• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TXB OutRun2 review .....8.4

xexex

Banned
http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/828/OutRun2/p1

Audio

You will have to be a big fan of classic arcade game soundtracks and/or a fan of JDM console game soundtracks to appreciate the audio portion of OutRun 2. I constantly found myself flipping through the “stations”, thinking that new, tolerable tracks would somehow appear, by magic or stray Sirius signal. I was wrong (and delusional), and accepted the bad remakes of the original Outrun tracks, but was a bit mad that there were no custom soundtrack options in the audio menu. The rest of the audio is decent, and gamers should get a kick out of the arcade-specific sound effects. It was also surprising a joy to see that Sega chose to use Dolby Digital programming in OutRun 2, which is another reason that the console version is better than the arcade version.

The Bottom Line

The Xbox version of OutRun 2 can’t mimic the surrounding bleeps and blips of the arcade, nor can it produce the same sensation of playing the original OutRun for the first time. Unfortunately for us, we don’t even have a decent steering wheel available to play OutRun 2 as it was meant to be played in the arcades. Even with all of these matters against it, AM2’s work shines through and allows console gamers to enjoy what is on the brink of extinction - the arcade racer. The Xbox needs more developers who are willing to put the time and effort into recent coin-op titles and console titles optimized for other platforms, and make them special. The tweaks to OutRun 2 - the Challenge Mode, online, and LAN play options prove that Sega is looking out for Xbox’ers best interests. Straight console junkies may find it a bit vapid, but the rest of the world’s gamers- those of us who have gamed in arcades before, will most likely find OutRun 2 invigorating.

OutRun fans are obligated to read the whole thing it's 3 pages!

Iceman

I love this game, btw.

Totally has the feeling of a good old fashioned SEGA arcade racer. Good old fashioned cheery, cheeze muzak.. crazy high speeds.. tons of pressure to do everything perfect... And it doesn't disappoint the eyes neither.

Gives me hope for the next Sega Rally.

BTW, my favorite cars in the game so far:

236622_1_full.jpg

(1) 250 GTO

328.jpg

(2) 328 GTS (aka Magnum PI's car)

360modena.jpg

(3) 360 Modena Spyder

Top Bottom