• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF be ready for gas prices to spike this week due to hurricane Harvey

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
CNBC

Royal Dutch Shell said on Sunday that it was shutting down its Deer Park Refinery, with a capacity of 340,000 barrels per day.

CNBC can also confirm that Exxon Mobil's Baytown, Texas, plant (560,000 b/d) is shut down.

Overall, expect more than 1 million barrels per day offline just from the Houston/Galveston area.

The BSEE says that almost 22 percent of current oil production from the Gulf of Mexico has been shut-in.

Ron Mexico

There was a Bloomberg analyst on the radio this morning on my way to work that expected a $0.10-$0.12 increase lasting about a week and most of those increases were already priced in due to the original forecasts in Corpus Christi.

My guess is a slightly larger increase for a slightly longer time period but nothing over the top.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
We'll probably have spotty shortages in Central Texas as remote refineries resupply what the TX coast provided. I fully expect $4 for regular by next weekend.

SUPARSTARX

Didn't get to see if any surges were in NYC but it shouldn't be too bad right? I filled most of mine last week on regular for $2.90/gal I think?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think flooding has been worse than expected to a degree.

Key will be how long it takes to get things back up and running. What's shutdown is down. What's not probably already weathered the storm.

Had long bad shortages in Atlanta a few years back, can't remember which particular event caused it. Filled up my car while I was at the gas station anyway.

Should be good for a couple weeks at least.

RPGCrazied

I'm already seeing it in north Texas. It was $1.99 a gallon before all this happened, now its $2.15. Its going up, lets hope it doesn't reach $4 again.

taybul

Sure, when there's an natural disaster like this occur prices go up immediately, but when oil prices drop prices remain the same due to "existing supply". Fucking economy.

NeOak

Inb4 lots of people like

"Why does the refinery has to shut down?"

"Just an excuse to create scarcity"

"Build them in different places that don't get hurricanes"

"It is just an excuse to raise prices"

from the other thread.

I'm driving about 12 hours this coming weekend for a vacation meet up with family. So I'll just have to eat the extra cost, oh well...

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Come join us in the rest of the world where fuel is frightfully expensive.

In the UK we are at around the equivalent of $5.60 per gallon.

Top Bottom