• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Retail Musings November 2013 |OT| Console Releases / Black Friday Edition

This thread is for discussing your retail experiences for this month. Notable events are:

11/15: PS4 release
11/22: Xbone release
11/28: Black Friday

Do post:

1. Your experiences at stores
2. How much stock / sell-through of consoles (or games) do you see
3. Pictures

I may go out later and update the OP if I can find some midnight launch stores.

efeman

Banned
Lot of stores opening 6 pm Thanksgiving Day

Which is silly. I don't celebrate thanksgiving, but I find it fascinating that consumerism is so strong that people will end the family time early (or even completely avoid it, since you have to line up so damn early for the "best deals") to go buy stuff. I'd say just push it to a reasonable morning open time like 8am, but then people line up from midnight on, instead of like 8pm or whatever to midnight.

I went out to a few stores this morning.

Target: Got there at 10am, the store opens at 8am. There was a PS4 demo station, but I didn't see any games. Turns out they had about 60 PS4s this morning, but they were all gone by the time I got there. I saw a few people walking around the video games section asking about the PS4.

Best Buy: They did a midnight launch and had about 80 that were not preordered, which were all sold out. Then they found about 15 more this morning, but there were apparently people in line who claimed all of them. I got a picture of the PS4 section:

gQstJlY.jpg

All the PS4 games were gone. Every single one.

Accessories were mostly gone too, except a few DS4s.

Gamestop: There was a huge display wall of PS4 titles, but they were just empty display boxes. It took up about as much space as the PS3 section:

The actual PS4 games were stashed in the back. Pretty much everything was in stock:

The PS4 itself, of course, was sold out. It was really busy for a Friday morning so I didn't ask the workers about their allocations. One guy was standing in line and asked for a PS4 - turns out someone returned one earlier so he was able to get one just by walking in. He also picked up Killzone Shadowfall, COD: Ghosts, and the Gamestop employee talked him into a one-year PSN+ membership too.

That's it for now. I may hit up some more stores later this week and see how things are going.

Mrbob

Picked up my pre order from target at opening and they were crazy busy. All systems sold out either by pre order or a ticket system. Still had people showing up looking for systems as I was leaving.

Top Bottom