• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Admin threatens to withhold assistance for fighting crime in multiple cities.

KSweeley

The Trump Administration has threatened Baltimore, Maryland, Albuquerque, N.M., Bernardino and Stockton, Calif. that they will withhold assistance for fighting crime if the cities will not cooperate with Trump's immigration enforcement efforts: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-psp-delegation-reactions-20170804-story.html

Six members of Baltimore’s delegation to Congress on Friday questioned the Justice Department’s decision to withhold federal crime fighting assistance unless the city cooperates with the Trump administration’s immigration enforcement efforts.

Calling the Justice Department’s announcement “unconscionable,” the six lawmakers — all Democrats — noted that the State of Maryland sets immigration policy at Baltimore’s jail, not City Hall. The lawmakers also argued that immigration enforcement is a federal issue, not a local matter.

“We find it unconscionable that the Justice Department would threaten Baltimore and other cities, and not expeditiously bring to bear all of the federal government’s resources to reduce violent crime,” the lawmakers wrote.

The letter was signed by Sens. Ben Cardin and Chris Van Hollen and Reps. Elijah E. Cummings, John Sarbanes and C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger.

At issue is whether the state will honor voluntary requests from the federal government to hold immigrants in jail beyond their scheduled release date so that federal agents can pick those people up for deportation, if they choose.

The Maryland Attorney General has advised jurisdictions in the state not to honor those requests without a warrant

In its letter Thursday, the Justice Department demanded that Democratic Mayor Catherine Pugh’s administration explain its position on the detainer requests. But it is actually Republican Gov. Larry Hogan’s administration that sets the policy for the Baltimore city jail.

Aside from the immigration issue, the Justice Department told Baltimore it would otherwise be a candidate for its new Public Safety Partnership program, because the city has a level of violence that exceeds the national average.

It’s not clear if Baltimore has asked to join the new partnership program, or what benefits that program would provide the city. The Justice Department has not fully explained how Public Safety Partnership is different from the federal-local cooperation that has been taking place in Baltimore for years.

A Justice Department spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.

The original Justice Department letter was sent to officials in Baltimore, Albuquerque, N.M., and San Bernardino and Stockton, Calif.

Crayons

Banned
pinkman.gif

KSweeley

It makes absolutely no sense for the Trump administration to threaten Baltimore but also tell Baltimore that the city would be eligible for a new Trump DOJ program.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yes he can.

He can withhold like 5% of federal funds, unless there's some reason to believe the Executive Branch has some authority over local crime.

They sure love being sued. Every time they push this retaliatory bs they are going to get sued and will back off. This is mostly Sessions showing Trump he's still a useful racist prick trying to hang on to his job.

geomon

He can withhold like 5% of federal funds, unless there's some reason to believe the Executive Branch has some authority over local crime.

Money that has been allocated to the state by the federal budget can't be withheld without approval by Congress. However, he can withhold as much manpower, equipment, and any other assistance the Justice Department provides to the state as he wants. Unless Jeff Sessions says no to Donald Trump and gives them the assistance anyway.

KSweeley

Money that has been allocated to the state by the federal budget can't be withheld without approval by Congress. However, he can withhold as much manpower, equipment, and any other assistance the Justice Department provides to the state as he wants. Unless Jeff Sessions says no to Donald Trump and gives them the assistance anyway.

But I don't believe we even have a federal budget yet, Trump's proposed budget to the best of my knowledge hasn't even passed Congress.

geomon

But I don't believe we even have a federal budget yet, Trump's proposed budget to the best of my knowledge hasn't even passed Congress.

Well if they shut the government down then no state will get federal dollars. Won't that be fun.

KSweeley

Well if they shut the government down then no state will get federal dollars. Won't that be fun.

I'm quite sure that Trump would be petty enough to force a full government shutdown if his budget does not get passed by Congress, he wouldn't give a fuck who would be hurt by a government shutdown.

geomon

I'm quite sure that Trump would be petty enough to force a full government shutdown if his budget does not get passed by Congress, he wouldn't give a fuck who would be hurt by a government shutdown.

I absolutely agree. He's a petulant little shit bag who will throw anyone and everyone under the bus, while ranting on twitter that it's all the Democrats fault.

This must be Trump's business operating M.O.: threats.

That's what he likes people to believe but go and read the transcripts from his phone calls with the Mexican and Australian leaders and you realize he's all bark. The man can't even tell Sessions to his face that he wants him gone resorting to twitter while Sessions is in the White House lol

Opto

Banned
Are we sure Trump firing Sessions is so bad?
I mean, we wouldn't get a better AG if it happened, and it'd likely mean Trump would then be able to drill down through the Justice Department until he found someone willing to fire Mueller

I mean, we wouldn't get a better AG if it happened, and it'd likely mean Trump would then be able to drill down through the Justice Department until he found someone willing to fire Mueller

Wouldn't we get Rosenstein since Trump has be threatened that if he fires Sessions there would be no new appointment of a replacement? I think that's why he's backed off.

cameron

Literally endangering citizens in order to push their xenophobic agenda.

Wow.

Sounds about wight.

This is the same admin that offered the ‘Border Wall for Health Care’ deal back in April (fund ACA subsidies in exchange for border wall monies).

That's what he likes people to believe but go and read the transcripts from his phone calls with the Mexican and Australian leaders and you realize he's all bark. The man can't even tell Sessions to his face that he wants him gone resorting to twitter while Sessions is in the White House lol

Yeah, basically Trump's all, "But GUYS!!! You gotta do it my way cause I already PROMISED to a buncha people that you WOULD! I'm gonna seem like a flake if you don't. GUYS?!!!"

It's like every episode of a sitcom where the kid promises something to impress their friends, but has no way to go through with it, so they are begging their parents for it. "DAD, MOM, I promised that I'd have _insert popular pop star_ at my birthday party! I told everybody at school and wrote it down on all the invites! I want to show up _insert rival_ and if I don't get _popular rock star again_, I'll just DIE!!!"

Shauni

It worked in business, so Trump thinks it will work here.

It didn't work in business though, because most of his businesses have failed lol. It works in intimidating smaller businesses to not sue when he didn't pay them, but that's not even good business since it burns contacts.

I knew I'd see my city on that list. I'm in Albuquerque, Nm.

We hate Trump. I can't see how anyone can like him in general. What an obvious con man.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I absolutely agree. He's a petulant little shit bag who will throw anyone and everyone under the bus, while ranting on twitter that it's all the Democrats fault.

I see it now, the tweets will include keywords like:

"God"
"obsruct"
"Obama"
"Fake news"

Man, I was afraid we'd go a whole day without something blatantly terrible or stupid happening with this administration. Glad they're keeping that streak going.

This is legit terrible though.

Classic passive aggressive bitch behavior.

Top Bottom