• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK charts w/e 9th October (FIFA, Fable, Poke sell. Pikmin 2 & Outrun 2 bomb bomb)

cja

TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES) WEEK 41 YEAR 2004

ENDING 9TH OCTOBER

LW TW TITLE PUBLISHER

1 FIFA 2005 EA SPORTS
2 FABLE MICROSOFT
5 3 POKEMON FIRE RED NINTENDO
2 4 THE SIMS 2 EA GAMES
4 5 BURNOUT 3: TAKEDOWN EA GAMES
6 6 ROME: TOTAL WAR ACTIVISION
7 TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND 2 ACTIVISION
1 8 STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT LUCASARTS
7 9 POKEMON LEAF GREEN NINTENDO
9 10 DEF JAM FIGHT FOR NY EA GAMES
11 11 THE SIMPSONS: HIT & RUN PLATINUM
15 12 NEED FOR SPEED: UNDERGROUND PLATINUM
28 13 ROCKY LEGENDS UBISOFT
10 14 COLIN MCRAE RALLY 2005 CODEMASTERS
3 15 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 2005 EA SPORTS
13 16 CONFLICT: VIETNAM SCI
8 17 WARHAMMER 40,000: DAWN OF WAR THQ
14 18 RESIDENT EVIL: OUTBREAK CAPCOM
16 19 FIFA 2004 EA SPORTS
23 20 FINDING NEMO DISNEY INTERACTIVE
17 21 THE SIMS: BUSTIN' OUT PLATINUM
22 SHARK TALE ACTIVISION
20 23 SPIDER-MAN 2 ACTIVISION
27 24 MEDAL OF HONOR: RISING SUN EA GAMES
25 CRASH TWINSANITY SIERRA
38 26 SONIC HEROES SEGA
12 27 CALL OF DUTY: UNITED OFFENSIVE ACTIVISION
24 28 DRIV3R ATARI
29 THIS IS FOOTBALL 2005 SONY COMPUTER ENT.
22 30 SOULCALIBUR II NAMCO
25 31 PSI-OPS: THE MINDGATE CONSPIRACY MIDWAY
32 PIKMIN 2 NINTENDO
29 33 THE SIMS PLATINUM
32 34 TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 2004 EA SPORTS
19 35 TERMINATOR 3: THE REDEMPTION ATARI
30 36 SHREK 2 ACTIVISION
33 37 STAR OCEAN: TILL THE END OF TIME SQUARE ENIX
35 38 GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY PLATINUM
26 39 SHELLSHOCK: NAM '67 EIDOS
21 40 OUTRUN 2 SEGA

http://www.charttrack.co.uk/html/uk/Software charts/Ent Software (All Prices).htm

Individual format and budget charts

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Outrun 2 isn't much of a surprise, but Pikmin 2? What happened?

*tries to find other GC titles on the list*

Nevermind. :|

Deg

Banned
:eek: at SImpsons Hit and Run. I feel tempted :p NFSU 2 is oging to do very good.

Shame about Pikmin 2. Had no hype and little to no advertising.

Deepthroat said:
No Viewtiful Joe PS2 either :/

Yeah it bombed. I hope it sells abit in the long run.

I'm just not feeling the VJ love like when I first tried the GC version a year or so ago. I'm just finding it tedious.

Speaking of Nintendo, why are they marketing Donkey Konga over Pikmin2? Not that they shouldn't be marketing DK just they should be doing the same for Pikmin2 (although it does have a nice mag ad). probably hoping it'll hit on the EyeToy peripheral based bandwagon.

I don't get Nintendo Europe. They don't seem to have too much problem pushing the GBA but when it comes to the GC it's treated like a red-headed stepchild. It's not going to help that MS are really pushing the Crystal Xbox either.

Speaking of MS, damn I'm at that point where I just want Fable to be over. I wanted to do all the side-quests and stuff but I don't know if I can force myself to. If it goes on much longer without picking up any I probably won't bother with a second playthrough.

Elios83

I'm actually surprised that Star Ocean3 is in the chart for the second week.
Viewtiful Joe on the PS2 bombed so hard everywhere that in comparison the Cube verion (whose low sales convinced Capcom to port it) is a top seller :D :D

Solid

iapetus said:
No surprise VJ is bombing on PS2. Hidden away on the bottom shelves everywhere I looked.
Same here. Some stores didn't even take the game in! Talk about shame! :|

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
awesome stuff for fable, Xbox game beating a game like THUG2 in the UK is an achievement. As Cockles said, nothing would have beaten multiformat fifa sales.

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
Went in today and bought Fable and pikmin 2, their was loads of copys of pikmin 2 in every games shop but fable was very hard to find, managed to get the last copy in GAME.

Hmm so far pikmin 2 is like digital crack it's consuming all my time, and i don't know why, it's just so much fun. Every time i see the intro screen and hear the music on pikmin 2 it brings a great big smile onto my face.

Fable is pretty good to tho i need to spend some quality time with it to get into it.

Coen

The British are the greatest EA-wankers in the world. I'm more surprised Great-Britaint got mentioned then Poland.

BTW, Pikmin was released on october 8th. I'd like to think it'll be higher up next week.

Phantom

The complete lack of Pikmin 2 advertising probably didn't help its case.

I didn't even know it was released and I spend hours each day on gaming forums/websites.

I really wish I could buy it but with uni work, Halo 2, Half-Life 2, PES4 etc all out soon I can't afford it, probably end up getting it for christmas.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"No surprise VJ is bombing on PS2. Hidden away on the bottom shelves everywhere I looked."

it bombed pretty hard here as well.

Broshnat

Banned
I too apologise for my country.

I cannot believe the lack of taste of people over here for games.

Music is a different matter tho!! ;-)

I was caught out for a second or two with regards to the Pikmin2 sales but its not that surprising really. Isn't UK the ONE european region where the gamecube ain't that hot/popular? Is quite understandable.

But the OR2 sales are shocking :O (not that it matters without numbers)

(not that it matters without numbers)
(not that it matters without numbers)

thomaser

Pikmin 2 was released on Friday, so it's not THAT strange that it's low on the charts. Give it some time... I think it'll sell quite well nearing Christmas.

Subitai

Man, FIFA 2004 is still up there too. Madden doesn't even do that here.

With Burnout 3, I can't see how people would go for Outrun 2 in big numbers.

Nemo > Sharktale

Rome Total War > Dawn of War

Fable = Fastest Selling UK game ever.

Triumph for long-awaited RPG title as it tops the Xbox ranking in style

EA's latest update to the FIFA Football franchise has gone in at number one in the UK all-formats chart, as expected - but all eyes are on Big Blue Box' Fable, which tops the Xbox ranking and becomes the fastest-selling Xbox game ever.

FIFA 2005 tops the PlayStation 2 chart this week, ousted from the top spot on the Cube chart by Pikmin 2 and on the Xbox chart by Fable, and although the game has the 10th biggest launch week ever for a PS2 title, that's still down on the performance of last year's edition, which is at number six in the all time PS2 first week sales ranking.

British-developed Fable, meanwhile, has replicated its massive success in the USA a couple of weeks ago with an exceptionally strong debut in the UK, taking number two in the all-formats chart and number one in the all-time first week sales ranking for the platform.

The success of FIFA and Fable has seen last week's number one, Star Wars Battlefront, dropping down to number eight in the chart after only a single week at the top, with its sales reduced by nearly 60 per cent over last week's figures.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
The utter fucking *shame* of UK game buyers is exposed
If I marry this girl:

erica-pemberton-2.jpg

Which I'm trying to do, I'll become American in protest.

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
Outrun 2 isn't much of a surprise, but Pikmin 2? What happened?

*tries to find other GC titles on the list*

Nevermind. :|
???

1 FIFA 2005 EA SPORTS
22 SHARK TALE ACTIVISION
38 26 SONIC HEROES SEGA
30 36 SHREK 2 ACTIVISION

...not saying GameCube is responsible for most of these sales, but there's more for GC than just Pikmin 2 here.

jarrod said:
???

1 FIFA 2005 EA SPORTS
22 SHARK TALE ACTIVISION
38 26 SONIC HEROES SEGA
30 36 SHREK 2 ACTIVISION

...not saying GameCube is responsible for most of these sales, but there's more for GC than just Pikmin 2 here.

But, if you look at the individual format for the Gamecube, Pikmin is the #1 GC game, so their contribution to those multiplatform games is minimal.

TOP 20 NINTENDO GAMECUBE

1 PIKMIN 2
2 FIFA 2005
3 WWE: DAY OF RECKONING
4 ANIMAL CROSSING
5 TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND

http://www.charttrack.co.uk/html/uk/Software charts/Nintendo Gamecube Frameset.htm

I think we had some actual chartrack numbers leaked before and the breakdown was overwhelmingly PS2, then PC, then Xbox, and finally GC. The Xbox numbers were generally single digits to teens with respect to share and the GC was in the low single digits.

snapty00

Banned
jarrod said:
???

1 FIFA 2005 EA SPORTS
22 SHARK TALE ACTIVISION
38 26 SONIC HEROES SEGA
30 36 SHREK 2 ACTIVISION

According to the post made by sonycowboy, Pikmin 2 is the number one title on the GameCube charts, so I think it's safe to assume that GameCube contributed very, very little (and in the case of some titles, basically nothing) to those multiplatform titles. The only title where it probably made a significant dent was Fifa.

^^ I only noticed it today!

