• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massa

From what I remember, Littlefinger didn't know about Ramsay's craziness which is really poor writing. Just endorsing what people said in this thread.

Anyway, I doubt Sansa would forgive him after what Ramsay did to her. I hope it's just D&D screwing their plot and GRRM has a better idea.

Well, Roose knew about Ramsay's craziness and he still didn't expect him to lose Sansa. Littlefinger had to assume she would at least be alive and there by the time he came back, that's not a crazy assumption even with the rumors that must go around about Ramsay.

Sansa will either forgive him or better yet, she'll pretend to forgive him to get his army.

Faddy

Banned
Oathbreaker is the good one this season. I didn't like Book of the Stranger though. Margy name dropping it seemed pointless outside of giving the title something to reference and almost every episode involves people dying so the title could have been used for any episode just as effectively.

Home is by far the worst though. Its main reference was from Theon and even that was bad since everyone immediately thought it was misleading and meant Winterfell. Actually, Book of the Stranger and Home would've worked better if they switched episodes. Last episode involved Theon returning home, Sansa and Jon discussing returning home, Jorah and Daario trying to bring Dany "home" and technically even Rickon was now "home". Meanwhile, Jon's resurrection would have made Book of the Stranger feel more special rather than being for episode 54 of "someone dies tonight".

The Book of the Stranger reference is actually more to do with the High Sparrows story. He indulges himself then looks around at the aftermath and realises he has a mission to fulfil.

The episode was all about characters finding their purpose

Gigglepoo

I've said it before, I love to trash on the show but production is amazing and really I can't complain about it. It annoys me a little when people want more episodes or more lengthy episodes, when we know they barely manage to do 10 episodes in one whole year.

I don't think adding an extra minute or two of dialogue would be too taxing.

munchie64

Preview images, trailers etc.
So if the big King's Landing stuff isn't until episode 6, there's not gonna be much Riverlands in this season is there?

Euron

I was just thinking how much more we could have gotten out of Jon vs Roose than Jon vs Ramsay. Sure, BastardBowl sounds cool and all but it would have been much more meaningful to have Jon face off against the man who personally killed Robb. Plus Roose was overall a much better villain.

Lothar

Banned
I was just thinking how much more we could have gotten out of Jon vs Roose than Jon vs Ramsay. Sure, BastardBowl sounds cool and all but it would have been much more meaningful to have Jon face off against the man who personally killed Robb. Plus Roose was overall a much better villain.

It would have been better for Jon to be against both of them. I don't see what sense it makes to get rid of Roose. That just deprives us of another good actor for no reason.

Aurongel

It would have been better for Jon to be against both of them. I don't see what sense it makes to get rid of Roose. That just deprives us of another good actor for no reason.
Roose is the best tactician in the north, he even warned Ramsay of this before he iced him. Having him out of the picture levels the playing field a bit. This is a show all about characters having blind spots that do them in and the death of Roose will probably be Ramsay's.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The Book of the Stranger reference is actually more to do with the High Sparrows story. He indulges himself then looks around at the aftermath and realises he has a mission to fulfil.

The episode was all about characters finding their purpose
I get your idea here but if that's the thematic the show was going for they could have made it more streamlined.

Book of the Stranger --> Sparrow & Margy talk --> Sparrow tells his story --> everyone finds their purpose

is sorta unwieldy

Especially since Book of the Stranger implies more about death than it does about finding purpose in life (religious or otherwise)

From what I remember, Littlefinger didn't know about Ramsay's craziness which is really poor writing. Just endorsing what people said in this thread.

Anyway, I doubt Sansa would forgive him after what Ramsay did to her. I hope it's just D&D screwing their plot and GRRM has a better idea.

His idea didn't involve sending sansa to winterfell in the first place... so yeah, I would assume he has a better idea.

Turin

Banned

Truth.

The way McElhatton played him, Roose naturally had a far more ominous presence along with being a more interesting character. It'd feel like more of an uphill battle for Jon and co. than it does with Ramsay who just has the numbers on his side and can fight shirtless.

duckroll

While we're at it, what if Ned actually took the black instead, and everything else played out as it did, and Jon stays dead, but now Ned is the one leading an army down to fight Roose? Ned vs Roose would also be much cooler because Ned is a better character and hero than Jon!

carlsojo

To be honest though, that would likely never happen. Roose had no interest in challenging the Night's Watch whatsoever, and Jon doesn't really seem like he's interested in fighting the Bolton army. If anything, they'd negotiate.

Gigglepoo

All the old people are getting killed off. Ned, Roose, Tywin, Balon, Jeor, Doran, Stannis, Barriston, and Robert. The show is just catering to those darn millennials!

dabig2

All the old people are getting killed off. Ned, Roose, Tywin, Balon, Jeor, Doran, Stannis, Barriston, and Robert. The show is just catering to those darn millennials!

All these old white guys dead and dying and Walder Frey is still alive and well, sitting in his chair going "heh".

Turin

Banned
While we're at it, what if Ned actually took the black instead, and everything else played out as it did, and Jon stays dead, but now Ned is the one leading an army down to fight Roose? Ned vs Roose would also be much cooler because Ned is a better character and hero than Jon!

Now I want to see a movie/show with Sean Bean opposite Michael McElhatton. You monster!

All these old white guys dead and dying and Walder Frey is still alive and well, sitting in his chair going "heh".

"Forever young, he said. heh."

Ned is a better character and hero than Jon!

No he isn't. Ned was already a badass when the show started. Most of the cool stuff that he did to become the man we see happened of screen before the events of the show( i hope for more flashbacks or even a robert's rebellion prequel show in a few year though, that tower of joy was amazing)
Jon story started out boring (especially compared to the awesome stuff happening on King's Landing at the time) but he has grown as a character before our eyes. Now all the slow build up has being paying off in the last couple of seasons and it looks like it the best are yet to come.

Forkball

These book changes are out of control.

vymT8Ao.jpg

Euron

To be honest though, that would likely never happen. Roose had no interest in challenging the Night's Watch whatsoever, and Jon doesn't really seem like he's interested in fighting the Bolton army. If anything, they'd negotiate.
Neither of them would have a choice since multiple Starks being alive and in the North would inherently divide people against the Boltons. Roose had interest in finding Rickon and we could assume the Umbers would do the same thing, along with Sansa convincing Jon to get him back.

Roose would probably try to lead Jon into a trap with Rickon which would make the situation far more interesting than Ramsay being the captor as he's only capable of torture and brute force. He'd be the ultimate human enemy for Jon not because of the physical battle he represents but the mental one.

Just a reminder that leak discussion is bannable in this thread, spoiler tagged or not. There are plenty of other places on the internet to talk about that if it's what you want to do. Also, please don't beg for links via PM. Thank you.

Oh shit you know what would be hype? Howland Reed and the crannogmen joining the fight against the Boltons. Supposedly very loyal to the Starks and he actually is now inserted into the TV-show via flashback(s?).

Moff

Oh shit you know what would be hype? Howland Reed and the crannogmen joining the fight against the Boltons. Supposedly very loyal to the Starks and he actually is now inserted into the TV-show via flashback(s?).

you mean with his faith soldiers or what? I'd say he's busy in king's landing

dubq

I don't buy that Littlefinger didn't know about Ramsay. He knows everything and is just playing his usual game.

Forkball

If Littlefinger knew, he's an idiot.
If Littlefinger didn't know, he's an idiot.

This is the guy who instigated the entire series, right?

I would expect this to happen. How else is Jon going to find out THE BIG REVEAL? He and Ned were the only ones left at the tower. Unless he turns up in Winterfell after the battle. You'd think he'd want to know what happened to his two kids he sent there too.

So I was listening to the Game of Owns podcast and the one guy made a point that its really interesting when Bran made a noise and his father turned around thinking something was afoot. I am very interested to see how this will play out and to see the extent of his powers.

Wouldnt it be funny though if Bran kept trying to change the events of the past only to find out he was responsible for everything that happened. Id probably die of laughter. Like he is yelling at Joffery to not kill Ned but all Joffery can hear is a voice saying "Kill him!!" Just barely making it out. Yeah that be great.

I would expect this to happen. How else is Jon going to find out THE BIG REVEAL? He and Ned were the only ones left at the tower. Unless he turns up in Winterfell after the battle. You'd think he'd want to know what happened to his two kids he sent there too.

I was thinking Bran+Meera would be the ones to go seek him out.

Also personally I'm not buying the Bran can affect the past thing. I think they are merely dreams of the past that he can infulence but that doesn't change the actual past in any way. And the reason why Bloodraven doesn't want Bran to hang in there for too long is that, like with the wolf dreams (especially in the books), Bran would just use this ability for escapism.

If Littlefinger knew, he's an idiot.
If Littlefinger didn't know, he's an idiot.

This is the guy who instigated the entire series, right?

He has secretely played everyone against each other and keeps using the chaos he causes to get new titles. He now used Sansa to make Cersei angry at the Boltons and promise him the North if he destroys them, knowing the Vale would follow him due to their affinity for the Starks.
He knew (even if he says otherwise) and he didn't care. But he is not an idiot. He is one of the smartest characters in the show.

They've updated the post with a bunch more photos.

-Bran going back to Winterfell past
-Bran maybe seeing the past of the Children of the Forest, maybe they have a connection to the white walkers.
-Jorahs greyscale is crazy now and maybe revealed to Dany
-Baelish probably telling Sansa the Vale is going to support her against the Boltons

Lots of shit going down.

Gigglepoo

The High Sparrow told Cercei he gave his shoes to someone who needed it more.

The High Sparrow told Margaery he left his shoes at a drunken orgy.

Is this the writers screwing things up or a hint that he's a liar?

Well, Roose knew about Ramsay's craziness and he still didn't expect him to lose Sansa. Littlefinger had to assume she would at least be alive and there by the time he came back, that's not a crazy assumption even with the rumors that must go around about Ramsay.

Sansa will either forgive him or better yet, she'll pretend to forgive him to get his army.
Roose knew about Ramsay's crazyness except for the times he forgot all about Ramsay's crazness and goaded him so much his murder was practically suicide.
The writers of this show seem to struggle with moving character's arcs forward without transforming them into complete morons.

Gigglepoo

Joanne Robinson made a great point on Storm of Spoilers: Of the characters who have undergone a serious trauma (Jon's death, Arya's blindness, Cercei's Walk, Sansa's rape, Dany's dragon ride/kidnapping), only Sansa seems like she's changed from her ordeal.

Great podcast, BTW, even though they are a little harsh on Feast/Dance.

Speevy

Banned
I think people often conflate the rough writing with Jonathan Pryce's performance, but I think it's really effective. He's so effective in fact that he's convinced viewers that he's actually a good person, which is unusual in portrayals of religious leaders seeking power.

Gigglepoo

I think people often conflate the rough writing with Jonathan Pryce's performance, but I think it's really effective. He's so effective in fact that he's convinced viewers that he's actually a good person, which is unusual in portrayals of religious leaders seeking power.

He's so great! I cannot wait to see how he single-handedly trumps the Tyrell forces. We got a taste of his power when Jamie threatened him but we're going to really see what he can do when the Sept is surrounded. He's a fascinating character and Pryce is absolutely killing it with his performance.

This storyline is so compelling in part because there's no good-versus-evil dynamic. The Lannister's are insist-loving pyschopaths! But we feel bad that Cercei was shame-walked. The Faith Militant carve fucking symbles in their heads! But they're the one force that's trying to help the common folk. Everyone is crazy and sympathetic!

Do you wanna know how I got these sins?
Heh, pretty much.
It's a testament to Pryce's performance and the writing of the character that some audience members buy his pitch as genuine as much of some of the characters he's influencing do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom