• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tuning My Car And Warranty.

Dinokill

This past weekend I drove a guys car with an aftermarket tune(MPT). His car is the same as mine; s550 6 speed Mustang V6 and the difference was night and day. His car felt more responsive and lighter, I could spin the tires at third gear etc.

Don't get me wrong, my car is fun to drive as she is but after driving that guy's car I'm thinking of tuning my car.

My car is fairly new with 5k miles and I want to know if any of you guys have a tuned car and what are you experience with warranty and dealers in general. MPT is a well known and highly respected company and I doubt their tunes are going to blow my engine but let's say I have to bring my car to the dealer for an unrelated problem. I will be on the hook?

Note: his car had no bolt ons.

Note2: Don't waste your time about how I'm a sucker for getting a v6 instead of a v8. V8 was 9k more expensive and didn't have the funds for it. I love my v6 and that's that.

I believe each manufacturer has different thoughts on this. It also comes down to the service manager. My dad is the service manager at a Ford dealership, and an old hot rod guy. He would look past it. Best advice would be to look at some Ford Mustang forums for other users experience.

Pouring money into the v6? Ewww, I can't see it being worth it if you didn't feel like getting the V8 that's significantly better.

I've seen mixed results with dealers caring. My old dealer would, other dealers weren't sticklers and knew small mods weren't going to make the car explode.

Dishwalla

Banned
You really should be on one of the various Mustang forums man, there are tons of topics about tuner chips on them. I know this because I have looked into getting one for my Mustang, though I haven't bitten the bullet yet.

Even if the dealership knows you've modified the engine, that doesn't mean they can deny warranty work on an unrelated component of the vehicle. There is no such thing as a voiding of an entire vehicle warranty for modifying part of the vehicle away from OEM.

Read into the Magnuson-Moss act.

I have always been told that as long as the part you added didn't contribute to the fault of the item you are trying to get repaired under warranty you should be fine.

Even if the dealership knows you've modified the engine, that doesn't mean they can deny warranty work on an enraged component of the vehicle. There is no such thing as a voiding of an entire vehicle warranty for modifying part of the vehicle away from OEM.

Read into the Magnuson-Moss act.

I have always been told that as long as the part you added didn't contribute to the fault of the item you are trying to get repaired under warranty you should be fine.
These two nail it. Now just because it's the law doesn't mean that you won't get hell if something serious happens and they try to tie it to the tune. It just means if you went to court and were in the right they would be hosed. There are stories out there of dealers still denying unrelated claims due to tunes or other mods.

Ask on a mustang how Ford generally responds and go from there.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Doesn't Ford have some specific upgrades that they provide at dealerships? Or was that only on the EcoBoost?

Not being condesending but you should probably look up a mustang forum. When I have specific questions about my car I usually can find it on a forum that focused on my model. You will find people who have dealt with almost any question/problem you run into.

I love my v6

Don't get me wrong, my car is fun to drive as she is but after driving that guy's car I'm thinking of tuning my car.

giphy.gif

Knew this would be a Dinokill thread.

Like a lighthouse in the fog.

v1lla21

You really should be on one of the various Mustang forums man, there are tons of topics about tuner chips on them. I know this because I have looked into getting one for my Mustang, though I haven't bitten the bullet yet.
^^ Bingo.

It's also gonna really depend on the dealers themselves. I had my car modified a few years ago and the forums were big help in finding the best mod friendly dealers. Having your car modified doesn't necessarily void your warranty as a whole but dealers get bitchy about it.

KHarvey16

Unfortunately while it's true that you can't be denied warranty coverage for unrelated parts, an engine tune is related to pretty much every expensive part on the car.

Top Bottom