And I picked up FIFA on the cube yesterday as well. While I wish I'd of known Pikmin was out, FIFA is actually not that bad. I haven't even thought about buying another FIFA game since 02 or something. And I only got that because it was a fiver. And I found a "football mat" going for a fiver too...

but this new one's decent enough. Pretty slick visually.. getting sick of the commentating.. the first touch football thing with the C-stick is alright, as are the rest of the controls generally. My brothers love footy so they were happy to split this three ways... thus it only cost me a tenner. So I'm pretty happy with it!

Choice is Pikmin 2 or Donkey Konga on Friday, and I think I'm going with Donkey Konga, and picking the Pikmin up later!

jarrod

Banned
snapty00 said:
According to the post made by sonycowboy, Pikmin 2 is the number one title on the GameCube charts, so I think it's safe to assume that GameCube contributed very, very little (and in the case of some titles, basically nothing) to those multiplatform titles. The only title where it probably made a significant dent was Fifa.

sonycowboy said:
But, if you look at the individual format for the Gamecube, Pikmin is the #1 GC game, so their contribution to those multiplatform games is minimal.

TOP 20 NINTENDO GAMECUBE

1 PIKMIN 2
2 FIFA 2005
3 WWE: DAY OF RECKONING
4 ANIMAL CROSSING
5 TONY HAWK'S UNDERGROUND

http://www.charttrack.co.uk/html/uk/Software charts/Nintendo Gamecube Frameset.htm

I think we had some actual chartrack numbers leaked before and the breakdown was overwhelmingly PS2, then PC, then Xbox, and finally GC. The Xbox numbers were generally single digits to teens with respect to share and the GC was in the low single digits.
Erm, that really has little to do with more GC games being on the chart than just Pikmin 2. I said GC contributed little to the multiplatform sales already... I hope you both feel better though. :p

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
jarrod said:
???

1 FIFA 2005 EA SPORTS
22 SHARK TALE ACTIVISION
38 26 SONIC HEROES SEGA
30 36 SHREK 2 ACTIVISION

Well, I never said there weren't any other GC games on the list, now did I? :p I was thinking more like, where are all the other Nintendo-developed, thus GC exclusive, games? Because those are the games that seem to gather any noticable sales...

jarrod said:
Erm, that really has little to do with more GC games being on the chart than just Pikmin 2. I said GC contributed little to the multiplatform sales already... I hope you both feel better though. :p

Jar,

I know you said it didn't contribute much, but I assumed you were still talking about sales, not just game availability. I'm not sure what your point was when we were talking about sales. I don't think anybody is doubting that the GC has quality games available, are they? I think people are more talking about the GC's 3rd place by a significant margin status.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
GC seems to be dying a death in the UK, with all my local shops reducing its shelf size (not just the GAME store with the rabid Xbox-fanboy manager). Perhaps it's partly down to the ease of importing titles and Nintendo's half-assed approach to bringing games out over here.

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
Well, I never said there weren't any other GC games on the list, now did I? :p
You said you couldn't find any... what's that imply exactly? :p

iapetus said:
GC seems to be dying a death in the UK, with all my local shops reducing its shelf size (not just the GAME store with the rabid Xbox-fanboy manager). Perhaps it's partly down to the ease of importing titles and Nintendo's half-assed approach to bringing games out over here.
Yeah, The UK's never been very kind to Nintendo (and vice versa). Even GBA is doing rather badly over there...

GC + a game is still £99 in many stores (£79 on its own)... you can get an Xbox or a PS2 for that. What I gather from talking to a lot of gamers here is that Xbox is viewed as fresher/newer and more powerful, PS2 is viewed as having the most games. Probably quite right on both counts really...

Nintendo are between a rock and a hard place really. They need to cut the price again, or kick ass with some nice bundles. The new Donkey Konga bundle is ok - the kongas, cube, game and Memory card for £89.99... but I think it's high time they did a GC + GBA bundle or something.

Their presence on actual shelves has been smaller than the other two for well over a year. New GameStation stores seem to give them fair floorspace... in fact, everything about Nintendo's performance in the UK is fair. They're beaten on price and in terms of the games out in Europe. There's a lot coming out in the next few months, so it will probably pick up even if it doesn't pull any miracles.... plus it's still selling up on last year.

So I wouldn't say it's "dying a death".

Deg

Banned
GC wont die but its last here in the UK.

I shop online. Not worth going to shops IMO. Much better prices online, More choice, everything is actually new and free delivery. 25% off on amazon.co.uk or play.com for example.

Prine

Banned
haha, just saw the new Xbox commercial on Sky. Its brilliant

Comic book style presentation. Black and white characters being suck up into a huge Xbox

"Crystal Xbox now £99"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Die Squirrel Die said:
ISpeaking of Nintendo, why are they marketing Donkey Konga over Pikmin2?

Unfortunately, it's generally the case of "either one or the other" with NOE, as far as home consoles go at least. They've admitted as much in interviews..this is just the latest example. It's kind of shameless and really sad. I don't know whether to blame NOE for incompetence or NCL for starving NOE of resources.

Top Bottom