• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabuseika

Coldhands is in, fucking knew it.

When they showed Walder Frey, I knew Lady Stoneheart was back, believe it.

Edit:

Also Randyll Tarly was so good.

CloudWolf

GRRM also said that the new book would be out by now. Sometimes you just can't trust what he says. There's enough evidence in the books that Coldhands could very well be Benjen
Eh, I don't buy it. There's no conclusive evidence that Coldhands is Benjen and there is one very obvious hint that he isn't. Leaf says that Coldhands was killed a long time ago, two or three years ago wouldn't be a long time for a human, let alone a 200 year old creature.

I don't like that they made Coldhands Benjen even after GRRM specifically said it's not Benjen. It feels like some sort of fanfiction. That said, I like that they kinda introduced the character, even though it's painfully obvious he was a last-minute addition.

Oh, and Dany is even more boring in the show than she is in the books. What is even her arc in the show? All she does is win.

All she does is win win win no matter. Got the Iron Throne on her mind and she can never get enough.

Every time she go up on Drogon, all the Dothraki's hands go up! And they stay there, and they say yeah!

duckroll

Eh, I don't buy it. There's no conclusive evidence that Coldhands is Benjen and there is one very obvious hint that he isn't. Leaf says that Coldhands was killed a long time ago, two or three years ago wouldn't be a long time for a human, let alone a 200 year old creature.

Yeah but Leaf's dialogue is written by a human, who perceives time like a human, and sometimes poorly, like when he said he expected the next book to be done by now. :)

devilhawk

GRRM also said that the new book would be out by now. Sometimes you just can't trust what he says. There's enough evidence in the books that Coldhands could very well be Benjen, and GRRM has also said that Lady Stoneheart is "not Catelyn" because "death changes a person".
Leaf tells Bran that Coldhands was killed long ago. Would strongly suggest that it isn't Benjen, but who knows.
Edit: beaten

duckroll

Benjen Stark went missing in Game of Thrones, published in 1996. Leaf mentions that Coldhands died a long time ago in Dance with Dragons, published in 2011. 15 years is a long time!!!!!

Kerned

Banned

They literally say on the Inside the Episode that Coldhands is Banjjen.

NeoGiff

Madness... has HAD ITS DAY!!!

dI7sBPq.gif

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The Waif's whole character on this show just makes no sense. Why does she hate Arya so much, to the point where she made Jaqen promise that she could kill her? This is all pretty much the opposite of what the Faceless Men are supposed to be about.

Yeah this is what I don't get and they're pretty vague on for some reason with the faceless men cult. Jaqen gives her three kills for the three lives she saves from the wagon fire. Makes sense to honor a god of death with death.

But then you can just buy a faceless man for money? I always thought that was just a commoner rumor or myth or something. I figured they were behind some illuminati shit where they would kill a tyrant or someone particularly awful in the style of the Valyrian slaves, and then that would lead into them supporting Daenerys if they weren't already.

Then what do they do with the money? Bank of Bravos? They seem to have some weird code of honor and then they don't at the same time.

CloudWolf

Yeah, I just don't buy it. :)
If anything, they have merged the two characters since I do think that it will be revealed in TWOW that Benjen is somehow still alive.

But then you can just buy a faceless man for money? I always thought that was just a commoner rumor or myth or something. I figured they were behind some illuminati shit where they would kill a tyrant or someone particularly awful in the style of the Valyrian slaves, and then that would lead into them supporting Daenerys if they weren't already.

Then what do they do with the money? Bank of Bravos? They seem to have some weird code of honor and then they don't at the same time.
The Faceless Men have never acted on their own. They are incredibly expensive hired killers. In the books it's stated that in order to buy the services of The Faceless Men you have to pay with that which is the most precious to you and that the cost varies on the importance of the person. Hiring the Faceless Men to kill Dany would for instance cost a person more than hiring them for Lady Crane.

The payment can be money, that can be your own life or something else entirely (like it's theorized that Euron paid the Faceless Men a Dragon Egg for the death of Balon).

jdstorm

Banned
Some thoughts on tonight's episode
1. Margery is totally playing the high sparrow. Now she's out and sleeping with tommen again the king will do whatever she wants. It currently suits her to be on opposite sides with Cersi and the lannisters ( I'm guessing Jamie will switch sides soon and Kevin will be dead leaving Cersi alone on an island and primed to do something stupid)
2. Bran- yay cold hands I'm still not sure what his future role will be. But it seems very important. I'm guessing he rides a dragon (tyrion designed him a saddle in s1 if anyone remembers)
3.Arya is about to cash in her 3rd kill with Jaquen. (If I'm remembering correctly and he still owes her 1 life)
4. Jamie I hate show Jamie. In the books he was a total badass and mostly a genuinely good dude who was occasionally misguided. In the show this Jamie Cersi thing has lasted too long and become much more gross then the books

Brakke

Banned
Just finished it. Good momentum building, lots of people stepping up. Psyched for Arya v Waif showdown less because I care about that and more because I care about Arya getting kicked out of the temple at last.

Probably wouldn't have put the Dany thing at the end tho. Yeah yeah dragons are always the money shot I guess, it's just that that scene wasn't very important. It was good to see Dany rally her new khalasar and all, it would've been weird for them to fall in line with her after just the one bonfire. But still, it doesn't really change the status quo for her.

Brakke

Banned
Yoooo also King Aerys & wildfire in Bran's dream at the beginning. I was dreading the "Bran made everything happen" hypothesis and now I'm concerned they're going that way. Fucken time travel stories are the worst.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm assuming that Arya's plan might involve some pitch black room fighting, what with her Daredevil training.

I will say, hopefully that Aerys vision is just a stylized version of events, and will be a bit "cleaned up" if it ever goes full scene. They cannot be serious if they let Nikolaj play him back then, while letting another actor play young ned. Jamie would need to be a young man as well.

Plus they need a dead pyromancer in the room.

Aiii

So not worth it
Who gives a shit if Coldhands is or isn't Benjen in the books. This is the show and Benjen being Coldhands is just fine if GRRM is gonna make Coldhands and Benjen the same kind of ressurected non-White Walker anyways?

Which is obviously what's going to happen anyways. It's completely irrelevant wether or not Coldhands is or isn't Benjen in the books to the story they're telling here.

Moff

I can't believe how many people dislike this episode, as a book reader there were ton's of highlights
- Aerys in the flashback, with jaime killing him, the wildfire, so great
- Benjen is coldhands, goddamnit, and no recast
- Edmure not recast as well
- Randyll Tarly was fantastic, he actually looked and acted like I imagined Tywin in the books. I hope he hunts Sam down personally so we see more of him, I love how Sam decided to take Gilly with him and steal the sword, I love surprises
- another surprise, arya does NOT become a faceless man. she will kill the waif and jaqen will go "blabla, one life was spared, another was taken, allright girl, farewell" maybe he even gives her a facechanger kit as a goodbye. remeber maisi williams sad she was in the trailer as someone else, she will learn to change her face.
- another surprise, Jonathyn Pryce is such a good actor that he showed marge and tommen the light, Jaime no longer a kingsguard and ready to save the riverlands.
- I can never get enough of dragons and dany dothraki speeches, Fire & Blood you fools

and: my man
jaimeavkec.jpg

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Who says Lady Crane's assassination contract was paid for by money?

Well I want an example then of the payments at least. So far we've only seen life pay for death. Showing someone giving up something precious to them would make them a little more sympathetic in light of the fact they want someone dead.

decent episode, hopefully we don't have to deal with the basura sam/gilly shit anymore though. the family dinner was amusing because of the father but damn man no more of this awful pair please.

and god damn daenerys' scenes are just too goofy right now. emilia clarke isn't helping matters either. king's landing stuff was by far the best thing about it.

Lothar

Banned
and god damn daenerys' scenes are just too goofy right now. emilia clarke isn't helping matters either. king's landing stuff was by far the best thing about it.

They almost seemed to be making fun of themselves with the dialogue in that scene. Dany said they need the exact number of ships that Euron said he was building to take to Dany in the last episode. It's almost like she watched last week's episode.

I thought Cogman was supposed to be the good writer.

GRRM also said that the new book would be out by now. Sometimes you just can't trust what he says. There's enough evidence in the books that Coldhands could very well be Benjen, and GRRM has also said that Lady Stoneheart is "not Catelyn" because "death changes a person".

Except that GRRM told his editor that Benjen is not Coldhands. I doubt he would tell her half-truths as he does with fans.

FfI1goA.jpg

Real Hero

They almost seemed to be making fun of themselves with the dialogue in that scene. Dany said they need the exact number of ships that Euron said he was building to take to Dany in the last episode. It's almost like she watched last week's episode.

I thought Cogman was supposed to be the good writer.

I think at this point,they think they are writing for morons

Aiii

So not worth it
Except that GRRM told his editor that Benjen is not Coldhands. I doubt he would tell her half-truths as he does with fans/.

So instead of focussing on the book lore. Ask yourself if it matters if Coldhands in the show is Benjen or someone completely new.

Ask yourself if you want even more new characters to be introduced into the sixth season.

Ask yourself if you wanted Benjen to return in the show and have something useful to do.

And then again, ask yourself if it matters that Benjen is Coldhands in the show.

Also, note that nobody called him Coldhands in the show so if you want to pretend that Benjen isn't Coldhands you still can.

duckroll

I think at this point,they think they are writing for morons

Who are the real morons though? People who just take the show at face value, not reading too much into every detail, and who appreciate the show being easy to understand and have tits abd dragons... or the stubborn fans who after complaining for six seasons, continue to watch it, somehow imagining that if they complained enough the show will suddenly be something it's not?! #deepcontemplations

NeoGiff

I have to say, I was very impressed with Randyll Tarly's portrayal.

After my hopes of him being played by Ian McShane were dashed by McShane being cast in another role, I was worried, but this actor absolutely nailed him.

He effortlessly slid into the massive void left by Charles Dance in a similar role. I hope we haven't seen the last of him.

Real Hero

Who are the real morons though? People who just take the show at face value, not reading too much into every detail, and who appreciate the show being easy to understand and have tits abd dragons... or the stubborn fans who after complaining for six seasons, continue to watch it, somehow imagining that if they complained enough the show will suddenly be something it's not?! #deepcontemplations

I didn't say anyone is a real moron, just the show sometimes seems like it's trying to write for morons

phaonaut

I couldn't tell whether Kevin was in on the co-op between the faith and the crown or surprised at Tommens actions along with everyone else.

They had their armor altered from the crown to the seven pointed star, how could no one notice.
Is his guard members of the faith?

All in all, I'm really enjoying not knowing whats going to happen next. The episode ends so fast because of this.

Edit: One more thing, why would Olenna show up to a possible brawl?

Mixed feelings about this episode. I've really enjoyed the season so far, so I guess an average-at-best episode was bound to turn up. Observations:

- I felt so trolled with the march on the High Sparrow. I thought we were finally going to see the end of this tedious plot thread, but nope.

- Why has the show been boring me to death with Arya/Faceless Men bullshit for all of this time if she's just going to say 'fuck it' and leave them? Why join in the first place if she doesn't want to do it?

- The Sam stuff was boring to me (I haven't read the books so this may be why). Of course his father is an asshole. Felt like the whole point of this slog was to establish the valerian steel macguffin/chekov's sword hanging over the fireplace.

- I've missed Walder Frey and Benjen, great to have them back.

- Euron last episode: "I'm gonna go bang Danaerys and give her a thousand ships!" Dany this episode "anywhere we can get a thousand ships?" Ugh.

Lots of complaints but wasn't as tiring as the shit endured through last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom