• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

upgrading/replacing xbox cd drive?

Joe

is there a list of what drives i can use to replace my thomson (which is either dead or almost there)?

also, is it an easy installation? im hoping you just swap and thats it.

Burger

Well the drive uses a different power connector, and spins the oposite way to a normal PC drive, so those are your first problems.

hanzo

Banned
Try to buy a new 2004 Thompson Drive from ebay. I put one in, and works flawlessly, no disc read errors. Cost only $30. U need special bits to open the xbox though.

aerofx

Yeah try to get the stuff from Ebay. If your drive motor is out get the kit, if you're getting dirty disc errors then just replace the lens. It's about 12 for lens and 18 or so for the kit.

im glad this was brought up. i have a feeling my thompson is going to crap out on november 8th.

so if you replace it with an identical drive, you dont have to solder or anything?

www.xbox-scene.com

Check out the tutorials section there...

And if giving link to that site is against TOS...please feel free to edit post. But to my understanding there arent any illegal software, only instructions, tutorials etc.

Top Bottom