• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U.S. states could not set self-driving car rules under Republican plan

California and other states would be barred from setting their own rules governing design and testing of self-driving cars, while federal regulators would be blocked from demanding pre-market approval for autonomous vehicle technology, according to a U.S. House Republican proposal reviewed by Reuters on Thursday.
The draft legislation, while far from becoming law, still represents a victory for General Motors Co, Alphabet Inc , Tesla Inc and other automakers and technology companies who are seeking to persuade Congress and the Trump Administration to pre-empt rules under consideration in California, New York and other states that could limit deployment of self-driving vehicles.
http://www.reuters.com/article/usa-selfdriving-idUSL1N1JC1ZD

Considering cars go across state lines, it makes sense for at least the general structure of rules regarding them to be a federal matter.

Eh this seems like I'm not seeing the whole picture because it seems like a decision that might advance science and technology but at the same time it's this administration

robochimp

The down side is this means the auto insurance industry is going to be more effective at lobbying for what they want.

In the past Alphabet has talked about being the liable party for their automated cars. The insurance industry still wants individual liability.

The down side is this means the auto insurance industry is going to be more effective at lobbying for what they want.

In the past Alphabet has talked about being the liable party for their automated cars. The insurance industry still wants individual liability.
This is the only thing. Which means that it'll continue to be near impossible to get tesla on texas

Is this part of Republican's 4D chess to spur the proliferation of unsafe autonomous vehicles in cities so as to kill off liberal voters?

In seriousness, it seems like a good idea that the federal government should enforce nationwide standards for the sake of consumer safety, but then the legislation also seems to want to block federal regulators from meddling with vehicular standards before they hit the market.

So is it just more "free market" fetishism?

SkyOdin

Considering cars go across state lines, it makes sense for at least the general structure of rules regarding them to be a federal matter.
Driving laws are usually handled on a complete state by state basis though. I don't think there are any federal driving laws. Everything from speed limits to the issuing of licenses is handled by state law. Why would autonomous vehicles require a different approach?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Eh this seems like I'm not seeing the whole picture because it seems like a decision that might advance science and technology but at the same time it's this administration

The number one pressure against this initially, will be local car dealership networks. Financially they are one of the strongest lobbying forces in the nation and they absolutely warp local politics with stupid shit. For example, you cannot buy a Tesla in New Jersey. Why? Because car dealerships made it ILLEGAL for car manufacturers to sell directly to consumers. So NJ Tesla owners usually buy from NY and adjacent states.

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=T2300
https://theintercept.com/2015/11/23/car-dealers-have-their-way-with-congress/
http://supreme.findlaw.com/legal-co...try-why-did-congress-protect-car-dealers.html

Right now car dealerships MOSTLY sell cars with no self driving ability, so this will change as the market changes, but they will slow it artificially to protect their product.

They also lobby against environmental protection, car tab taxes and predominantly support Republican candidates. Which brings up another thing in American politics.

When the thing you support is anti consumer, or anti environment or anti people, you need politicians who are easy to bribe. That's invariably the republicans. Cheapest bribes and most bang for the evil buck. Don't get me wrong, Dems do this stuff to a certain extent, but you can't argue with the dollars. The more evil a law is, the more likely a Republican was bribed to pass it.

gwarm01

Hopefully they don't mess this up. The idea of autonomous cars being regulated differently from state to state would have made road trips problematic.

Ogodei

One thing where i feel like the GOP might have it right, as long as the federal rules at least merit certain safety standards (like an accident:miles ratio that's at least 10x less than what's acceptable for humans).

The fear is that people whose jobs would be jeopardized by autonomous vehicles would set ridiculous standards or ban them outright, and self-driving cars are going to do so much good long-term (despite the annihilation of trucking and livery jobs).

Gallbaro

Banned
Hopefully they don't mess this up. The idea of autonomous cars being regulated differently from state to state would have made road trips problematic.
The states are actually pretty good at this sort of thing. The adopt the same set of laws written by special interested groups and that it's good most legislating appears to be uniform across the country.

Uniform Commercial Codes
National electric Codes

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Mixed feelings about this. I think states should probably have some say in the testing of self-driving cars on their roads. That seems appropriate even if feds regulate other issues and take over regulating self-driving cars that are out of testing phases.

Another would declare crash data, other testing and validation reports from automated cars turned over to U.S. regulators to be "confidential business information."
Not sure what to think about this.

tokkun

In case you are feeling a knee-jerk reaction to oppose any legislation authored by House Republicans, it sounds like the effort in the Senate will be bipartisan.

On Tuesday, a bipartisan trio of U.S. senators said they planned to introduce legislation to remove regulatory roadblocks to the introduction of self-driving cars, including sorting out conflicts between state and federal rules.

Energy and Commerce Committee Republican members and staff have vowed to work with Democrats and industry and safety officials to try to reach a bipartisan consensus.

The states are actually pretty good at this sort of thing. The adopt the same set of laws written by special interested groups and that it's good most legislating appears to be uniform across the country.

So "The states are actually pretty good at this sort of thing" because they approximate the effects of federal legislation?
If coming close to federal legislation is "pretty good," why not just have federal legislation to begin with?

This is a good thing. I have no idea why anyone would object to federal regulations considering autopilot will probably be used mainly on interstates. Who wants 50 different laws?

The number one pressure against this initially, will be local car dealership networks. Financially they are one of the strongest lobbying forces in the nation and they absolutely warp local politics with stupid shit. For example, you cannot buy a Tessa in New Jersey. Why? Because car dealerships made it ILLEGAL for car manufacturers to sell directly to consumers. So NJ Tessa owners usually buy from NY and adjacent states.

Just FYI, it's TESLA not Tessa. I have no idea why I see so many people call the company Tessa. Bizarre.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is a good thing. I have no idea why anyone would object to federal regulations considering autopilot will probably be used mainly on interstates. Who wants 50 different laws?

Just FYI, it's TESLA not Tessa. I have no idea why I see so many people call the company Tessa. Bizarre.

iOS autocomplete is easily the worst there is.

Top Bottom