• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase17

I think I said this a few weeks back, but I think Marg is playing Tommen with the faith stuff. At first I thought it would be convincing him to pick up a sword on her behalf, but it looks like this was a convenient get out of jail free card. No walk, no trial, and she still comes out smelling like roses. And Cersei & Jamie have less power than ever over her husband.

As an aside, has anyone thought about the line of succession if Tommen were to eat it? There's not exactly a lot of Baratheon cousins running around. Wouldn't it plunge the realm back into civil war?
Gendry better turn his ship around so he can make his (paper thin) claim. If he starts to come back now we might just see him by the series finale.

I don't understand Arya's character arc at all. She seems to have traveled a long way to learn very little and make very few decisions which mattered, and in the end she will find herself back in Westeros with the same weapon she left it with, and not a whole lot of worthwhile training. She isn't even going to be a Faceless Man, so she'll still be acting on her own agenda, which isn't any different from the point she left the Hound to die. Really weird waste of time.

She can now whack some people with a staff I guess.

Neifirst

As an aside, has anyone thought about the line of succession if Tommen were to eat it? There's not exactly a lot of Baratheon cousins running around. Wouldn't it plunge the realm back into civil war?

I assumed Margaery & House Tyrell would take over upon Tommen's death since she's already queen and there are no other male heirs to Robert left.

Severance

I really think Jaqen is testing the Waif as much as he is Arya, and he is intentionally creating a showdown between the two. I think he knew Arya would spare Lady Crane. He would be very aware of the play she was performing in. I doubt the Faceless Men care for the jealousy of an actress, and they took on the situation for their own needs. As long as someone dies and a face is added to the wall.. it's all the same to the many-faced God. And it will be Arya or the Waif.

The Waif is no further along than Arya. She has superior combat skills, but that's not very important to the Faceless Men. She is very much consumed by desire as shown by her interactions with Arya. She is no better than Arya in that regard. Jaqen decides the two can't coexist and advance their training because of this. I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed the Waif was from Westoros as well.

Branduil

Interesting episode, for some odd reason everything happened in 2s and 3s? Sam comes back into frame to psych everyone out and then Arya does the same. Two reveals of characters almost no one remembers(who the hell was that kid Frey unveiled?) and the three eyed raven because why not. Numerous call backs to previous seasons. An episode where not much happened, but I wasn't bored. The most interesting part was Arya's story arc picking up after treading water for so long.

Also, is the white walker camp officially just waiting for John Snow to resolve the castle black business or what? I feel like they've just been hanging out scaring Bran every once in a while for like a year.

He's the incompetent nephew of the Blackfish who couldn't shoot an arrow onto a funeral boat.

Branduil

Also I highly recommend checking out the summary of the new chapter GRRM read at Balticon. It is absolutely nuts and makes the show version of
Euron Greyjoy
look like a joke LIKE A JOKE
Why is GRRM reading new chapters at cons instead of finishing the fucking book.

I assumed Margaery & House Tyrell would take over upon Tommen's death since she's already queen and there are no other male heirs to Robert left.

Succession doesn't work like that though. Until she has a child, the Tyrells are not part of the royal family. Robert's closest relation (ironically, Stannis) would be rightfully king, and in the event of his death, Shireen.

Failing that, any first cousins the Baratheon boys had would then move up in line.

Aurongel

I really think Jaqen is testing the Waif as much as he is Arya, and he is intentionally creating a showdown between the two. I think he knew Arya would spare Lady Crane. He would be very aware of the play she was performing in. I doubt the Faceless Men care for the jealousy of an actress, and they took on the situation for their own needs. As long as someone dies and a face is added to the wall.. it's all the same to the many-faced God. And it will be Arya or the Waif.

The Waif is no further along than Arya. She has superior combat skills, but that's not very important to the Faceless Men. She is very much consumed by desire as shown by her interactions with Arya. She is no better than Arya in that regard. Jaqen decides the two can't coexist and advance their training because of this. I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed the Waif was from Westoros as well.

That was my read as well, the Waif has been showing hints at personal conflict with Arya and hasn't been acting in the same tempered way that Jaqen is. Arya blowing out the candle at the end of the episode makes me think that she intends to fight the Waif in the dark because she can finally utilize her abilities she acquired while fighting blind. That would be a cool way to tie together everything she's done this season.

Gattsu25

Banned
Shit that was an exceptional episode. Jack Bender outdid last week's episode. Great character stuff, lots of storylines moving forward quickly, and really sharp direction. The Coldhands action at the start was really well shot. Loved the High Sparrow stuff too. The ending was cheesy as fuck, but... it worked. Even the dragon CG looked pretty decent!

Yeah, this is where I fall as well.

I especially enjoyed the Frey scene and the namedrop for the Brotherhood Without Banners.

So...Jaime and Brienne and Pod heading to the Riverlands. Brotherhood Without Banners name drop. Frey reintroduction. John resurrection. I'm not saying it's happening but it's happening.

On top of that, we get the awesome Jaime/Frey slap and the Jaime/Blackfish meeting.

DKehoe

Succession doesn't work like that though. Until she has a child, the Tyrells are not part of the royal family. Robert's closest relation (ironically, Stannis) would be rightfully king, and in the event of his death, Shireen.

Failing that, any first cousins the Baratheon boys had would then move up in line.

If I remember right someone figured out that Daenerys is either at the top of that line of succession or at least pretty high up on it because Robert's grandmother was a Targ.

I love the irony of it: All Stannis had to do was wait and eventually the whole thing would've collapsed and he'd be king by default.

But no, he had to act like an imbecile and hide his ambitions under the mask of "Duty."

Sorry, but I really, really don't understand the love Stannis gets. He's the worst kind of self-righteous, holier than thou (or rather, more dutiful than though) prick.

Faddy

Banned
I love the irony of it: All Stannis had to do was wait and eventually the whole thing would've collapsed and he'd be king by default.

But no, he had to act like an imbecile and hide his ambitions under the mask of "Duty."

Sorry, but I really, really don't understand the love Stannis gets. He's the worst kind of self-righteous, holier than thou (or rather, more dutiful than though) prick.

No because if Stannis did nothing then Renly and Robb would have smashed the Lannisters and Renly would be king and Stannis attainted for being a traitor or heretic.

McLovin

So Brahns vision had the mad king screaming burn them all, it kind of reminded me of Hodor, plus white walkers are weak to fire... This got me thinking there's a good chance that either Brahn or the three eyed raven were doing their thing to him.

Kweh

After seeing next weeks episode preview, it has to be the episode where LSH happens if its going to be in the show.

Tuck

Nice to see them return to plotlines they had previously skipped - Jamie and the blackfish at rievrrun, the iron islands (Even in its greatly simplified form), and they even hinted at the brotherhood without banners making a return. Shame that the dorne plotline was deviated so heavily from and ended up in the toilet.

Looks like Benjen is taking the role of coldhands - I think his reappearance in the book will be different.

Sam's story is moving at a snails pace. Get the man to Old Town already!

I sort of expected thats where they'd take Arya's story, but I'm not sure if its good or not. Sort of feels like a waste of a plotline.

I don't understand Arya's character arc at all. She seems to have traveled a long way to learn very little and make very few decisions which mattered, and in the end she will find herself back in Westeros with the same weapon she left it with, and not a whole lot of worthwhile training. She isn't even going to be a Faceless Man, so she'll still be acting on her own agenda, which isn't any different from the point she left the Hound to die. Really weird waste of time.

Agreed.

I'm gonna assume the same as the books. Just taking it's time and won't have as much impact because of that.

So far, its drastically different. By this time in the books, Jamie basically doesn't like Cersei anymore, and doesn't want to be around her. You see him becoming far closer to Brienne, and trying to make good on his vow to Catelyn.

None of that is in the show.

I think they're going in a different direction, and aren't planning on tearing him away from Cersei.

duckroll

I want to say LSH isn't going to happen and to tell people to stop being delusional... but this is the same season where they went backwards and brought back the Kingsmoot, brought back Coldhands, and brought back Jaime's Riverrun adventure. So... who knows at this point.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
XRSYYCt.gif
I laughed at how ridiculous he looked. So glad that happened.

Tuck

^Mace looked fucking stupid this episode. And sounded stupid too.

I want to say LSH isn't going to happen and to tell people to stop being delusional... but this is the same season where they went backwards and brought back the Kingsmoot, brought back Coldhands, and brought back Jaime's Riverrun adventure. So... who knows at this point.

Fingers crossed. LSH was my favorite twist in the books.

That said, Benjin =/= choldhands (AFAIK), so while the brotherhood is definitely coming back, they might just continue to use Beric instead of LSH.

But that'd be a shame.

Forkball

I like how Mace can't even ride a horse and has a guy steering it, and when he tells the Tyrell soldiers to stand down, it's only after Olenna gives him a sad nod. A disappointing day for the Master of Ships.

Carn82

HEY EVERYONE, I'M DAENERYS STRONG BORN. MOTHER OF THE DRAGONS. QUEEN OF THE ANDALS. etc. etc...

CROWD WORSHIPS HER

GENERIC TRIBAL/FANTASY MUSIC

REPEAT every two episodes.

That's Dany's storyline in the show in a nutshell.

haha, on point. I know that there is a pro and anti-Dany side; but a lot of her scenes have my eyes rolling out of their sockets. I'm still not sure if it's the acting, the storyline itself, the directing or a combination of both.

clemenx

Banned
Why is GRRM reading new chapters at cons instead of finishing the fucking book.

Because he's always done that? It's a freaking con. It's the perfect place to do something like this.

I would like him to lock and chain himself in a dungeon as much as anyone else but I see this criticism as pretty dumb. At this point is obivous he has his own pace, whatever it may be it's pretty lame to assume him going or appearing somewhere is going to affect it.

There seem to be too many pieces being moved into place for it not to be a thing at this point. It at least seems like we're in store for a lot of pointless meandering if not. Plus, I recall one of the character descriptions for a Riverlands bandit this season described someone
'numb to the horror he serves'
(Not sure whether casting stuff is considered a spoiler or not so I tagged it just in case). That really seems to echo Thoros's thoughts on serving under LSH in the books and I'm at a loss for what else would explain it.

Faddy

Banned
Cersei's pet. They can have him leave King's Landing, but so long as he's still slavishly in love with Cersei, there's really no path for his character.

Jaime sucks in Feast. He goes into a depression because Cersei had sex with another guy which made him question his own manhood because he lost his sword hard (read: dick). He is pouting and really insecure because Cersei needed some lovin'.

She was getting fulfilled by Jaime and Robert for the last 18 years, how is a woman like that supposed to go cold turkey. He was already sharing her with the king anyway so it is pathetic for him to take the news she was getting down while he was imprisoned for a year too hard.

Even Jaime was getting the sex sweats, starting to have fantasies about Brienne the Brute. Who he probably would have screwed if he could.

Azzanadra

Its so weird seeing the Riverlands plotline again, which had been abandoned like 3 season ago. This is one of the problems that just comes about with only 10 hours a season, and I think its quite jarring for show watchers to return to this part of the world.

I am interested to see how Edmure will play out in the show. In the books, the Freys threaten to hang him everyday outside of Riverun as a threat to the Blackfish,, but the Blackfish gives 0 fucks and the Freys don't have the gall to actually follow through. I remember it being a fairly hilarious passage to read.

mantidor

I don't hate Dany as much as everyone, but I would have prefered the dragon CGI budget for that scene to be spent in ghost, nymeria or poor summer :( it was kind of pointless.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

LSH isn't happening. People should stop being delusional.

I recently started the 4th book.

Sadly, it seems that Ill never be in a position now to read the book first before watching the show. I wish I had started earlier, but anywho...

Are you book lovers skipping out on this season and the next? Are you guys wanting to read the books first?

It seems like it's going to be impossible to finish the books before watching the show, so we all know will generally know the direction of the series end before ever reading the final books.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the next book will cover events in this season, right? I wanted to at least enjoy one book completely without knowing what happens :(

Massa

LSH isn't happening. People should stop being delusional.

Eh, I used to agree with that, but after this magical season I'm not so sure. In this episode Walder Frey sent the man who "used a knife to open his niece's throat" to the Riverlands... why would they bring that up for nothing. They clearly showed his face too, he will appear again and be captured by the BwB for sure.

Real Hero

I recently started the 4th book.

Sadly, it seems that Ill never be in a position now to read the book first before watching the show. I wish I had started earlier, but anywho...

Are you book lovers skipping out on this season and the next? Are you guys wanting to read the books first?

It seems like it's going to be impossible to finish the books before watching the show, so we all know will generally know the direction of the series end before ever reading the final books.

So, if I'm not mistaken, the next book will cover events in this season, right? I wanted to at least enjoy one book completely without knowing what happens :(

They are so different at this point that while major events will be spoiled it is still a completely different experience

duckroll

Eh, I used to agree with that, but after this magical season I'm not so sure. In this episode Walder Frey sent the man who "used a knife to open his niece's throat" to the Riverlands... why would they bring that up for nothing. They clearly showed his face too, he will appear again and be captured by the BwB for sure.

Well to be fair, he also sent the man who "used a knife to kill Robb Stark's child in his whore mother's belly" so are we finally getting the Talisa conspiracy revealed?! :p

Damerman

So...Jaime and Brienne and Pod heading to the Riverlands. Brotherhood Without Banners name drop. Frey reintroduction. John resurrection. I'm not saying it's happening but it's happening.

On top of that, we get the awesome Jaime/Frey slap and the Jaime/Blackfish meeting.
I said the same thing. Its gonna be weird, but it seems so likely.

F!ReW!Re

Episode was all over the place for me.

I really don't know if I like what's happening with Arya.
I mean it makes sense in context of the show I suppose but I really would've wanted her to stick with the whole assassin thing until they send her on missions abroad and shit and then finally she decides to fulfill some personal missions.

Abandoning an ancient assassins cult seems like a pretty bad idea, especially if you're not fully trained yet.. but whateffs.

Betty

Banned

I'm watching because I can't stand waiting for the next book.

And yes the next book will cover events in this season.

I hope Gendry never returns. We can just assume he got a job somewhere and lived an uneventful life; he could be the only character who gets out of the series (relatively) unhurt.

Tiktaalik

2. Mountain vs. Loras. High Sparrow may tell Loras this is the only way to atone, and is forced to fight the Mountain. This will probably tear the Tyrells and Lannisters apart as Cersei would probably have no qualms killing Loras if it would save her skin.

I hadn't thought of this but I think it works pretty well and would be a crazy interesting turn of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom