• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective S1 is a masterpiece still.

So yeah, stuck at the inlaws but my loins crave to continue Alan Wake 2. Decided to rewatch season 1 of TD for the vibe and by god I have forgotten almost everything about it except them memes. Just the pitch perfect casting and script.

True Detective Time GIF

Also them tatas dear lord even my wife was ogling.

alexandra daddario GIF

Gonna skip s2 and watch s3 for the first time since I heard Mahershala Ali gave one hell of a performance.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I watched it again recently, drops off a bit near the end but it's damn fine TV. Season 3 was good, but doesn't come close.

I also sat and watched season 2 for the first time and it's as much of a disappointment as everyone said it was at the time.

pachura

Yup, it was phenomenal. The ending was a bit dull (although nicely nostalgic) and the explanation for monster's green ears was stupid (they should have gone with protective earmuffs), but it was the last TV series I was so intensely invested in - comparing theories on Reddit and so on. The following seasons were a disappointment (Mahershala Ali is a fabolous actor, but it wasn't enough).

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Stephen Dorff is legit cool as fuck in season 3.

He was the best part for me. It was cool to see Michael Rooker as well. I thought the rest of it was terrible though, especially the twist/wrap up.

I actually liked some of S2 because it was just so fucking weird. Also the killer is the kid from The Wizard.

kZCzTO1.jpg

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Will test that theory with Mindhunter (never watched it).
I might too. Hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it, and after watching the trailer, it looks right up my alley. I'm always on the lookout for law/legal-based dramas. The only other things I've enjoyed in recent times is the Goliath series and Dopesick. Both of those were really good. There are a handful of others, but those two in particular come to mind. I go back to Goliath all the time.

I might too. Hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it, and after watching the trailer, it looks right up my alley. I'm always on the lookout for law/legal-based dramas. The only other things I've enjoyed in recent times is the Goliath series and Dopesick. Both of those were really good. There are a handful of others, but those two in particular come to mind. I go back to Goliath all the time.
Goliath got batshit in season 2. Season 3 was alright about a water dispute of all things. Still need to finish the series.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If that serial doesn't turn your gay son into a straight dude, it's time to accept the lack of future nephews.

Dr.Morris79

Loved it, that theme alone 👌

Season 2 had some great bits and season 3 was pretty damn good till that last episode, I was gutted, almost shouted at the screen! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Season one is definitely up there with the greatest shows of all time imo. Woody Harrelson and Mathew Mcconaughey have amazing chemistry and suit their roles sublimely!

The writing and level of detail alone in season one is what other shows should aspire to be. If HBO ever released a 4k boxset of season one I'd buy it In a heartbeat. I couldn't care less about the second and third season, although the third season was bearable.

Vr6e0dh.gif

Top Bottom