• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Warrior interview (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCKLES

being watched
From Sun of all places - in UK to promote Legend of Wrestling Showdown game:-

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003560001-2004282273,00.html

IF you ask anyone who grew up watching wrestling in the late 1980s and early 1990s who their favourite superstar was then the answer is very likely to be The Ultimate Warrior.

His match with Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania VI on April 1 1990 split playgrounds and workplaces around the world, as the two most popular stars in the business clashed for the WWF title.

Warrior won that bout, one of the greatest of all time, and had another cracker a year later with Macho Man Randy Savage.

However after falling out with owner Vince McMahon, the superstar walked out of the federation – now known as the WWE – three times, and quit the business for good in 1998.

Since then, unlike almost every other grappler from his generation, Warrior has never returned to the ring and very rarely speaks to the press.

So that's why we're delighted to announce that to celebrate three years of bone-bending wrestling coverage on Sun Online we secured an interview with the legendary star.

Below you can read Warrior's explosive views on why he fell out with Vince and what he really thought of Hogan.

The star also told us about his speaking career, appearance in Acclaim's new Legends Of Wrestling computer game and answered the question on every fans lips - whether he'll ever wrestle again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you miss the wrestling business and why did you leave?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss wrestling.

Running out in front of 80,000 people at Wembley and having them cheering you - there's no drug you can take to get that kind of high.

I also miss always working to develop and create your character behind the scenes.

But in the early 1990s – about a year and a half after my match with Hogan – I started having professional fall-outs with Vince McMahon.

I ended up having three of them, 1996 was the last one and that was the final time I ever wrestled in the WWE.

I was living in Arizona at the time and had been out of the business for three years. I wasn't look to come back as I had a big health club there and I was developing other entrepreneurial projects like a comic and a training school.

But I met up with Linda McMahon and we agreed on a really unique contract.

It was only four pages long and said they were going to pay me a flat fee to capitalise on me as a wrestler and I was going to use their marketing and merchandise to plug in my other projects.

Then after four or five months they started violating the terms of the agreement and I didn't have any choice but to leave.

The same weekend that the sh*t hit the fan, where they really stepped way over the line and I knew there was a plot to get me, I got a call at my gym from my dad's wife saying he was on his deathbed.

I hadn't seen my dad for years - Vince and Linda had acted like surrogate parents - and everything that happened made me realise it was never going to work and I should just go my own way.

That fall-out led to a breach of contract lawsuit, which I pursued in a five year litigation and means I'm the only ex-WWE wrestler who owns his own intellectual property.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After leaving the WWE for the final time, your only comeback was for a brief period in 1998 with WCW. Did you enjoy it there?

The ratings were high for my segments, but the truth is the organisation was already in disarray and pushing what I like to call "cultural degeneration".

It was all about "how far can we get naked, how many curses can we get away with" instead of doing the harder thing and putting on a good show.

I talk to people who have followed the business for a long time, and they say there is something missing nowadays. There's not the creativity in the storylines anymore.

If you look at all the great stories that have been told in entertainment, there's always a distinct line between good and evil and right and wrong.

But in wrestling now, there is none of that. All the characters, whether they're good or bad, have basically the same kick-ass attitude.

In my opinion, wrestling has gone as far as it can with titillating people and the fans are just numb to it now.

What are you doing now and how has wrestling helped you forge a new career?

When I got into the wrestling business I pursued it like anything else in my life, as a goal. I knew while I was paying my dues, and working the small independent territories, that I had something different.

I had a physique that was different to other people's and I knew if I wrapped that in a colourful, vivid and intense character it would work.

When I finally reached the ultimate goal, no pun intended, of fighting Hogan at WrestleMania VI, I was already starting to look beyond the ring.

As Ultimate Warrior was evolving as a character, I was also evolving and maturing as a man.

At that point, Vince McMahon had a really unique opportunity to be an incredible mentor for me, but instead he revealed himself to be unethical and unprofessional.

I didn't quite understand it at the time, that's why I came back twice and gave him the benefit of the doubt, but in 1996 it showed its full ugly face.

At that point I had already taken entrepreneurial steps and thought about how I could use the investment I'd made in Ultimate Warrior outside the ring.

I used some of the success I'd had from professional wrestling to invest in myself, and I went on a self-learning journey and became interested in the great books of the western world and all the great philosophers.

Part of that was building a speaking career, giving talks at schools and colleges about using your mind not muscle.

To have done something so intense and physical like wrestling, that left an impression on people that still stays today, and then to use my brain in the same way – I said "this is where my new career lies".

That's what I've been doing for the last five or six years, and it's been very successful.

COMEBACK KID? ... Warrior reveals
whether he'll make an in-ring return

The question every wrestling journalist gets asked without fail is "will Ultimate Warrior ever wrestle again?" So what it would take for you to make a comeback to the WWE?

I'd need to have a crystal ball and know exactly how things would play out. If I was to come back I'd need complete control over my character. And that's never going to happen.

Aside from what you watch on television, there's a whole part of the wrestling business in which you need to conduct your business.

In other words, when you get to a certain level you have to protect your character so it's not destroyed.

There are so many ways the political part of the business can do that, if you don't protect yourself.

It's not a far reach to say that every person who has ever left the WWE of their own accord but then went and cowered back to Vince, he has used them and totally eaten them up.

That's the way he operates, and there's just no way I can go back to the WWE.

Especially with the creative direction of cultural degeneration they've been on in the last five or six years.

It's not an easy thing for me to say that I'll never go back - because I do miss the money, success and thrill of the business – but that's the truth.

What about returning to the ring for another federation, maybe WWE's American rival group NWA:TNA run by Jeff and Jerry Jarrett?

When NWA:TNA first got off the ground, Jeff Jarrett and his dad did contact me.

But they spoke to me like I was chomping at the bit to get back into the ring and all they had to do was set the match up and I'd show up for free!

Also they were talking in circles and didn't want to get to the point of what they wanted to do with me.

I represent myself and know what is going on business-wise and just how much The Ultimate Warrior is worth. There's only one other personality in the business who has the same price tag, and that's Hulk Hogan.

I get contacted about coming back all the time – mostly from couch potatoes who can operate a remote and think that makes them a promoter – but they're not even on the page when it comes meeting my terms.

If the offer was right and you were given the control to develop your character, are you still in physical shape to wrestle?

It would take a huge investment on my part to get back into the ring.

Physical fitness and staying in shape is something I've been doing since I was 12-years-old, so based on an historical perspective I could probably wrestle for seven or eight more years.

But I couldn't just step back in the ring next week, I'd need to make a six-month commitment to going back.

I'd be an absolute idiot who should be put to death if I was still running around ready to go in the ring right now, at this very moment, like that was important to me.

We can only hope, for our sanity, that when people get to a certain age they grow up.

So I'm not like some of the idiots I used to work with who never grew up and ended up dying in cheap motel rooms doing dirty drugs.

These guys are dropping dead for the very simple reason that when you're in your 20s you can get away with doing certain things, but when you're 45-years-old you're taking a big risk that your body can't handle.

I don't have any sympathy for them. I'm not doing it and I think people are disappointed in that. The funny thing is if I had ended up a bum then I think I'd be better appreciated for what I achieved.

Do you think the fact that you've not come out of retirement, like almost every other star from your era, makes Ultimate Warrior a more enduring character?

Yeah, I really do. And if I decided to come back, I would never do it like Roddy Piper did last year. He was out of shape, but could get away with it a little bit because physique was never his thing.

If I come back, I've got to be razor sharp or people will frown on it, and that's the last memory they'll ever have of me.

It's not easy for high-profile athletes to move on, but it's something that our society needs them to do, because they have large audiences they can help.

Nobody can doubt that Hulk Hogan is the white tiger of the wrestling business - it would never have got to where it is if it wasn't for him – but tell me one important thing he's said as a 50-year-old man.

Do you still watch wrestling?

I haven't watched any wrestling since I left in 1998, I've not even caught it flicking through the channels.

But I hear a lot about it, through people writing to me and letting me know what is going on.

Your match against Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania VI is one of the greatest and most talked about in history. What are your memories of the day and how did you prepare for the bout?

I'm really proud of that match, it was the highlight of my wrestling career and one of the best matches of all time.

Hogan and I only got together once before the match. He lived in Florida and there was an old wrestling school down there and we walked through an outline of the match once.

We went over it again before the show and then got into the ring and did it. The chemistry between us was just natural.

We didn't have a big creative team and writing staff back then, so it was left to the two guys to work out the match. It was still choreographed, but there was a lot more shooting from the hip.

People often say to me "when did you practice", but the practice was being on the road every night.

That match was one of the only bouts in WWE history where both wrestlers went in and came out as good guys. Why didn't they try and turn you bad?

Every year when they were trying to build publicity for WrestleMania they'd take one of Hogan's buddies and turn him into a backstabber.

They could never do the two babyface thing, because it would cut Hogan's marketing.

But when it came to Ultimate Warrior v Hulk Hogan, I was selling merchandise at the same level as he was.

They couldn't turn me heel or it would have cut their own neck.

VIRTUAL GRAPPLING ... the star in Legends Of Wrestling Showdown

Were you and Hulk Hogan ever friends and what do you think of him personally?

When I was in the WWE I never had a chance to spend any time with Hogan. I recognised that to succeed in the business I had to be a loner.

But in WCW in 1998 I spent a weekend at his place in Florida, and I was disappointed and disheartened.

The guy was still wrapped up in materiality – he had 17 motorcycles and 20 cars that wouldn't start just sitting in the garage.

His kid was six or seven-years-old at the time and wouldn't get excited about anything, because he had it all already.

Other than your match with Hogan, what do you consider your wrestling high points?

If you go through and look at my career, Ultimate Warrior has participated in some of the greatest matches in the business.

I had an unbelievable run with Andre The Giant. What Andre did for me was amazing, allowing me to go around the country and put him in bear hugs, where he'd squeal like a pig, and beat him in 45 seconds.

I also had an incredible run with Macho Man Randy Savage. I think WrestleMania VII, where I beat him, was an experiment in really pushing the envelope and making people believe in destiny and gods.

I also had a great feud with Rick Rude and we had some fantastic matches.

How do you react to people who criticise what you achieved because you were more of an entertainer than a technical wrestler?

Because I don't want to get back into the business, it does mean people bash my career like it never really mattered.

But the truth is, when you go back and look at it, I had one of the most credible careers of any character.

When I came up in the industry and had my match with Hogan, there were technical wrestlers who had been around for 10 or 15 years and still hadn't worked out how to get on.

People bashed me because I didn't have wrestling skills, but if I would have concentrated on that rather than my character I would never have succeeded.

The WWE have been inducting lots of legends from the past into their Hall Of Fame – is this something you'd like to be a part of?

To be honest, I'm not really interested.

I'm the first guy to step up to defend my career, and how special and credible Ultimate Warrior as a character was, but I have more important things in my life.

I want to have a large family, and be a mentor to my kids, that's what is most important to me.

I've been married to my wife Indiana for five years and we've got two daughters, aged three and one. I like the journey I'm on right now.

The greatest thing that ever happened to me was the first time my little daughter gave me a kiss.

You're part of the new Legends Of Wrestling computer game, the only time we might get to see you in the ring again. What made you decide to add your name to the roster.

They approached me to be in the first two games but I said no and for the most part I'm onboard now because they were persistent and passionate.

A lot of the other old timers are sitting there and if you call them up and say, "I'll give you a couple of hundred bucks to come and wrestle" then they'll come.

So when Acclaim called them and said, "we'll give you $500 to be in a video game," they were like "sure, when can you send the money?"

I had a lot of other things going on, so I held out. It also gave me a chance to find out how passionate they were about the project.

I've never even played a video game, as I prefer reading books, but I will play this one and I'm excited by what I've seen of it so far.

Finally, what legacy do you think Ultimate Warrior has left?

I think I've left a legacy that will never die. The Ultimate Warrior will never die.

Ultimate Warrior is a concept that means something to everybody and my performances, and the way the character looked on the screen as if he'd walked off the pages of the comic, is something that nobody can ever compete with.

Nobody in the business will ever again be able do things the way I did.

Legends Of Wrestling Showdown featuring Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, Sting, Davey Boy Smith, Rick Rude and many more icons is out on July 2.

SFA_AOK

There's a wrestling channel on Sky that the Sun sponsor. They were showing the best of the Dynamite Kid earlier today, good stuff.

Neo_ZX

You know, although his last run in WWF and then WCW absolutely sucked, I actually have gained respect for him since then after reading something like this with actual substance.

Hogan on the other hand, I've lost a hell of a lot of respect for with his comparitively childish attitude. Its sad since he was possibly the biggest hero in that wrestling era.

bjork

I could like Warrior if he dropped the "holier than thou" shtick and if he wasn't clinically insane.

They should've asked him is his facepaint was laced with LSD.

bjork said:
I could like Warrior if he dropped the "holier than thou" shtick and if he wasn't clinically insane.

They should've asked him is his facepaint was laced with LSD.

Amen to that, this guy is Fuckin unbelivable what an asshole. I honestly wish I had never read that, he comes off as such an elitist shit kicker. Oh yeah he held out of the video game to see how "passionte" the developers were? Please, he wanted to know how passonate their bank accout was

bjork

Strike East said:
Amen to that, this guy is Fuckin unbelivable what an asshole. I honestly wish I had never read that, he comes off as such an elitist shit kicker.

This was nothing in comparison to the rant on his website following the death of Davey Boy Smith, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom