• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Translucent Concrete

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyC

2001974179.jpg

The translucent blocks are made by mixing glass fibers into the combination of crushed stone, cement and water, varying a process that has been used for centuries to produce a versatile building material. The new process was devised by Hungarian architect Aron Losonczi in 2001.
"Think of illuminating subway stations with daylight," he suggested in an e-mail. Or using the concrete for speed bumps and lighting them from below to make them more visible at night.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2001974395_concrete08.html

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That is really cool. i love stuff like this.

I actually wonder if it is cheaper or strongerr than just glass.

BuddyC

scola said:
That is really cool. i love stuff like this.

I actually wonder if it is cheaper or strongerr than just glass.
Translucent concrete is strong enough for the uses for traditional concrete, and chemical additives can greatly increase the strength. Moeller pointed out, however, that until demand increases, experimentation continues and production costs fall, the price of any new product will be significantly higher than similar older products.

FightyF

Banned
"Think of illuminating subway stations with daylight," he suggested in an e-mail.

And turn the Subway into an oven. :p

Looks cool, it would be cool to see roads made with that...with screens underneath that paint the lines (and the road in a sense), and can be changed on the fly to adapt to traffic.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Buddy. Yeah that is what I expected, but thick glass is amazingly strong too, I would like to see more specific break downs, but that is something I am not going to get right now ;)

Fight for Freeform said:
And turn the Subway into an oven. :p

Looks cool, it would be cool to see roads made with that...with screens underneath that paint the lines (and the road in a sense), and can be changed on the fly to adapt to traffic.

would be obviously difficult to impliment, but that is a great idea and the right kind of thinking that should occur around new (and even old) materials to really push them into new directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom