspects of a person's daily life in terms of inputs (e.g. food consumed, quality of surrounding air), states (e.g. mood, arousal, blood oxygen levels), and performance (mental and physical). Such self-monitoring and self-sensing, which combines wearable sensors (EEG, ECG, video, etc.) and wearable computing, is also known as lifelogging or sousveillance."

"This movement was kicked off by WIRED editors Kevin Kelly and Gary Wolf, and has since become popular in geeky/health-conscious enclaves around the US. As an example, one favorite area of discussion among QS is whether eating large amounts of butter enhances intelligence."
http://hplusmagazine.com/2013/03/20/progress-in-personalized-medicine-metamed-more/

The interesting point of this is that by focusing solely on the medical treatments we currently have, and maximizing our health in various aspects now (organic lifestyle, for example) - we will have a substitute humanist outlook and process, and hopefully, live long enough to just catch the very beginning stages of either age reversal and life extension beyond what is considered normal by today's standards. I'm hopeful that by the time I'm old and decrepit (or not); we have something established and working, in some form.

Now, in the same vein of Deus-Ex, let's pose some questions;

1. Do you believe this at all possible to any extent? If so, how far do you think we can go, and if not, why?
2. Would you be in favor of being able to alter humanity at the core of what makes us "human"?
3. How long do you think this will take for us to achieve?
4. What personal moral issues do you have (if any) with this movement?
5. If given the chance, would you alter your mind or body (abolitionist theme) to reduce pain? Or, simply augment?
6. If this became possible, how would it affect world religions?
7. Is this possible without severe class warfare, i.e., the rich advancing their state, the poor behind left behind?
8. Can you think of any solutions?

Technological Evolution
Top Ten Transhumanist Technologies

The aforementioned Google Glass is one exciting piece of technology that I believe truly brings us closer to this type of society, and will enable us to accomplish more and be more efficient in the long run as the technology progresses. I do believe that one day we could achieve something like immortality; unless greed and otherwise infantile political selfishness or religious metaphysics halts scientific progress like it has been doing for quite some time. I remain hopeful for my grandchildren, however.

I apologize if I bored anyone, but please, do share your thoughts, and any information, articles/books, or links you may have.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm willing to give up everything besides my brain and genitals when it comes to transhumanism, I want eyes that have different settings and options, I want a computer operated synthetic heart, I want to detect and feel electricity and where electric sources thrive.

To me all those types of things are the next and best step for humanity, disease and famine could be diminished greatly or not even exist, depression and mental illness can be altered and treated to the utmost efficiency. We'll be able to run or walk anywhere on this planet because of synthetic, computer operated lungs that can distribute oxygen throughout my body better than organic lungs could.

I would give up most of my current self to be something more progressive and fulfilling, I'm on board with any and all progress towards transhumanism.

I kinda am split on what I would personally like to be done to me in terms of augmentations.
On one hand, I do not wish to lose the bits of me that makes me... well, me. Maybe the person I am is a result of the bad health, bad eyesight, fleshy carapace that surrounds my fleshy brain and fleshy mind?

What happens if you take my mind, remove it from my fallible body, and plug it into a perfect android body or upload it online?

How much of it would resemble the person currently typing out this post?
Sure, the new posthuman would be happy and all, but it would possibly be a new person.

wwm0nkey

I'm willing to give up everything besides my brain and genitals when it comes to transhumanism, I want eyes that have different settings and options, I want a computer operated synthetic heart, I want to detect and feel electricity and where electric sources thrive.

To me all those types of things are the next and best step for humanity, disease and famine could be diminished greatly or not even exist, depression and mental illness can be altered and treated to the utmost efficiency. We'll be able to run or walk anywhere on this planet because of synthetic, computer operated lungs that can distribute oxygen throughout my body better than organic lungs could.

I would give up most of my current self to be something more progressive and fulfilling, I'm on board with any and all progress towards transhumanism.

Same, always thought the idea of backing up your brain was cool but you yourself will still die, there will just be another you walking around. As for genitals....That one is self explanatory lol

Amzin

I love this sort of stuff, I'm somewhat of an idealist and want to work with designing and implementing new technology (of all sorts, not just human augmentation). And as someone who's had diabetes since he was 8, and hates having to sleep, the progress forward in human manipulation is very hopeful to me.

That being said, I came in here to post:

Buzzsaw hands, BZZZZZZZZZZ! (to combat Tigerbot-Hesh, of course).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Consider the classic philosophical example of the Tin Man, who had all of his parts replaced one by one, heart, legs, torso.... including eventually his brain. Is it really the same tin man as before, when all of the parts are replaced?

... I am skeptical that any "backup" of your brain to digital will actually be you. That makes a LOT of assumptions about what life and consciousness are. It could be the case that you simply create an automaton that acts like you... but is not actually "conscious" in the same way, and is not actually "you". You will really die, but you leave behind a robot or digital consciousness that acts like you. Not really what you were going for.

What if consciousness actually is based fundamentally on the function of the universe, and the brain is not a computer that we can just hack as we want? (or at least, is not a computer that contains the entirety of what we are)

MormaPope

Banned
Consider the classic philosophical example of the Tin Man, who had all of his parts replaced one by one, heart, legs, torso.... including eventually his brain. Is it really the same tin man as before, when all of the parts are replaced?

... I am skeptical that any "backup" of your brain to digital will actually be you. That makes a LOT of assumptions about what life and consciousness are. It could be the case that you simply create an automaton that acts like you... but is not actually "conscious" in the same way, and is not actually "you". You will really die, but you leave behind a robot or digital consciousness that acts like you. Not really what you were going for.

What if consciousness actually is based fundamentally on the function of the universe, and the brain is not a computer that we can just hack as we want?

That's why I'm willing to give up almost everything else but my brain, I personally view the brain as the main container of a soul. If worst came to worst, I would be willing to have my brain put into a synthetic shell, or body rather.

Even then I still wouldn't be against digitizing my persona or being digitally, as long as I can keep my current consciousness.

What if consciousness actually is based fundamentally on the function of the universe, and the brain is not a computer that we can just hack as we want? (or at least, is not a computer that contains the entirety of what we are)

On the otherhand, what's there to lose if the alternative is death? :p

If consciousness is universe linked in a way that won't link it to your new robotic body, then surely it'll go the same way as any other consciousness stuck in a meaty brain that dies.

Win/Win!

But yeah, that's why I'd opt to keep my brain for as long as possible, relying on nano probes to patch together my decaying neurons one by one.

MormaPope

Banned

If consciousness is universe linked in a way that won't link it to your new robotic body, then surely it'll go the same way as any other consciousness stuck in a meaty brain that dies.

Win/Win!

It really sucks to be born right before that becomes a feasible and common practice.

BocoDragon

Win/Win!

But yeah, that's why I'd opt to keep my brain for as long as possible, relying on nano probes to patch together my decaying neurons one by one.

Nothing to lose for ourselves... that is true!... but if your loved ones are treating an automaton like it was "you" after you die, and you were never 'gone' to others, and you are never mourned... Well, some very interesting implications for society, right?

I remember in Fractale, the anime, the protagonist was taken care of by AI holograms who were "copies" of his dead parents... but at least it was recognized that they were not really his parents.... What if we didn't recognize this and thought that we had conquored death, when in reality we had not? The dying person's consious presence leaves, and only the person's behavior persists in an AI. Yet we all think we're immortal! Food for thought.

That's why I'm willing to give up almost everything else but my brain, I personally view the brain as the main container of a soul. If worst came to worst, I would be willing to have my brain put into a synthetic shell, or body rather.

Even then I still wouldn't be against digitizing my persona or being digitally, as long as I can keep my current consciousness.

Sounds like a smart bet to keep the brain until the last moment... because who knows how this all works? I know a little bit about neuroscience and I think most of our behaviour is physical, in the brain.... but consiousness? That original spark that is us? I really can't say for sure, and I think no one can right now.

Feep

Banned
With regard to the backing-up-brain thing, I wonder what it would be like to do a Theseus' ship with your own mind. Replace one neuron at a time with a robotic equivalent that effectively performed the same function, but would not grow old or die. Do it one by one until your entire mind is replaced, but you never lose consciousness throughout.

I'd be okay with this.

Nothing to lose for ourselves... that is true!... but if your loved ones are treating an automaton like it was "you" after you die, and you were never 'gone' to others, and you are never mourned... Well, some very interesting implications for society, right?

I remember in Fractale, the anime, the protagonist was taken care of by AI holograms who were "copies" of his dead parents... but at least it was recognized that they were not really his parents.... What if we didn't recognize this and thought that we had conquored death, when in reality we had not? The dying person's consious presence leaves, and only the person's behavior persists in an AI. Yet we all think we're immortal! Food for thought.

It does pose some interesting philosophical questions, but to the majority of people these will never be anything more than that.
If the digital upload of you act just like the person you were in flesh, whether it is because you're a sophisticated piece of predictive code or a genuine transposition of your mind onto a new medium, then people will not only treat you as you - they will believe that you are you.

Because the alternative, you being dead, is too unpleasant to accept.

BocoDragon

With regard to the backing-up-brain thing, I wonder what it would be like to do a Theseus' ship with your own mind. Replace one neuron at a time with a robotic equivalent that effectively performed the same function, but would not grow old or die. Do it one by one until your entire mind is replaced, but you never lose consciousness throughout.

I'd be okay with this.

Thesius' ship is the other great analogy.... I dunno, I really think the brain is the different piece in this scenario. You can replace every part of the ship, but if you replace the captain? ;)

BocoDragon

It does pose some interesting philosophical questions, but to the majority of people these will never be anything more than that.
If the digital upload of you act just like the person you were in flesh, whether it is because you're a sophisticated piece of predictive code or a genuine transposition of your mind onto a new medium, then people will not only treat you as you - they will believe that you are you.

Because the alternative, you being dead, is too unpleasant to accept.

That possibility is disturbing, in a way.... It's like the futuristic descendant of the embalmed corpse at a funeral. It looks like you to your loved ones, it acts like you, now..... but is it you?

That possibility is disturbing, in a way.... It's like the futuristic descendant of the embalmed corpse at a funeral. It looks like you to your loved ones, it acts like you, now..... but is it you?

Fortunately, it's a win/win situation for us.
Either we are actually the digital version, and can enjoy our prolonged existence, or we are no longer there to worry about a soulless automaton having sex with the wife.

BocoDragon

Fortunately, it's a win/win situation for us.
Either we are actually the digital version, and can enjoy our prolonged existence, or we are no longer there to worry about a soulless automaton having sex with the wife.

I'd call that a Win/Win? situation ;) But I see your point. No we won't be here to see the fallout :p

Madao

the thing i've dreamed for a while is reaching the point where the consciousness and memories can be trasferred from the living brain to an artificial brain to be able to exist forever without the limits of organic bodies. (can't call that "live" since there'd be no more living tissue)

i'll settle for a medicine that keeps the brain healthy for centuries and replaceable body parts if the mind transfer thing never happens.

pcgamer-deusex_humanrer9dw.gif

I loved the more physiological view in Human Revolution compared to future nanomachines and as a med student, loved reading those near plausible journals about neurological connections.

Very inspiring game, really. Not just for the augmentation graft stuff but also effect on society with the classism and exploitation that would result.

Raonak

Banned
I was thinking how one of the first body augmentationi want to get is to have small speakers built in into my ears, that can connect via bluetooth (or some future wireless tech)

pcgamer-deusex_humanrer9dw.gif

I loved the more physiological view in Human Revolution compared to future nanomachines and as a med student, loved reading those near plausible journals about neurological connections.

Very inspiring game, really. Not just for the augmentation graft stuff but also effect on society with the classism and exploitation that would result.

Of course, physical augments are a pipe dream. If your one arm is super strong, you're going to have to reinforce everything connecting to it - and then everything connecting to the connecting bits.

It's either a full-body strength augment, or just augments of the hacking/dexterity variety.

squidyj

I don't want to be a robot, but I don't want to be human either.

I think mostly what I want is to live forever. In a healthy state.

BocoDragon

I was thinking how one of the first body augmentationi want to get is to have small speakers built in into my ears, that can connect via bluetooth (or some future wireless tech)

That sounds like a very feasible first implementation of body augmentation.... connect us to the internet, games, music, twitter, etc, but eliminate the physical interface.

So, transhumanism/extropianism is obviously about avoiding death.
Does anyone know of any articles on how long this avoidance of death can be prolonged, what with the end of the universe and all?

Is it basically a situation of "Well, if we haven't solved that by then, we'll probably have come to accept or even long for death"?

In terms of reversing aging, I don't want to simplify but it's all about telomeres. More research on telomerases without incurring cancer. It's why turtles can live for hundreds of years, but they're pretty sedentary creatures.

So the big step would be to solving how you can be a typical energy-consuming human while also lowering the aging rate.

Yeah, the bio bit of it all is probably a tad more feasible when it comes to attaining a longer (possibly immortal) life. We know of longer living organisms (and immortal ones), and could possible reverse-engineer a solution there.

With nanobots, we're on mostly uncharted territories.

Of course, physical augments are a pipe dream. If your one arm is super strong, you're going to have to reinforce everything connecting to it - and then everything connecting to the connecting bits.

I think that's a bit of a premature conclusion. I see no reason to believe that you couldn't install an arm granting olympic-level strength that attaches to the socket. If you're talking about superman level strength then the rest of the body can't take it, but there are happy mediums.

my heart is weak and my entire body suffers from it. Get me augmentation anytime. heart first. leg/arms next. Eyes (hud) and brain (memory) then.

I think that's a bit of a premature conclusion. I see no reason to believe that you couldn't install an arm granting olympic-level strength that attaches to the socket. If you're talking about superman level strength then the rest of the body can't take it, but there are happy mediums.

That I did not think of actually.
Good point!

Dmax3901

Nice thread.

We briefly touched on this topic in one of my Philosophy subjects at uni a year or two ago and I like to write (ficiton) about this sort of stuff. Really captures the imagination and, when you look at things like Google Glass and Oculus Rift, this tech isn't far away.

Zaptruder

Banned
In terms of reversing aging, I don't want to simplify but it's all about telomeres. More research on telomerases without incurring cancer. It's why turtles can live for hundreds of years, but they're pretty sedentary creatures.

So the big step would be to solving how you can be a typical energy-consuming human while also lowering the aging rate.

Hypothetical solution:

Store prime copies of genetic material in some sort of gene bank (this could even be a structure within the body).

Use prime copies to refresh body's genetic material from time to time.

So this idea relies on the ability to essentially insert and propogate a some what foreign body throughout the body, replacing existing/aging genetic material with the prime copies.

In my ignorance as a layperson, it doesn't seem like an entirely intractable problem, especially given accelerated technological advancements that we can expect from our future.

Eusis

I think with augmentation I'd only really want to use matured nanotechnology that reinforces my body and keeps it healthy, and tunes up my brain without REPLACING it. That's kind of the big question there, but something there to help optimize it? In a sense it may not be all that different from food, and if it can backup my genetic code and properly recreate cells then, at worst, I'm being slowly replaced by a clone of myself... which is sort of what we inevitably go through anyway. I imagine I couldn't get to the same heights as full on replacement of my body parts, but I don't think I'd really want that and as noted there can be issues where everything has to be reinforced anyway.

Oh, as for the idea of abolitionist: at MOST I'd want it to work in subtle ways, or only a hard shut off of bad emotions if they are detrimental to what I'm currently doing. I feel pain and suffering is an essential part of being human for better or worse, and to completely shut that off seems like becoming a type of zombie. Better to mitigate the bad health effects (being down seems to leave you more vulnerable on a whole), though in regards to just plain old physical pain... well, first I'd hope nanomachines would repair that damage, but if it's something they CAN'T, well, numb it if necessary, or make my brain see it as more "minor" after a few moments. That way if I get a broken bone or something I'm not a complete wreck and could get myself care.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Transhumanism? Extropianism? Seems a little bit like science fiction to me.

Atrophis

For more fiction exploring these ideas I strongly recommend the work of British science fiction author Alastair Reynolds.

Start with his first novel Revelation Space or his short story Diamond Dogs.

paile

Banned
I have been extremely interested in these themes for quite some time. Of the fiction I've seen I think Deus Ex covers these themes the best.

I consider the human body to be nothing more than a prison of flesh. Why wouldn't one want to be free of that? To become whatever they want?

This week's Bombcast talks a bit about this subject at the beginning.

They speculated about elective surgery where people would choose to replace a functional body part with a robotic one. Athletes with robotic parts would be put into separate sports leagues from normal human athletes, but popularity in the latter sports would decline as people would find the robotic sport leagues more exciting. An arms race would then start as athletes would strive for the latest tech in order to stay competitive and win (much like steroid users today) and eventually everyone would end up with robotic limbs/organs. Man, I found that really fascinating and a little scary.

I've always had an interest in transhumanism and body mods like robot arms and brain chips and stuff. I think it's an interesting topic.

-subscribes-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom