• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Underrated feature of Samsung displays- proprietary "HDR10+ Gaming"

The first few months I owned my G9 OLED, I wondered why the colors and contrast in Call of Duty Warzone looked so great compared to any other game I played. I realized Samsung has a proprietary HDR mode called "HDR10+ Gaming", similar to Dolby Vision. Only a select few games support it but it looks like the list is growing. I just noticed RDR2 added support for it this year and the game looks amazing because of it.

Does anyone have a Samsung display? Do console games support it or is it just on PC?

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Is that the "Gaming HDR" in the Game Mode feature? Because I think it looks too washed out if I remove the Contrast Enhancer, it looks so bad it's not a joke, even if I set the brightness to max it still looks too dark and washed out, and that's supposed to be the developer original intend or whatever so even tho I thought HDR looked great at first, it was just because I had Contrast Enhancer enabled and I'm not sure it would make the image kinda "worse" enabling it again so I'm ditching the HDR because I don't want to deal with that shit setting it up game by game or whatever.

You know which one is the other solution people on the internet gave me? Disable the "Gaming HDR" altogether, just play with non-gaming HDR, so I don't think it's that good at all... Hell, now I think HDR in gaming is a mistake.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
If you have a sub $1000 tv, you wouldn’t notice any difference, also the majority of games doesn’t have a good HDR implementation, in the majority of cases is better to turn off the HDR.
I Have an LG C2 OLED..... I have probably just gotten use to it. so you do not see it anymore.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I tried playing Cyberpunk in Dolby Vision on my Sony tv but its not a game mode so the input lag felt terrible.

Last edited:
"The colours and contrast looked so great", compared to what? The SDR output of the game?

Does the monitor switch to a different picture mode?

No, compared to regular HDR. It looks significantly better than standard HDR. It switches automatically to it whenever I boot up a game that supports it.

Is that the "Gaming HDR" in the Game Mode feature? Because I think it looks too washed out if I remove the Contrast Enhancer, it looks so bad it's not a joke, even if I set the brightness to max it still looks too dark and washed out, and that's supposed to be the developer original intend or whatever so even tho I thought HDR looked great at first, it was just because I had Contrast Enhancer enabled and I'm not sure it would make the image kinda "worse" enabling it again so I'm ditching the HDR because I don't want to deal with that shit setting it up game by game or whatever.

You know which one is the other solution people on the internet gave me? Disable the "Gaming HDR" altogether, just play with non-gaming HDR, so I don't think it's that good at all... Hell, now I think HDR in gaming is a mistake.
Are you sure we are talking about the same thing? Because in COD and RDR2, two games that support it, it does not look washed out at all. Brightness may be a bit dim but I attribute that to the OLED nature of my display. If you bring up the options menu while you’re gaming, it will specifically say “HDR10+gaming” while it’s enabled.

I tried playing Cyberpunk in Dolby Vision on my Sony tv but its not a game mode so the input lag felt terrible.

cyberpunk also supports this Samsung hdr10+gaming mode. I didn’t notice any input lag. I think it’s a gaming specific HDR mode so they optimize for low latency

Meicyn

Gold Member
I Have an LG C2 OLED..... I have probably just gotten use to it. so you do not see it anymore.
SDR content is mastered with peak brightness at 100 nits. HDR content is mastered at a minimum of 400 nits, with some content such as Mad Max: Fury Road being mastered at 4000 nits. Your TV is capable of achieving nearly 800 nits.

If I were to make an analogy, think of your TV like a lightbulb with a dimmer switch. Remember how bright a 100 watt incandescent bulb was compared to a 40 watt bulb when you feed it max power? Well, you have the equivalent of a 100 watt bulb, but you have elected to use a 40 watt dimmer switch. As a consequence, you will get 40 watts worth of brightness at max because you have limited what the bulb can receive.

You should be utilizing HDR when the option is available, especially on an OLED. The difference between HDR and SDR is massive when bright elements kick in. You need to find a game that lets you swap easily between SDR and HDR, and go to a location where you have a mixture of extremely dark shadowy content and extremely bright elements like spotlights or the sun. The difference will showcase how flat SDR content is comparatively.

There are exceptions of course. HDR implementation in Red Dead Redemption 2 for consoles was an after-the-fact implementation and was done half-assed. Everything looks washed out in that game in HDR. There are other games that also did a trash implementation of HDR.

Modern releases like Final Fantasy XVI, Dragon’s Dogma 2, Hogwart’s Legacy, Tetris Effect, and other titles have excellent HDR implementation. SDR just doesn’t compare.

Isn't HDR10+ an existing standard that has been around for years? It's just HDR10 with dynamic metadata (like Dolby Vision).

So, yeah, the games and the TV have to support it. I don't think any have bothered since games can dynamically tone map internally, and Dolby Vision exists and is accepted.

Samsung is infamously against Dolby Vision, likely due to licensing fees, so of course they are going for the free alternative. It's good to see soemone using it, though.

You need to find a game that lets you swap easily between SDR and HDR, and go to a location where you have a mixture of extremely dark shadowy content and extremely bright elements like spotlights or the sun. The difference will showcase how flat SDR content is comparatively.
For me this game was Uncharted 4.

I had been using one of the highest end Sony 1080p LED TVs, and games like The Last Guardian and Horizon Zero Dawn had me curious about HDR. I bought a Sony 900E (4K HDR) just to test HDR games. I fully expected to be disappointed and to return the TV. I was so convinced, I didn't even fully unbox the TV. I left the TV in the carton base in the middle of the floor.

It only took one scene in Uncharted 4, toggling HDR on and off, to see that the TV would be a keeper. As you say, SDR looked so incredibly flat, washed out even, compared to HDR. This is one major problem I have with my favourite genre, JRPGs, in that they are almost always still in SDR. I also feel bad for PC gamers that are stuck with 99% of their games not supporting HDR, and true HDR monitors (not those fake "HDR400") are still exceeding rare and expensive.

Meicyn

Gold Member
This is one major problem I have with my favourite genre, JRPGs, in that they are almost always still in SDR.
Dude, you aren’t kidding… I don’t know why Falcom won’t move to HDR, it’s right freaking there. On a similar note, I used to play FFXIV religiously and with the graphics overhaul for their entire game, I expected them to add HDR support. I have read nothing about it being added, which makes zero sense when their goal was to modernize the visuals and they went over every visual asset to upgrade them, including better lighting. Why would they skip doing HDR? This is even more confusing considering FFXVI looks amazing in HDR and runs on the same engine, produced by the same team!

Kataploom

Gold Member
Are you sure we are talking about the same thing? Because in COD and RDR2, two games that support it, it does not look washed out at all. Brightness may be a bit dim but I attribute that to the OLED nature of my display. If you bring up the options menu while you’re gaming, it will specifically say “HDR10+gaming” while it’s enabled.
Well, I guess the right term I wanted to use was "dim", it looks like if I set the brightness to 200 nits or something like that, it truly looks awful, I have a Samsung QN90B and the feature I'm talking about is HGiG which is labelled as "Gaming HDR" in the TV menu

SDR content is mastered with peak brightness at 100 nits. HDR content is mastered at a minimum of 400 nits, with some content such as Mad Max: Fury Road being mastered at 4000 nits. Your TV is capable of achieving nearly 800 nits.

If I were to make an analogy, think of your TV like a lightbulb with a dimmer switch. Remember how bright a 100 watt incandescent bulb was compared to a 40 watt bulb when you feed it max power? Well, you have the equivalent of a 100 watt bulb, but you have elected to use a 40 watt dimmer switch. As a consequence, you will get 40 watts worth of brightness at max because you have limited what the bulb can receive.

You should be utilizing HDR when the option is available, especially on an OLED. The difference between HDR and SDR is massive when bright elements kick in. You need to find a game that lets you swap easily between SDR and HDR, and go to a location where you have a mixture of extremely dark shadowy content and extremely bright elements like spotlights or the sun. The difference will showcase how flat SDR content is comparatively.

There are exceptions of course. HDR implementation in Red Dead Redemption 2 for consoles was an after-the-fact implementation and was done half-assed. Everything looks washed out in that game in HDR. There are other games that also did a trash implementation of HDR.

Modern releases like Final Fantasy XVI, Dragon’s Dogma 2, Hogwart’s Legacy, Tetris Effect, and other titles have excellent HDR implementation. SDR just doesn’t compare.

Well that’s the thing. I remember RDR2 looking washed out on console and even on PC to the point where I turned off HDR because I thought SDR looked better. That’s why I was so surprised at how damn impressive the game looks with HDR10+ Game on my Samsung G9 oled. The HDR is one of the best implementations I’ve ever seen

Isn't HDR10+ an existing standard that has been around for years? It's just HDR10 with dynamic metadata (like Dolby Vision).

So, yeah, the games and the TV have to support it. I don't think any have bothered since games can dynamically tone map internally, and Dolby Vision exists and is accepted.

Samsung is infamously against Dolby Vision, likely due to licensing fees, so of course they are going for the free alternative. It's good to see soemone using it, though.
I guess it’s similar but it has the “Gaming” moniker now after it. I guess it’s a gaming optimized version of HDR10+

Well, I guess the right term I wanted to use was "dim", it looks like if I set the brightness to 200 nits or something like that, it truly looks awful, I have a Samsung QN90B and the feature I'm talking about is HGiG which is labelled as "Gaming HDR" in the TV menu

I have that enabled on my Samsung G9 as well but this is something different. HDR10+ gaming is different than HGiG

Meicyn

Gold Member
Dude, what? You have a TV that can handle almost 2000 nits! Have you run the HDR calibration on your console(s) in the console settings whether it be Xbox Series or PS5? If you’re gaming on PC, you need to download the HDR calibration tool for Windows available from Microsoft.

You have a high quality TV, HDR games should not look dim on it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Dude, what? You have a TV that can handle almost 2000 nits! Have you run the HDR calibration on your console(s) in the console settings whether it be Xbox Series or PS5? If you’re gaming on PC, you need to download the HDR calibration tool for Windows available from Microsoft.

You have a high quality TV, HDR games should not look dim on it.
I did, I actually three HDR profiles on PC considering I was using it with and without Contrast Enhancer and doing tests, it looks dimmed af, like it was intended to only be watched in the most absolute darkness

Meicyn

Gold Member
I did, I actually three HDR profiles on PC considering I was using it with and without Contrast Enhancer and doing tests, it looks dimmed af, like it was intended to only be watched in the most absolute darkness
I don’t use Samsung TVs so I can’t offer any other advice at this point… all I know is, my spouse is currently playing Baldur’s Gate 3 on PC in HDR and it definitely isn’t dull in any sense.

Maybe crazepharmacist crazepharmacist can help with some settings?

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Proper HDR in games has left me staggered at times. PLEASE invest in a proper display because sometimes HDR leaves my jaw on the floor with how good it looks. It's stunning and transformative for some games. I really can't praise it enough.
I have an LG OLED C1. And I configure it.

Tomi

Proper HDR in games has left me staggered at times. PLEASE invest in a proper display because sometimes HDR leaves my jaw on the floor with how good it looks. It's stunning and transformative for some games. I really can't praise it enough.
Can you give me some games what have best hdr implementation based on your experience?

REDRZA MWS

Own an 77” LG GX, all the hdmi 2.1 gaming blows. Instantaneous response, best picture deepest blacks. I’ll never buy any other tv.

I don’t use Samsung TVs so I can’t offer any other advice at this point… all I know is, my spouse is currently playing Baldur’s Gate 3 on PC in HDR and it definitely isn’t dull in any sense.

Maybe crazepharmacist crazepharmacist can help with some settings?
No, I can’t. That’s the whole point of HDR10+ Gaming. The developers have to specifically support it and it’s automatic. There’s no settings to tinker with, if it’s on, you’re playing the game as the developer intended.

Meicyn

Gold Member
No, I can’t. That’s the whole point of HDR10+ Gaming. The developers have to specifically support it and it’s automatic. There’s no settings to tinker with, if it’s on, you’re playing the game as the developer intended.
Nah, let me clarify… I mean for HGiG. You said you have HGiG on your Samsung G9 in response to his issues with HGiG on his set. I’m not familiar with Samsung settings so I can’t offer advice.

I get what you’re saying on HDR10+, it’s akin to Dolby Vision which is fantastic and a huge leap over HDR10 the same way it’s a leap over SDR. Dolby Vision on my Bravia 9 is a completely automated affair.

hinch7

Looking forward to testing this out when my G8 arrives, next month. Coming from the origional G7, should be a crazy upgrade in HDR.

Puscifer

I don't really think I see a major difference between HDR and non HDR.
I think this is what happens when there's no real standard for any of this stuff. Dolby Vision and Hcic (is this even still a thing?) can provide better results because it's a base minimum for contrast, color, black levels, etc whereas HDR10 is just loose standard.

Last edited:

HDR doesn’t make the screen brighter. It extends the range of brightness. You may just be used to whatever brightness Samsung thinks is best, which is probably double the expected value. There is no technical reason why it should be more dim with HGIG unless Samsung’s default tone mapping is completely blowing out the brightness curve.

Assuming Samsung isn’t doing shady stuff behind the scenes (which they have been documented doing), HGIG mode calibrated at the console/pc/game level is the intended image.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
HDR 10+ is a fucking waste.

Dolby Vision took over and owns dynamic metadatic. Dynamic metadata IMO is less important for games than it is for movies.

eNT1TY

Indeed good HDR does more for visuals than higher resolution and/or settings and have often given me that "next gen" wow factor at lower rez on console despite quantifiably worse performance across every other metric.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I have an LG OLED C1. And I configure it.
Configure it properly than or invest in some eyeglasses. The C1 is more than capable of producing eye-popping HDR. You might literally be the only person in the world with a C1 who claims they can't see a difference between HDR and non-HDR content. That is a sick-ass tv.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Configure it properly than or invest in some eyeglasses. The C1 is more than capable of producing eye-popping HDR. You might literally be the only person in the world with a C1 who claims they can't see a difference between HDR and non-HDR content. That is a sick-ass tv.
It is. I think I have just gotten so use to it I don’t remember what it use to look like.

Kataploom

Gold Member
HDR doesn’t make the screen brighter. It extends the range of brightness. You may just be used to whatever brightness Samsung thinks is best, which is probably double the expected value. There is no technical reason why it should be more dim with HGIG unless Samsung’s default tone mapping is completely blowing out the brightness curve.

Assuming Samsung isn’t doing shady stuff behind the scenes (which they have been documented doing), HGIG mode calibrated at the console/pc/game level is the intended image.
Not doing anything like that myself, TV max brightness is 50 and I use it at 20 like 90% of the time, then enable HDR and colors look a little washed out and it looks like if I set the TV brightness at 5 or so. But that only happens with contrast enhancer set to off, when it's set to on it looks great, but yeah it seems like it's not the proper way to experience HDR so I just stayed on SDR and called it a day.

All your replies make me think that maybe I should give it another go to try and fix HDR if there's something to fix, I just think I've dealt enough with it.

I had a tv that supported it and I think a handful of amazon shows used it but even amazon uses dolby vision now.. Pretty much a dead format.

It’s definitely not if RDR2 supports it (you know gta6 will) as well as cyberpunk 2033 and the call of duty franchise. Those are some of the biggest games out there

Bojji

On my LG most of time HGIG makes image OVERALL less bright compared to DTM but highlights are usually brighter with HGIG, differences between darker and brighter parts of image are bigger as they should be.
Dynamic Tone Mapping usually brightness up everything and some people prefer it, but for sure this is not what creators intended. Vincent explained it really well here:

As for HDR differences, Jedi Survivor looks much better with HDR:

KPnvtzu.jpg

Top Bottom