• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
He's annoyed because the vocal fans are the worst. They just won't stfu, they have zero self-awareness, and they tend to be really bad at social interaction. I mean, as a fan of the books, I'm disappointed too, but in the end it's just a fantasy novel series, and he's a human being. If he's unable to deliver it, so be it, harassing him isn't going to get it done any sooner, or more importantly, any better. This is his work and if ultimately he cannot finish it or finishes it in a disappointing manner, he would have let himself down more so than anyone else.

Humans do this kind of thing way too much. Whether it's fandom or perhaps even some cause they care very deeply about. Overzealousness can ironically lead to them hurting their cause, and they aren't self-aware enough to realize this.

Bigby

86ZGwqN.png

http://beautifuldeath.com/post/145013190828

Weird question but are there any fans of Buffy the Vampire slayer here? If so, did the wights in the last episode, specifically the way they were crawling on the walls, remind anyone else of the Turok-Han in the final episodes of season 7?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Could Dany herself be the one who fucks up Tyrion's diplomacy?

Dany isn't exactly known for long-term thinking, or diplomacy, or temporarily dealing with evil for the longer good.
And she decided to add Breaker of Chains among her titles.

dubq

Actually according to Kristian thats not what happened. Bran warged into Willas but not into present Hodor. He should have come out of the dream first. His hearing Meera yell hold the door transferred into young Willas but not older Hodor. Hodor was hodoring of his own free will

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/25/arts/television/game-of-thrones-hodor-feels-your-pain.html?_r=0

That is actually just the actors interpretation and wouldn't be the first time an actor was wrong about what was going on or what was written for them. After all they are only directed into performing a scene and do not necessarily know the machinations behind what is written.

gspec

In the books, after she rides on Drogon and before the dorthraki found her. She realized what she was doing in meereen was a failure because she was not acting like a targ. So she says she will now follow the family line of Fire and Blood.

IMO, she is going to unleash her dragons and the dorthraki horde on the cites of slavers bays.

Burn baby Burn.

Daemul

In the books, after she rides on Drogon and before the dorthraki found her. She realized what she was doing in meereen was a failure because she was not acting like a targ. So she says she will now follow the family line of Fire and Blood.

IMO, she is going to unleash her dragons and the dorthraki horde on the cites of slavers bays.

Burn baby Burn.
giphy.gif

I won't shed a single tear for Slavers Bay if this happens

duckroll

Burn baby Burn.

3 rebel cities. 3 dragons. Mmmmm toasty.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've never considered the show to be particularly good, but I liked to watch it anyway just to see how they handled the adaptation of the novels - see what parts of the material they included, what they left out, what their interpretations of the characters were like, who was cast, etc. but now that they're past the books, the main appeal of the series is gone for me. Some of the stuff this season may be/definitely is from future books, but it's all meaningless to me since I haven't read them yet and the show isn't good enough on its own to weather the barrage of book spoilers that are coming.

I thought about quitting after last season but I thought I could stick it out another season before things got too spoilery, but as it turns out, last week's episode was a little too much for me, so I've decided to bow out of the show until the book series is finished
in 16-28 years
. See ya GoT GaF~

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I've never considered the show to be particularly good, but I liked to watch it anyway just to see how they handled the adaptation of the novels - see what parts of the material they included, what they left out, what their interpretations of the characters were like, who was cast, etc. but now that they're past the books, the main appeal of the series is gone for me. Some of the stuff this season may be/definitely is from future books, but it's all meaningless to me since I haven't read them yet and the show isn't good enough on its own to weather the barrage of book spoilers that are coming.

I thought about quitting after last season but I thought I could stick it out another season before things got too spoilery, but as it turns out, last week's episode was a little too much for me, so I've decided to bow out of the show until the book series is finished
in 16-28 years
. See ya GoT GaF~
I really don't want to know what you consider good then...it may have some points where it suffers from the transition of book to show but it's still the best thing on television

in 16-28 years
. See ya GoT GaF~

Not a dig, but genuinely curious to know what your opinion is in regards to what is the best tv show in the whole world?

Jigorath

Banned
I really don't want to know what you consider good then...it may have some points where it suffers from the transition of book to show but it's still the best thing on television

Nah.

That's The Americans. I'd also put Fargo, Better Call Saul, Bojack Horseman, and a lot of other shows over Thrones. It is a definite improvement over last season though.

It's not even the best thing on Sunday nights on HBO right now.

Yep.

i dunno, i'm finding this season far more enjoyable than the last. i never thought it was a great show but it was always entertaining until the last season which was just a damn chore at times to sit through. now because they have to move closer to the finale so much of this is progression which is nice, especially in daenerys' case.

Speevy

Banned
It's not the best show on television, but it's the only show where you can see giant battles and dragons and magic and shit.

�� Penny.

This season has been boring compared to the last though.:/

I'm enjoying it, last week's bottle episode was great, Eva Green is a force of nature.

I find the show gets a lot of good will from me, even when it's kind of boring and the characters are saying some overwrought shit, the style and atmosphere and everything are still great. I think can forgive something for a lot if it has a pretty cohesive vision of what it is, while something like GoT is stepping more and more into generic fantasy for me and the level of the writing isn't enough to save it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think yalls are nuts, and I'm sticking with my opinion. Nothing else comes close.

Edit: I might check out Penny Dreadful, as it does seem like a show that's popular. Which means it has to be somewhat good. I do need watch Better Call Saul eventually, but I'm not sure I want to wait year-by-year and might go for it when it starts to wrap up. Bojack Horsemen is great but you can't compare a cartoon to something on the scale of Game of Thrones.

CloudWolf

Game of Thrones has never been the best thing on television.

but you can't compare a cartoon to something on the scale of Game of Thrones.

Yes, you can. They are both television series, they can be compared. The genre or scale of something has nothing to do with quality.

Kozak

Banned
Game of Thrones has never been the best thing on television.

Thats really a matter of opinion (one that I respect as I acknowledge that there are some amazing shows out there) but I definitely feel GoT is on a whole other level in terms of production.

I don't bother watching other things every week so there's that. Certain characters still bore me to sleep, but the good stuff is good.

Yeah the content can sometimes let the show down but when the content is good, coupled with that big budget and production values, the show just is on another level.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Something I just remembered and that they didn't dwell on, the girl with Bran threw a spear at one of the walkers and they shattered. What gives? Was it dragon glass spears?

Yara stole the fleet so of course they have to build one.

It isn't a new idea.

But at one point during the Kingsmoot, Euron asked Yara what she was going to do to make the Iron Born great and all she said was "I will build the biggest fleet the world has ever known!" And that was it. That was her "platform." And Euron's was the same thing. They at least could have had Yara's point of view be something different like..We need to rebuild the Iron Islands and invest in ourselves. Let's be "peaceful" in light of Balon's years and years of losing wars.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
But at one point during the Kingsmoot, Euron asked Yara what she was going to do to make the Iron Born great and all she said was "I will build the biggest fleet the world has ever known!" And that was it. That was her "platform." And Euron's was the same thing. They at least could have had Yara's point of view be something different like..We need to rebuild the Iron Islands and invest in ourselves. Let's be "peaceful" in light of Balon's years and years of losing wars.

Him having a cock was his platform.

hoos30

in 16-28 years
. See ya GoT GaF~

See ya next week! Book readers like you always come back (see Linda). You can't resist...stop declaring like this is actually something important that we need to know about. 🙂

Turin

Banned
There's more than a few valid criticisms to be thrown at the show but Season 1 is legitimately great and there's been some positive things to take notice of since then(Theon S2, Jaime S3, Red Wedding, most of S4, Hardhome). It's been mostly entertaining, sometimes bad and occasionally offensive.

Check out Fargo, Penny Dreadful, The Knick and Better Call Saul.

There's also the recently axed Hannibal.

I've heard The Americans is great but I haven't checked it out yet.

Penny Dreadful lacks Mace Tyrell, so it loses.

Penny Dreadful has Lyle. An effective counter the Mace's own magnificence.

realistically none of these shows are really offering competition to game of thrones in the public consciousness or ratings but i definitely think black sails and penny dreadful are stronger.

black sails' approach to the political scheming/dialogue and the charisma of their characters is something that even peak game of thrones never reached imo.

they really had a lot of potential in the iron islands and dorne but they shitted up the latter region and the former is kind of coming out like a whimper. Euron could have been a crazy popular character....

anyways i'm glad it's gotten entertaining again though. season 5 was such a bore at times and this is just so much more fun to watch episode to episode.

_Ryo_

I don't understand book readers who are afraid of being spoiled by the show in regards to future books, and, or, are mad at the show for being different. Thinking about it logically you're in almost exactly the sams position you were before.

Book first reader (before show surpasses books): generally knows what's going to happen in the show, but accepts the show may condense plot and characters.

Book first reader (after show surpasses books): generally knows what's going to happen in future books but accepts the books will expand on the shows version of plot and characters, and knows that literature is often more nuanced.

In both instances we aware of spoilers and as book readers it is highly likely the book will be better than the show...

I mean you can be upset at the plot and all the changes made but being upset solely because it spoils the books seems silly and even a bit hypocritical. I dunno.

Also, if you're like me you generally accept the book and show as completely separate things. The show is like the alternative time line of the books. Which means its easy to accept changes because while there may be a lot the same in both timelines, they're inevitably a lot different.

All that said, the iron borne and dorne in the show is just unforgivable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom