• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Banned
Would they follow a broken, castrated man who can produce no heirs? I doubt it.

I doubt it, but I hope they at least have some lines of dialogue discussing the legality of ignoring the king's heir because he doesn't have a dick anymore.

Maybe they don't know he's alive, she told them all he was dead.

I mean yeah, but he said he would support Yara. I don't think he can do that and keep his existence a secret. :p

edit: Kings Landing has by far the best actors in the show. But I just cant stand a lot of what they did with the plot there.

I also dislike how they made Pycelle and Mace both into utter comedic relief. Like, not even just an inherently silly character, but clowns. Pycelle in particular. I still can't get over him shitting himself after trashtalking Robert Strong. That's just such poor comedy and shouldn't even be in this show. It's even lower than bad pussy.

I doubt it, but I hope they at least have some lines of dialogue discussing the legality of ignoring the king's heir because he doesn't have a dick anymore.

There will be a good joke about it. You can count on D&D.

I also dislike how they made Pycelle and Mace both into utter comedic relief. Like, not even just an inherently silly character, but clowns. Pycelle in particular. I still can't get over him shitting himself after trashtalking Robert Strong. That's just such poor comedy and shouldn't even be in this show. It's even lower than bad pussy.

Mace is just an act! Believe!

This is the first Kingsmoot in thousands of years if I recall correctly. Normally it is the heir who becomes king. I think it was Damphair who said there had to be a Kingsmoot.

He tells Yara that Balon didn't get to decide who takes his place as king, though. Which made it sound like this sort of thing happens whenever a king dies, rather than it being unique to this situation. In the books it's a lot more clear. Balon gone under mysterious circumstances, 2 of his brothers & his daughter are all fighting for to take his place, so the Kingsmoot is tradition but only when it's contested.

It just feels like we've had a few seasons of everyone talking about Theon as their heir and now they're acting as if heirs don't matter to the Iron Born.

Henkka

Banned
He tells Yara that Balon didn't get to decide who takes his place as king, though. Which made it sound like this sort of thing happens whenever a king dies, rather than it being unique to this situation. In the books it's a lot more clear. Balon gone under mysterious circumstances, 2 of his brothers & his daughter are all fighting for to take his place, so the Kingsmoot is tradition but only when it's contested.

It just feels like we've had a few seasons of everyone talking about Theon as their heir and now they're acting as if heirs don't matter to the Iron Born.

This is a show where a couple of bastards, heirs to fuck-all, wiped out the Martell line and took over Dorne. I don't think D&D are too bothered about the minutia of such things.

Ratrat

My complaints:
Everything about Loras
Tommen
Reason for imprisoning Margaery
They quite ruined the anti-religious/misogyny aspect from The Faith

I don't care about Mace and Pycelle much, I'm more disappointed at the lack of any memorable scenes with Kevan. No one is going to give a crap when he dies.

Moff

I'm more disappointed at the lack of any memorable scenes with Kevan. No one is going to give a crap when he dies.

the problem is that varys doesn't even have a reason to kill him in the first place.
in the book he kills him because varys needs a power vacuum in kings landing and kevan has proven to be a too competent ruler.

in the show all he does is stand down.

Ratrat

the problem is that varys doesn't even have a reason to kill him in the first place.
in the book he kills him because varys needs a power vacuum in kings landing and kevan has proven to be a too competent ruler.

I would have loved to see the smack down he serves Cersei in FFC. And at this point I was thinking Littlefinger would have him assasinated instead. Now, maybe he'll wrestle back some authority when Jaime runs off from Cersei. Most useless Hand ever.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

why would it be varys that kills him on the show? sure, i guess he can do it through his little birds, but i could see cersei killing him (and pycelle). unless varys is planning on teleporting back to westeros sometime soon.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I don't care about Mace and Pycelle much, I'm more disappointed at the lack of any memorable scenes with Kevan. No one is going to give a crap when he dies.

If they want to pull off the Kevan death scene, they should kill off Olenna too. She's been portrayed as very competent in the show and someone who is keeping everything together.

Of course then everyone will be like "They killed grandma! And some other guy?"

Moff

that's a good call, it probably makes sense to kill olenna with kevan and pycelle

maybe cersei pushes over some oil lamp in the small council chamber or something like that

I'm thinking (hoping) that once this shitshow with The Faith goes down he's going to stand up and slap Cersei's hand away from the table.

Henkka

Banned
I'm guessing Kevan will die because it happens in the books and D&D seem like they're hellbent on killing every C-tier character in the show, but the circumstances must be completely different. Varys kills him because he supports Aegon's claim to the throne, and Aegon doesn't exist.

Since they set up Qyburn taking over Varys' little birds, I'm guessing Cersei will have him assassinated. Or maybe Qyburn will act on his own?

Moff

I'm guessing Kevan will die because it happens in the books and D&D seem like they're hellbent on killing every C-tier character in the show, but the circumstances must be completely different. Varys kills him because he supports Aegon's claim to the throne, and Aegon doesn't exist.

aegon doesn't really matter

varys needs an unstable realm for aegon in the books
he needs the same for dany in the show

The Game Revealed confirms that one of Arthur Dayne's swords is Dawn.

Yeah, didn't realize that they actually look different as well. Game Revealed is a cool look at some key scenes from more of the directors/production perspective, I recommend it to anyone that isn't watching it.

---------------

I wish they could dedicate more time to Kevan and his rule, but I understand that it's probably not something they have much time for on the TV show.

My complaints:
Everything about Loras
Tommen
Reason for imprisoning Margaery
They quite ruined the anti-religious/misogyny aspect from The Faith

Oh yes, I get what you meant with plot. But I also hate how they made Mace and Pycelle into dumbass clowns for lowest denominator "comedy". All that is missing from making Pycelle a 90s American sitcom character is the laugh tracks.

that's a good call, it probably makes sense to kill olenna with kevan and pycelle

maybe cersei pushes over some oil lamp in the small council chamber or something like that

Heh. Joking aside though, I could see Cersei's gambit against the High Sparrow failing, somehow resulting in Tommen's death, and she just loses it and has Kevan, Olenna, and Mace killed to consolidate what little power she has left.

edit: Oh, and looks like they released the prop for the show version of the pink letter:
tumblr_o7an50U07C1uxwan3o1_540.jpg

Jaime Lannister, the dumbest person alive, also admitted to the high sparrow that he let Tyrion go.

Oh yeah, I forgot he just casually throws that out there like it's common knowledge like him being the Kingslayer.

It would be funny if Cersei is the one who ends up leaving Jaime instead because of this.

Faddy

Banned

Perhaps explainable by Balon declaring himself King and the Iron Islands no longer part of Westerosi customs and traditions. Or maybe the religious guy was being a dick to Yara because he doesn't think women should be in charge.

TRios Zen

Heh. Joking aside though, I could see Cersei's gambit against the High Sparrow failing, somehow resulting in Tommen's death, and she just loses it and has Kevan, Olenna, and Mace killed to consolidate what little power she has left.

snip

Cersei has no power though does she? I mean if Tommen dies, she has no claim to the throne I believe.

I'm guessing that the battle occurs, Margery is freed but at great cost to Tyrell army leaving the Lannister/King's guard forces the only remaining power in King's Landing.

Also, was it just me or was the Cersei/Jaime/Kevan/Olenna scene in this episode almost exactly the same as the one from E03, with a bit about the Tyrell army tacked on the end? Still, The Mace is about to swing on the Faith!

It's not just you, 4 episodes in and KL is still completely on standstill since Cersei's walk, nothing new has happened, it's been all filler.

edit: Oh, and looks like they released the prop for the show version of the pink letter:
tumblr_o7an50U07C1uxwan3o1_540.jpg

Doesn't he explicitly say "trueborn" in his titles on the show?

Cersei has no power though does she? I mean if Tommen dies, she has no claim to the throne I believe.

I'm guessing that the battle occurs, Margery is freed but at great cost to Tyrell army leaving the Lannister/King's guard forces the only remaining power in King's Landing.

Tyrell army being in King's Landing also opens the Reach up to being invaded by Euron. If they're even still doing that in the show.

King's Landing was (and has been for a while now) the worst part of the episode. Holy shit. I have zero idea what they're trying to do with Tommen. One second he's all about what the High Sparrow's selling, and the next he's all heart eyes for Cersei and her paranoia. Margaery is the only potential that whole plot has. She's scheming up something. You just KNOW this whole "let's storm the sept with an army" bullshit is going to go belly up because having it succeed would be too easy.

Jaime is an idiot, Cersei has done fuck all, and the whole arc drags down the other great moments the show has. You go from highs like Jon and Sansa FINALLY BEING REUNITED and the Pink Letter to the HS monologing for like the 283847922992 billionth time. It's so boringgggggg.

SteveWD40

Oh yeah, I forgot he just casually throws that out there like it's common knowledge like him being the Kingslayer.

It would be funny if Cersei is the one who ends up leaving Jaime instead because of this.

Does she not accuse him of it when Tywin dies? I think she did... I imagine she knows it was him, not many people in power cared for Tyrion beyond Jamie.

mantidor

Doesn't he explicitly say "trueborn" in his titles on the show?

Only before Roose died, he is now Lord of Winterfell, Sansa figured out quickly he killed his father obviously based on this.

Basically no one at all believes Roose was poisoned.

Book letter says "trueborn" but that is because Roose is still alive in the books.

I wouldn't call what were clearly set-up scenes "filler".

yeah it's clearly about to go off in a big way there. The High Sparrow told Tommen something "not to tell his mother" knowing full well he would. And that's that Margaery will be doing her walk of atonement soon, which we know she is not planning to do. But he knows that this will force the Lannisters/Tyrell's to storm the church to stop this from happening. So he gets them to act aggressive against the church first. He can then seize control of the city through whatever wartime clause for the church exists, doing the thing that allows the Faith to be armed now. I don't believe a single word the high sparrow has said and he's better at playing the game than anyone in that city right now.

I could be way off though, it's happened before.

dabig2

yeah it's clearly about to go off in a big way there. The High Sparrow told Tommen something "not to tell his mother" knowing full well he would. And that's that Margaery will be doing her walk of atonement soon, which we know she is not planning to do. But he knows that this will force the Lannisters/Tyrell's to storm the church to stop this from happening. So he gets them to act aggressive against the church first. He can then seize control of the city through whatever wartime clause for the church exists, doing the thing that allows the Faith to be armed now. I don't believe a single word the high sparrow has said and he's better at playing the game than anyone in that city right now.

That's how I'm hoping it goes down too. High Sparrow has read Tommen like a book. He is extremely cunning and the show having Tommen reiterate that to his mom (and the audience) before telling her this "secret" is a set-up.

But they haven't actually shown us anything. We still don't know exactly what he said, all we heard was crappy religious sermons disguised as content.

The fact that things are about to go down was true since Cersei's walk, we've spent 4 episode saying "things are about to go down". We didn't need a scene telling us that Tyrells wills move in on the Sept, all we needed was to see the Tyrell's move in, their motivation is easily understood and we didn't need a scene to explain to us why they are doing it.

But they haven't actually shown us anything. We still don't know exactly what he said, all we heard was crappy religious sermons disguised as content.

The fact that things are about to go down was true since Cersei's walk, we've spent 4 episode saying "things are about to go down". We didn't need a scene telling us that Tyrells wills move in on the Sept, all we needed was to see the Tyrell's move in, their motivation is easily understood and we didn't need a scene to explain to us why they are doing it.

Yeah, I see what you mean. We can feel chess pieces being moved around but it's not very exciting when it's just the pawn going one space forward.

Especially when the pawn is a king with a droopy chin.

Gigglepoo

King's Landing, more than any other place on the show, is all about how the politics of this world work. So what we've seen since Cercei's walk is how the pieces are moving about the board for whatever grand plan they have. The High Sparrow scenes show how brilliantly he can manipulate the people in power. He knows exactly what to say to sway them to his side with each speech geared specially toward the person he's talking to. It's some of the best writing the show has had.

But you're also seeing how Cercei is trying to wrest back the power that was taken from her. We needed to see the small counsel scene where Lady Olena decides to send Tyrell forces. This military coup is on her shoulders now, and Mace's, because Cercei manipulated them into action. And she cowed Kevan so he wouldn't interfere.

So often we complain that the show didn't earn a major event or didn't explain why it happened. The King's Landing plot is addressing those complaints. It's my personal favorite this season. There are so many people with different goals and I have no idea how it's going to play out.

Does she not accuse him of it when Tywin dies? I think she did... I imagine she knows it was him, not many people in power cared for Tyrion beyond Jamie.

I think you're right, I forgot about that. I would think Cersei would be a little more pissed about that if she really suspected him though. She isn't really obsessed with finding Tyrion like she is in the books.

While this is true, people would complain why there was no scene to set up and why the Tyrell's just showed up somehow knowing Margaery was going to do the walk. Complaints either way it seems.

Also someone said earlier Jaime was going to lead the Tyrell's charge on the faith, but didn't the previous season 6 trailers show it was not Jaime? I thought it was Mace.

mantidor

I'm a bit lost about geography.

We know the biggest threat is the White Walkers, they are already at hardhome, which according to this maps I'm seeing is kind of closer to the Wall than to Winterfell, isn't going to Winterfell a bad idea? They are leaving the wall unprotected.

I know it's kind of a requirement for the plot now, but it bothers me Jon and co. keep ignoring it.

Plasmid

We know the biggest threat is the White Walkers, they are already at hardhome, which according to this maps I'm seeing is kind of closer to the Wall than to Winterfell, isn't going to Winterfell a bad idea? They are leaving the wall unprotected.

I know it's kind of a requirement for the plot now, but it bothers me Jon and co. keep ignoring it.

What can they do otherwise. They have no tools to fight them so you might as well save WinterFell. I'm guessing the wall falls in the finale.

Enosh

white walkers made like 5 miles in the past 3 seasons, think he should be fine :p

I do think that they will attack the wall just as he has conquered winterfell

devilhawk

It's not clear what the white walkers can do against the wall. Maybe they progress slowly as they essentially bring the winter or that they only progress as winter reaches further south.

Or they will reach the wall when the plot demands it.

CassSept

What can they do otherwise. They have no tools to fight them so you might as well save WinterFell. I'm guessing the wall falls in the finale.

Crap, now that you said that I'm gonna be disappointed with whatever happens, this would be one hell of a finale

King's Landing, more than any other place on the show, is all about how the politics of this world work. So what we've seen since Cercei's walk is how the pieces are moving about the board for whatever grand plan they have. The High Sparrow scenes show how brilliantly he can manipulate the people in power. He knows exactly what to say to sway them to his side with each speech geared specially toward the person he's talking to. It's some of the best writing the show has had.

But you're also seeing how Cercei is trying to wrest back the power that was taken from her. We needed to see the small counsel scene where Lady Olena decides to send Tyrell forces. This military coup is on her shoulders now, and Mace's, because Cercei manipulated them into action. And she cowed Kevan so he wouldn't interfere.

So often we complain that the show didn't earn a major event or didn't explain why it happened. The King's Landing plot is addressing those complaints. It's my personal favorite this season. There are so many people with different goals and I have no idea how it's going to play out.

That makes no sense. Loras is the heir to Highgarden, Margaery is their tie to the crown. Why do the Tyrells have to be "manipulated" into taking action? The Tyrells should have already have the Sept surrounded with troops in episode 1,

Ralemont

not me

They didn't ignore it, Ed said exactly that (as far not leaving CB because the WW were coming). The letter from Ramsay saying he was going to murder and rape all of them in some order changed things.

Gigglepoo

That makes no sense. Loras is the heir to Highgarden, Margaery is their tie to the crown. Why do the Tyrells have to be "manipulated" into taking action? The Tyrells should have already have the Sept surrounded with troops in episode 1,

I.... um... huh

Reasons? Probably reasons. Very good reasons, I'm sure.

Well, it's funny that in the books the Tyrells are slow to the punch too. It's Tarly who brings his army to KL and bails Margaery out instead of the Tyrells.

Doesn't Tarly reach the city before Mace (who leaves the siege of Storm's End a soon as he receives word of her imprisonment) and swears to return Marg. for her trial if she's released into his custody, which the Faith agree to because they barely have any evidence as it is?

Surfinn

I was thinking this too. Maybe Jon sees more opportunity in gathering support in other places instead of blindly defending the wall in a fight he know they can't win. Makes more sense to either gather support and go back to the wall and defend it with more allies or fight them off in areas more organized/protected/battle ready. Even if that means letting the wall fall. Won't make a difference if they're there and lose anyway in their current state.

Well, I know he's not thinking these things right NOW, but he probably will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom