• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
In the preview
they show Theon and Yara all the way in Volantis. Since it looks like they're zipping around in 747s rather than boats, I think Dany will get to Westerns pretty fast using those vessels.

They know the sea better than Dany ever could.

Man I'm tired of characters saying this.

Sean C

In the preview
they show Theon and Yara all the way in Volantis. Since it looks like they're zipping around in 747s rather than boats, I think Dany will get to Westerns pretty fast using those vessels.
Yara and Theon don't have anywhere near the number of ships Dany needs.

Then Arya is obviously going to bail in the books too. Which begs the question as to why Martin wasted his time with that narrative point.
So she can learn the skills of an assassin and have a moral dilemma between joining them and asserting her Stark nature.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Wild speculation about Bran's vision:
what if the White Walkers are finally stopped in King's Landing by burning all the wildfire that is still buried?
Actually, the reality of production means they wouldn't waste money on special effects for 3 seconds of film time or on something not happening this season.

Which means
Cersei must use wildfire against someone this season. Unless that's some scene from Blackwater that I'm forgetting.

I liked this episode. It had good, meaty character scenes and good progress on some threads that had seemed stalled. And it's good to see some seemingly-dropped threads from the books picked up after all. Plus!!
The return of Bronn!!

I'm not a fan of the way Arya's time with the Faceless Men has been rewritten to be pretty boring and leave out any use of her inherent (warging) skills, but the scene we got this ep with the actors was about as good as could be expected given what was being set up. How does an actor afford to hire the world's premiere provider of assassinations?

Hazmat

Dany riding around a corner and coming back having seemingly completely tamed Drogon was pretty stupid, but it's better than spending an entire season jerking us off in Mereen.

And all these older characters keep popping up and making me wonder what the hell happened last season.

Holy shit, hell has frozen over. I actually really liked the Sam scenes. Highlight of the episode. Gilly was great.

How many more inspiring Dany scenes are we going to have to endure?

I liked this episode. It had good, meaty character scenes and good progress on some threads that had seemed stalled. And it's good to see some seemingly-dropped threads from the books picked up after all. Plus!!
The return of Bronn!!

I'm not a fan of the way Arya's time with the Faceless Men has been rewritten to be pretty boring and leave out any use of her inherent (warging) skills, but the scene we got this ep with the actors was about as good as could be expected given what was being set up. How does an actor afford to hire the world's premiere provider of assassinations?

The FM seem to charge on a sliding scale.

grandjedi6

How does an actor afford to hire the world's premiere provider of assassinations?
Don't the Faceless Men base their fee on not only who is being killed but also on who is requesting? A bit time actress should be able to afford the death of another bit time actress, though I'm sure the cost won't be cheap to her.

Also they sent a trainee to do it so it's clearly not high on their list of assassinations.

devilhawk

Actually, the reality of production means they wouldn't waste money on special effects for 3 seconds of film time or on something not happening this season.

Which means
Cersei must use wildfire against someone this season. Unless that's some scene from Blackwater that I'm forgetting.
Cersei does use it to burn down the tower of the hand after Tywin's death. Would seem a little late to do it in the show.

Jigorath

Banned
This Danaerys shit is weak man.

"Damn I really need a thousand ships to invade Westeros. It'd be really convenient if there was a certain Greyjoy working on that very task."

Speevy

Banned

"Damn I really need a thousand ships to invade Westeros. It'd be really convenient if there was a certain Greyjoy working on that very task."

He's doing laps around the iron islands as we speak. No trees yet, but they're hopeful!

jett

D-Member
Dorne aside, all of this High Sparrow shit is the worst thing the show has done. What an utter waste of time.

And I'm assuming they had no idea what to do with Arya so they just did whatever. A very poor episode overall.

Speevy

Banned
Dorne aside, all of this High Sparrow shit is the worst thing the show has done. What an utter waste of time.

And I'm assuming they had no idea what to do with Arya so they just did whatever. A very poor episode overall.

I'm surprised since you're normally very positive about this show.

Madness

Her storyline has easily been the worst since season 2. I cringe at Dany now. Easily going to be one of the worst rulers in Westeros history. It is quite obvious by now she cannot rule. Daario said it as well. You were meant to conquer not sit on a throne.

It is probably all those stories Viserys told her or the yes men around her. Who in the seven kingdoms wants thousands of eunuch slave-soldiers, raping horselords and sellswords in the country? Look how much she completely ruined Qarth, Astapor, Yunkai, Mereen and now even the Dothraki themselves. I think Dany is a euphemism for white savior syndrome and the US. We'll just go over there, kill their leaders, and rule peacefully and we'll be called Mhysa.

Burt

Her storyline has easily been the worst since season 2. I cringe at Dany now. Easily going to be one of the worst rulers in Westeros history. It is quite obvious by now she cannot rule. Daario said it as well. You were meant to conquer not sit on a throne.

It is probably all those stories Viserys told her or the yes men around her. Who in the seven kingdoms wants thousands of eunuch slave-soldiers, raping horselords and sellswords in the country? Look how much she completely ruined Qarth, Astapor, Yunkai, Mereen and now even the Dothraki themselves. I think Dany is a euphemism for white savior syndrome and the US. We'll just go over there, kill their leaders, and rule peacefully and we'll be called Mhysa.
... so Iraqis are murderous slaving cunts and Afghanistan is a swarm of savage rape raiders, or is it the other way around?

Lautaro

Which means

They made a CGI version of King's Landing covered by the shadow of a dragon before and that never happened in that season outside of the vision. They are not that tight fisted.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I still don't get the hate for the High Sparrow. His calm demeanor and ability to totally play the Lannisters and Tyrells at every turn is pretty amazing. I love the character, even if he doesn't turn out to be Howland. He's not a high lord and he's able to skillfully play their game, and kick their butts.

They made a CGI version of King's Landing covered by the shadow of a dragon before and that never happened in that season outside of the vision. They are not that tight fisted.

Could have also been the same fire effect from the blackwater put over a different scene. I know Star Trek did it pretty often, one time even using the same explosion SFX two episodes in a two.

Ri'Orius

Also, it's weird that show Arya has not successfully completed a mission. Book Arya takes out the insurance salesman, and doesn't seem to have anywhere near as much reticence about being an assassin as show Arya has. And unlike Jaime, where they can always have him sour on Cersei at a later time, there's no going back to get the coolness around death and violence tha book Arya gets as a faceless man.

The insurance salesman was a crook, refusing to pay out to the widows and orphans when he could get away with it. It totally makes sense that she'd be on board with that but not offing a kind and talented actress due to petty jealousy.

She doesn't have to rule. She conquers (including defeating the White Walkers), Tyrion and/or Jon do the actual ruling/kingdom management while she goes off to conquer somewhere else.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Curious what Sam's plan is. He can't really go to Oldtown now, since his father knows that's where he's heading. Can't imagine he could go back to the wall either.

grandjedi6

That's a lot cheaper than making new effects and such. However...

Could have also been the same fire effect from the blackwater put over a different scene. I know Star Trek did it pretty often, one time even using the same explosion SFX two episodes in a two.
This is pretty plausible. Someone should screen grab the explosions and compare.

NimbusD

Can someone remind me if the show ever went over why King's Landing isn't in active or planning open war with Dorne for killing the princess? It's crazy to have that shit happen then half the season it just never be mentioned again. It'd make more sense just to leave her in Dorne and not talk about her until you planned on actually doing something with that storyline.

Saya

Can someone remind me if the show ever went over why King's Landing isn't in active or planning open war with Dorne for killing the princess? It's crazy to have that shit happen then half the season it just never be mentioned again. It'd make more sense just to leave her in Dorne and not talk about her until you planned on actually doing something with that storyline.

The way D&D wrapped up Dorne in the first episode, it seems as if they wished it never happened. The assassination will probably not be brought up anymore and Dorne will stay irrelevant until Dany lands there with her army.

grandjedi6

Curious what Sam's plan is. He can't really go to Oldtown now, since his father knows that's where he's heading. Can't imagine he could go back to the wall either.
Sure he can. It's not like his father is going to follow him there. I'm more curious where Sam is going to keep Gilly while in Old Town.

UraMallas

I imagine tons of casual viewers going ''who'' at Benjen, Blackfish and Edmure.

Two separate groups of show-only people I talked to after. One my age (20s and 30s) and the other parents (60s). All of them immediately remembered Benjen and his relationship, which was surprising to me. I had to remind both groups who Blackfish was and some of them vaguely remembered Edmure and that he was at the wedding.

Well yeah, but it's more that she doesn't feel comfortable murdering for hire. Or at least that she ALSO doesn't feel comfortable with that. I think that the play made her remember that she had a list, and highlighted the reasons for that list.

Yep. I think it is ultimately going to be that Arya can't give up her list and won't forget who she is. Needle was always a bit of a sign of that in her. I don't think she'll ever truly join the Faceless Men.

Be careful what you wish for, do you want more Dorne in this show?

NimbusD

The way D&D wrapped up Dorne in the first episode, it seems as if they wished it never happened. The assassination will probably not be brought up anymore and Dorne will stay irrelevant until Dany lands there with her army.

Yeah that's what it seems. That's why I'm like... why fucking kill the princess? That just draws more attention to the fact that you're dropping that whole side of Westeros. They're going apeshit that their son is suddenly religious, but their daughter was actually killed and they pretty much forgot.

Man, this seasons been getting better for me, but I hate that any time I think into what's actually happening, it makes me hate the shortcuts the show takes. I need them fucking books to come out that actually lay everything out.

Be careful what you wish for, do you want more Dorne in this show?

I more just want them to at least be like: "Shit, we can't even do anything about it! We're fighting a war and spread to thin to mount another attack!"

instead they just stop talking about their murdered daughter.

In fact sometimes I forget they're even in all out war on this show this season outside of sometimes Winterfell.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Because more level heads are in charge instead of Cersei.

grandjedi6

He stole his sword. I imagine he's going to want to hunt Sam down.
He thinks Sam is a complete pushover though. I'm sure he thinks he can just demand it back via a letter or send his other son to fetch it. Considering Sam's the last person he wants to see, I doubt he'll do anything immediately. Sam probably figures he'll have finished studying the sword by then or will tell him off when he does arrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom