• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn PC features and specs revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member
1f1eefd3b5ac80f7a942610edbdbe74d969f6c42.jpg

MinimumRecommendedHighUltra
PresetLowMediumHighVery High
AVG Performance720P @ 30 FPS1080P @ 60 FPS1440p @ 60FPS / 4K @ 30FPS4K @ 60FPS
ProcessorIntel Core i7 4790K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X (or similar processor with AVX support)Intel Core i5 8600 / AMD Ryzen 7 2700XIntel Core i5 8600 / AMD Ryzen 7 2700XIntel Core i7 11700K / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 / Radeon RX 470 (or equivalent card with minimum 6GB VRAM)NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 / AMD Radeon RX 6600XTNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 / AMD Radeon RX 6800XTNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti / AMD Radeon RX 6900XT
Memory8GB RAM16GB RAM16GB RAM16GB RAM
Storage70GB on SSD70GB on SSD70GB on NVMe70GB on NVMe
OSWindows 10, 11Windows 10, 11Windows 10, 11Windows 10, 11

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
what could possibly warrant the NVME suggestion in the higher settings? I have all of supermassive's games installed on an HDD and they all run perfectly fine.

The main reasons for an NVMe drive over an SSD (or an HDD... shudder) are:
  • Faster Load Times
    • NVMe drives offer noticeably higher data transfer rates compared to SATA SSDs or HDDs. This allows games to load levels, textures, and assets much faster, reducing the time spent on loading screens.
  • Smoother Texture Streaming
    • Most modern games use large, high-resolution textures. When a game streams these textures from storage, an NVMe drive can load them more quickly. This reduces instances of texture pop-in (when textures load late or appear blurry before becoming fully rendered, which I think everyone can agree is unseemly).
  • Reduced Stuttering
    • In large and/or open-world games, data often needs to be fetched from storage as you move between areas. NVMe drives can reduce stuttering or hitching caused by the game struggling to load assets on the fly from slower storage devices.
The texture streaming and reduced stuttering are huge benefits to people who want to play in higher resolutions and/or with higher framerates.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
the original still looks great and its 60 fps on ps5 and rather sharp i played it with my girlfriend it was 8€. this is not worth 70 sony. it still lokks really good for its age

You asked a question and I directly answered it. Don't waste my time.
You didn't answer shit, just some general stuff that isn't applicable to every game, as I also mentioned in my post is that every single one of their previous games runs perfectly fine on even an HDD, there's no stuttering, there's no texture streaming problems, there's no pop-in or whatever else was in your nonsense post; these games are slow and in small areas, so unless you can answer why this game suddenly warrants a NVME suggestion, take your own advice and don't waste my time.

Orangee

Neo Member
  • Faster Load Times
    • NVMe drives offer noticeably higher data transfer rates compared to SATA SSDs or HDDs. This allows games to load levels, textures, and assets much faster, reducing the time spent on loading screens.
    • Most modern games use large, high-resolution textures. When a game streams these textures from storage, an NVMe drive can load them more quickly. This reduces instances of texture pop-in (when textures load late or appear blurry before becoming fully rendered, which I think everyone can agree is unseemly).
  • Reduced Stuttering
    • In large and/or open-world games, data often needs to be fetched from storage as you move between areas. NVMe drives can reduce stuttering or hitching caused by the game struggling to load assets on the fly from slower storage devices.
The texture streaming and reduced stuttering are huge benefits to people who want to play in higher resolutions and/or with higher framerates.
Chatgpt

IFireflyl

Gold Member

Or, and I know this will sound crazy, I am knowledgeable regarding gaming hardware and tech as I have picked up information during my three decades of gaming.
  • Faster Load Times
    • If you have ever compared NVMe to SATA SSDs or HDDs (again, shudder), you know the difference in load times is huge. This is backed up by a plethora of benchmarks, and it is also covered in video reviews showing gaming benchmarks. My load times in Skyrim with an NVME drive are almost non-existent.
    • Most modern games that use large, high-res textures (such as Cyberpunk 2077, Call of Duty, modded Skyrim, et cetera) really push storage speeds. That is why having an NVMe drive helps with texture pop-in. Most PC gamers who have been gaming for a decade or more have seen firsthand how bad this can be when playing on slower drives. Faster drives handle the data better than slower drives. This is common sense.
  • Reduced Stuttering
    • In large open-world games (for example, Elden Ring or The Witcher III) where you are constantly loading new assets, NVMe helps smooth out those annoying stutters. Sites like Digital Foundry have done breakdowns on this, and I have seen the difference when going from an SSD to NVMe (let alone going from an HDD to NVMe).
None of this information required a chatbot to craft, nor was the verbiage high-level technical jargon that the "common folk" is unable to decipher. I was asked a question (although it is obvious, now, that the one asking the question was a troll), and I supplied a clear, factual answer. Articulating clearly is not a sign of A.I. It is a sign of adulthood.

Last edited:
  • Faster Load Times
  • Reduced Stuttering

I'm considering to get a NVME in near future, thanks.
However, I do think that the devs MAYBE tried to optimize the game even more for NVME over SSD, hence the requirement?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'm considering to get a NVME in near future, thanks.
However, I do think that the devs MAYBE tried to optimize the game even more for NVME over SSD, hence the requirement?

I am not able to speak to how developers choose to optimize their games. Developers do not care that you are using an HDD, or an SSD, or an NVMe. However, developers do care about game performance. NVMe drives can load assets nearly instantly. This makes it possible for developers to build games that continuously stream massive amounts of data without any interruptions. SSDs, while still a great storage medium, are a limiting factor. Most SSDs in consumer systems are SATA SSDs. The maximum theoretical data transfer speed for SATA SSDs is around 600 MB/s. The NVMe protocol was specifically designed for flash storage. This allows for vastly improved communication between the storage drive and the system’s CPU. PCIe 3.0 can achieve speeds of up to 3,500 MB/s, while PCIe 4.0 (common in newer NVMe drives, such as the Samsung 990 Pro drives that I use) can reach 7,000 MB/s or more.

To put that in perspective, PCIe 3.0, which is rapidly being replaced by newer PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 5.0 systems and drives, is almost six times faster than the theoretical maximum of a top-tier SATA SSD. In terms of game development, NVMe drives provide a significant advantage in reducing load times and ensuring smooth asset streaming during gameplay. This speed allows developers to push the boundaries of what is possible, creating larger, more detailed open worlds with fewer loading screens and interruptions. Games that rely heavily on streaming assets (such as textures, environments, and sound) benefit immensely from NVMe drives because the data can be accessed and loaded much faster than with traditional SSDs or HDDs.

Again, I stress that SSDs are still a great storage medium. I have two SATA SSDs in my system right now. The issue is that SATA SSDs are a bottleneck when it comes to larger games utilizing a greater number of resources. You will never be able to "optimize" these larger games so that their performance with an SSD will be at the same level as an NVMe drive. You either have to limit the game's performance to the lowest common denominator (e.g. tailor a game to an HDD regardless of whether the drive used is HDD, SSD, or NVMe - or tailor a game to an SSD regardless of whether the drive being used is an SSD or an NVMe), or you have to do what has been done here: have different performances based on the different storage medium being used. With the former, someone with an NVMe drive is going to be upset that the game is not utilizing their hardware. With the latter, you get threads like this with people baffled as to why an NVMe drive is now recommended for high settings.

Last edited:

buenoblue

You didn't answer shit, just some general stuff that isn't applicable to every game, as I also mentioned in my post is that every single one of their previous games runs perfectly fine on even an HDD, there's no stuttering, there's no texture streaming problems, there's no pop-in or whatever else was in your nonsense post; these games are slow and in small areas, so unless you can answer why this game suddenly warrants a NVME suggestion, take your own advice and don't waste my time.
You really shouldn't be gaming from a mechanical HDD in this day and age. You can get a 500GB nvme/m.2 drive and a pice adapter (if you don't have support on MB) for less than £50 these days.

It's not all about load times. Stutter will be less and fps will increase

You really shouldn't be gaming from a mechanical HDD in this day and age. You can get a 500GB nvme/m.2 drive and a pice adapter (if you don't have support on MB) for less than £50 these days.

It's not all about load times. Stutter will be less and fps will increase
This post is almost as stupid as the first person that replied to me

simpatico

Gold Member
Couldn't an intrepid YouTuber make a choose your own adventure link nest on YouTube with this game? I guess it would get tricky by the end depending how branchy it gets. I just don't see the need for a 10 button controller or a gaming mouse with this one.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Plus this is an old ass game at it’s core. I would bet it runs just fine on an HDD.

Top Bottom