• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal engine 5,5 mega light tech demo

Senua

Gold Member
What’s the frame rate and resolution?
giphy.webp

Shin-Ra

When will third party UE4 and 5 games not have nasty asset pops during camera cuts?

Jusant, an otherwise smooth performing (with VRR at least) 60fps game that’s light on textures still has big visible pops after camera cuts in cutscenes.

I don't think people realise how amazing the textured area lights are, that's just incredible.
Alan Wake 2 has something similar, but it wasn't nearly as accurate and "real" as this solution.
In short it's how moving light sources (like a TV/monitor) in the real world would project and bounce of surfaces.
Honestly the most impressive part of the whole presentation for me, funny that they only spent like 2 seconds on it.

Elios83

Looks fantastic, but developers are taking too long to keep advantage of these features.
Is there a 4K source?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The fact that this is running on a PS5 is truly astounding. I was just bitching about how some devs have not matched the OG PS5 UE5 demo let alone the Matrix Awakens demo, and now they drop this.

I was laughed at for saying this a couple of years ago, but i think its time we all realize that everyone should adopt UE5 going forward.

I skimmed through, looks like a pretty huge upgrade. And wow, running on PS5??? The sooner all devs decide to go all in on Unreal the better. Special thank you to Unity for shitting on all of their customers and helping to pave the future for us.
I wouldn’t put too much stock in to it. That quality of level work in the demo is done by guys who have a lot of experience with PC development, the old school id software, the old school Valve Software, that skill isn’t taught anymore for level artists.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

The fact that this is running on a PS5 is truly astounding. I was just bitching about how some devs have not matched the OG PS5 UE5 demo let alone the Matrix Awakens demo, and now they drop this.

I was laughed at for saying this a couple of years ago, but i think its time we all realize that everyone should adopt UE5 going forward.
UE still has an obvious flaw dating back to the start of UE3 and Gears of War despite huge increases in memory and SSD streaming.

The Matrix playable demo ran at a horrible smeary low framerate and resolution despite being a tech demo with limited content and interactivity.

Everyone using the same tools and renderer means all games have the same issues and Epic has the same power and leverage over competing developers they hate Apple/Google having over them.

Last edited:

SolidQ

You'll get more remasters and you'll love it.
I'm personally not againts Remasters like from 90 to 2010(because need proper work on modern systems), but like Horizon/last of us etc, it's joke remasters

How many games did we get of that scale and fidelity?
I think devs need times for learning how optimize, their projects

SlimySnake

UE still has an obvious flaw dating back to the start of UE3 and Gears of War despite huge increases in memory and SSD streaming.

The Matrix playable demo ran at a horrible smeary low framerate and resolution despite being a tech demo with limited content and interactivity.

Everyone using the same tools and renderer means all games have the same issues and Epic has the same power and leverage over competing developers they hate Apple/Google having over them.
Nah it mostly ran at 1440p reconstructed to 4k using TSR and looked fine on consoles.

The framerate issues were only during driving and were related to CPU bottlenecks that were fixed in UE5.4. Alex saw gains of 50-80% while traversing. people forget that the engine was still in beta when the matrix awakens demo was released.

if other devs dont want Epic to have a monopoly, they can make their own engines. We have seen studios attempt at leveraging the mesh shaders and RT capabilities of these consoles and fail miserably in comparison. Git Gud. Nice try but time to give Epic some cash. They have earned it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I think most companies should. And even then, they can't focus enough to make games to look this good.

HogIsland

It looks great, and makes me want a new Uncharted

Weird choice to show emissive light casting off what are essentially TV screens in desert cave environment. I thought it was crazy bad pop-in at first.

SlimySnake

Probably 720p 30fps, TSR to reconstuct to 1440p
Nope. most UE5 games run at 1440p 30 fps using TSR to construct at 4k. Just like the original PS5 UE5 did. Some drop to 1296p during load but mostly average out at 1440p internal resolution in the 30 fps modes.

the drops to 720p are exclusive to 60 fps modes.

Black Myth
The quality mode is perhaps the most straightforward, with roughly 1440p internal resolutions (we measured 1224p to 1584p) upscaled to 4K with FSR 3.

Remnant 2
. Based on a limited range of samples though, quality mode on PS5 and Series X is ~1296p,

Robocop
I did notice that the quality mode runs at a 1440p internal resolution on PS5 though

Tekken 8 - 60 fps mode

. In reality, they often hang closer to 1440p or slightly above.

Vick

Gold Member
Looks good, very promising.
To be honest wasn't really impressed initially, until those shadows, realizing nothing's baked.

Mr.Phoenix

I expect that to happen soon, at least with 90%+ of the industry.

However, I really wish Epic focused on optimizing the engine as opposed to just adding new features. As it stands, the issue is that UE5 is too heavy. At this current rate, I expect it to really come into its own and garner mass adoption next-gen, not even this gen.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Very impressive. At some point it's going to be real time everything.

Vick

Gold Member
I don't think people realise how amazing the textured area lights are, that's just incredible.
Alan Wake 2 has something similar, but it wasn't nearly as accurate and "real" as this solution.
In short it's how moving light sources (like a TV/monitor) in the real world would project and bounce of surfaces.
Honestly the most impressive part of the whole presentation for me, funny that they only spent like 2 seconds on it.
Why is it that impressive, taking into account this was done almost ten years ago on 2013 hardware, and at 1080p native resolution and stable 30fps?

zA00ASR.gif

I am certainly glad this sort of stuff can now be easily implemented by everyone, but I found the engine being able to handle all those real-time lights with shadows on top considerably more impressive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom