• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Sega Sales August 2004 (LTD)

AniHawk

Code:
[b]Nintendo Gamecube[/b]           |  [b]Total[/b]  |
----------------------------+---------+
SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE    | 917,877 |
SONIC MEGA COLLECTION       | 566,438 |
SUPER MONKEY BALL           | 521,505|
SONIC HEROES                | 424,990 |
SUPER MONKEY BALL 2         | 359,347 |
SONIC ADVENTURE DX          | 358,462 |
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE I & II | 188,838 |
BILLY HATCHER               | 145,777 |
NFL 2K3                     | 137,412 |
SKIES OF ARCADIA LEGENDS    | 116,376 |
NBA 2K3                     | 100,385 |
NBA 2K2                     |  81,026 |
HOME RUN KING               |  68,701 |
BEACH SPIKERS               |  65,095 |
SOCCER SLAM                 |  43,935 |
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE III    |  31,223 |
NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3           |  28,826 |
VIRTUA STRIKER 2002         |   9,806 |
NHL 2K3                     |   9,079 |
SAMURAI JACK                |   7,404 |
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3         |   5,897 |
PUYO POP FEVER              |   1,574 |
AMAZING ISLAND              |   1,460 |
[b]Microsoft Xbox[/b]              |  [b]Total[/b]  | 
NFL 2K3                     | 289,799 |
ESPN NFL FOOTBALL           | 197,914 |
NBA 2K3                     | 183,312 |
HOUSE OF THE DEAD III       | 153,475 |
ESPN NBA BASKETBALL         | 146,983 |
WORLD SERIES BASEBALL       | 133,588 |
PANZER DRAGOON ORTA         | 125,813 |
NBA 2K2                     | 117,857 |
SONIC HEROES                | 116,263 |
CRAZY TAXI 3                | 104,428 |
NFL 2K2                     | 102,015 |
NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3           | 100,894 |
JET SET RADIO FUTURE        |  99,068 |
GUNVALKYRIE                 |  94,375 |
SEGA GT 2002                |  86,452 |
WORLD SERIES BASEBALL 2K3   |  86,293 |
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3         |  82,978 |
TOEJAM & EARL III           |  66,347 |
NHL 2K3                     |  65,547 |
ESPN MLB BASEBALL           |  63,349 |
ESPN NHL HOCKEY             |  61,138 |
OTOGI: MYTH OF DEMONS       |  55,791 |
ESPN COLLEGE HOOPS          |  53,698 |
SEGA GT ONLINE              |  40,603 |
SOCCER SLAM                 |  30,335 | 
[b]Sony Playstation 2[/b]          |  [b]Total[/b]  |
NFL 2K3                     | 799,297 |
VIRTUA FIGHTER 4            | 621,819 |
NBA 2K2                     | 466,229 |
NBA 2K3                     | 403,924 |
NFL 2K2                     | 359,079 |
SHINOBI                     | 279,966 |
SONIC HEROES                | 260,924 |
ESPN NFL FOOTBALL           | 211,981 |
ESPN NBA BASKETBALL         | 198,249 |
VIRTUA FIGHTER 4 EVO        | 195,655 |
NCAA FOOTBALL 2K3           | 173,115 |
WORLD SERIES BASEBALL2K3    |  93,690 |
NCAA BASKETBALL 2K3         |  92,730 |
TENNIS 2K2                  |  88,775 |
ESPN NHL HOCKEY             |  85,291 |
NHL 2K3                     |  81,747 |
GUNGRAVE                    |  75,602 |
BASS FISHING DUEL           |  59,263 |
ESPN COLLEGE HOOPS          |  56,995 |
ESPN MLB BASEBALL           |  49,717 |
SOCCER SLAM                 |  45,772 |
NIGHTSHADE                  |  29,725 |
AERO ELITE: COMBAT          |  28,111 |
REZ                         |  20,906 |
KING OF ROUTE 66            |  20,653 |
FERRARI F355 CHALLENGE      |  19,524 |
SAMURAI JACK                |  15,632 |
VIRTUAL-ON MARZ             |  12,961 |
ASTRO BOY                   |   2,881 |
----------------------------+---------+--------+
[b]Top 10 [All-Formats][/b]        |  [b]Total[/b]  | [b]Format[/b] |
----------------------------+---------+--------+
10 NFL 2K2                  | 359,079 |   PS2  |
9 SUPER MONKEY BALL 2       | 359,347 |   NGC  | 
8 NBA 2K3                   | 403,924 |   PS2  |
7 SONIC HEROES              | 424,990 |   NGC  |
6 NBA 2K2                   | 466,229 |   PS2  |
5 SUPER MONKEY BALL         | 521,505 |   NGC  |
4 SONIC MEGA COLLECTION     | 566,438 |   NGC  |
3 VIRTUA FIGHTER 4          | 621,819 |   PS2  |
2 NFL 2K3                   | 799,297 |   PS2  |
1 SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE  | 917,877 |   NGC  |

Nothing much to note here this month. SoAL has outsold TWW for its second month in a row, and SoAL and HotD III have both enjoyed about 40,000 extra in sales in the past few months. Astro Boy, Puyo Pop Fever, and Amazing Island all bomb, but besides a few games, it's pretty much low sales on all platforms. The only thing in the top ten which changed was SMB 2 moved up a spot, and NFL 2K2 for the PS2 moved to #10. Next month, the top 10 will be Gamecube-dominant, as SADX will replace NFL 2K2 for that last spot.

bheemer

damn that sucks im with you link. its like sega is cursed. they give away their best stuff.

that game is going on to sell 2 million.

Cimarron

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE I & II | 188,838

this makes baby jesus cry. :(

what were the xbox edition numbers.

I also refuse to believe that psoIII sold that amount!

jarrod

Banned
Link316 said:
kinda ironic that Sega gave away what would've become their #1 seller, NFL 2K5
They gave away Sonic Advance first. Sega could've had 4 3rd party million sellers under their belt, now they've got one. :/

Cimarron said:

Get ready to cry some more...

XBX PHANTASY STAR I & II 67,935

GhaleonEB

TheGreenGiant said:
why? Its girlie, its beach wally ball. Personally, didn't pick it up for those reasons.

Because it's fun?

I don't like tennis in the least, but Virtua Tennis on the DC was simply an incredibly fun game.

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Cimarron said:

Why? When Sonic Team decided to go with a card-based battle system over the routine adventure battle system in PSO III, of course you're going to lose fans since not everyone digs collecting cards and such. Add the fact the whole PSO community as a whole as totally waned over the years, then you can see why PSO III's sales are totally lackluster.

Fans are demanding a full-fledged, stand-alone Phantasy Star V. And Sonic Team isn't delivering. Oh well.

There is much weakness with Sega of America's distribution. Not sure what's going on, but that organization is in some serious trouble. No doubt if THQ or Take 2 was distributing all of Sega's games, sales would be triple on average over what SOA is doing. Wouldn't surprise me if Sega goes that route because SOA is not getting it done whatsoever. Same thing happens in Japan with Square distributing EA's games there, and vice versa in America. The small percentage that Sega loses will be gained by much better sales. Ofcourse if that happened, Anihawk would have nothing to list.

Alex

I didn't think Beach Spikers was that great. The AI was terrible, thus ruining the campaign, and the versus just didn't have that VT spark to me.

efralope said:
That's a Take-Two game, not SEGA (Sega owns the company that made the game though)

Sega and TakeTwo are partners. Sega does get some of the money. The main thing Take two does, is distribute the game for Sega. It even has Sega on the box. The reason Ani hawk doesn't list the game, is becuase the media uses Take two as the publisher becase they distribute the game. So it is a Sega game. Don't try to make it out like Sega has nothing to do with ESPN: nfl2k5

jarrod

Banned
BlackClouds said:
You are correct sir. Ok, how about Capcom distributing GTA:VC in Japan....is it a Capcom game?
It's certianly a Capcom release (in Japan).

sonic4ever said:
Sega and TakeTwo are partners. Sega does get some of the money. The main thing Take two does, is distribute the game for Sega. It even has Sega on the box. The reason Ani hawk doesn't list the game, is becuase the media uses Take two as the publisher becase they distribute the game. So it is a Sega game. Don't try to make it out like Sega has nothing to do with ESPN: nfl2k5
Unfortunately Take 2 isn't just the distributor... they're covering various other promotion/advertising costs and have a buyout option for ESPN/Visual Concepts written into the contract... soon Sega probably won't be involved at all.

BlackClouds said:
There is much weakness with Sega of America's distribution. Not sure what's going on, but that organization is in some serious trouble. No doubt if THQ or Take 2 was distributing all of Sega's games, sales would be triple on average over what SOA is doing. Wouldn't surprise me if Sega goes that route because SOA is not getting it done whatsoever. Same thing happens in Japan with Square distributing EA's games there, and vice versa in America. The small percentage that Sega loses will be gained by much better sales. Ofcourse if that happened, Anihawk would have nothing to list.

I can see this happening next generation, and Sega of Japan dumping Sega of America. Then Sega of Japan would basicly make a deal with a company like THQ or Take Two to publish and distribute the Sega games in America. This almost happend In Europe, but then Sega of Europe took back the properties form Interplay. I think..that is what happened after the Dreamcast in Europe. I know the company Big Ben took over the Dreamcast distribution

jarrod said:
Unfortunately Take 2 isn't just the distributor... they're covering various other promotion/advertising costs and have a buyout option for ESPN/Visual Concepts written into the contract... soon Sega probably won't be involved at all.

I thought Sega was helping some with the advertising. One question, has thier been any tv ads? All the ads I have seen are magazine ads. It is amazing how just changing distributors helps a Sega game.

I thought Sega was helping some with the advertising. One question, has thier been any tv ads? All the ads I have seen are magazine ads. It is amazing how just changing distributors helps a Sega game.

The fewer decisions Sega has to make on their own, the more it helps a Sega game :p.

And yeah, there were TV ads with Terrel Owens.

You are correct sir. Ok, how about Capcom distributing GTA:VC in Japan....is it a Capcom game?

Well if you were compiling a list of Capcom's sales in Japan, I would definitely put it on there.

Alcibiades

It was my understanding from reading the info and interviews, that Sega owns Visual Concepts and funded development but with some help from Take-Two, and that the marketing was headed by Take-Two, and that the SEGA name was just a formality and it would in 2 years no longer be part of the SEGA brand.

I hope not, in fact I hope SEGA keeps their franchise and Visual Concepts, but Sammy being involved is pretty worrying...

I've never even heard of this Amazing Island game. And bahaha at the Astro Boy numbers, even if it's just a couple days worth of sales. Silly Sega for thinking anyone would buy it in the states. They paid (surely) either GMR or Game Informer, I forget which mag it was, to have it as a cover story.

*pretty impressed with Sonic Heroes sales*

jarrod

Banned
Ancient (Yuzo Koshiro's game dev group of Actraiser, Streets of Rage, Beyond Oasis fame) made Amazing Island. I wish they'd do another Oasis game. :/

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I played Amazing Island for a while at E3. It was sorta like Mario PArty, only not as good. It wasn't bad by any means. Just sorta forgettable.

jarrod said:
Ancient (Yuzo Koshiro's game dev group of Actraiser, Streets of Rage, Beyond Oasis fame) made Amazing Island. I wish they'd do another Oasis game. :/

THANK YOU!!! I AGREE!! I think Beyond of Oasis would have sold alot more then Amazing Island. that was a wonderfull game and that game fits both the Gamecube and PS2 fan base. I mean who doesn't love action RPGs!! I would like to see Beyond Oasis in 3d with Zelda: wind waker cell shaded graphics. Ancient and Sega making Amazing Island was just dumb. I love Sega games, but even I wouldn't buy that game.

Cimarron said:

That reminds me, Sega shipped PSO Ep 1 and 2 Plus yesterday...Gotta pick that up today. The PSO games are still the best online games this gen. Sega really needs to consider releasing Blue Burst on consoles. Especially with the new Episode 4 addition to it.

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
And Sammy's response will be Sonic Heroes 2 for Xbox, PS2 and PC.

::sigh:: I hate Sammy.

Sammy would never do that. That is, unless the Sega curse rubs off on them.

The PSO games are still the best online games this gen. Sega really needs to consider releasing Blue Burst on consoles. Especially with the new Episode 4 addition to it.

What IS Blue Burst? I want to pick up Plus anyhow since it's $30 and has the good stuff from PSO for "free."

Oh, and here's a list of Sega developed games which I don't post here for future reference:

F-Zero GX (published by Nintendo)
Shenmue II (published by MS)
Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II Xbox (published by MS)
The ESPN 2K5 line, and any future series published by a company other than Sega
Almost all of the GBA line except for three games (why bother. :p)

Alcibiades

AniHawk said:
Sammy would never do that. That is, unless the Sega curse rubs off on them.

What IS Blue Burst? I want to pick up Plus anyhow since it's $30 and has the good stuff from PSO for "free."

Oh, and here's a list of Sega developed games which I don't post here for future reference:

F-Zero GX (published by Nintendo)
Shenmue II (published by MS)
Phantasy Star Online Episodes I & II Xbox (published by MS)
The ESPN 2K5 line, and any future series published by a company other than Sega
Almost all of the GBA line except for three games (why bother. :p)
keep track of Astro Boy GBA, retailers were late in getting copies in (probably hadn't ordered them or something, that or SEGA's GBA distribution isn't too good).

Also, word-of-mouth and reviews might help the game, people were having trouble finding the game because it wasn't available or stores got only 1 or 2 copies in (I know I've seen plenty of copies recently at Wal-Mart and Best Buy, but they weren't available the first week, at least not the Best Buy I worked at).

I bet the game can do some good, especially with the giant month GBA is about to have.

Blue Burst is the PC version of PC Ep 1 and 2. It's got some significant additions though, mainly a new location (which will be Ep4), new weapons, new enemies ect. I want a console release of it. Sega should release it as a GH version of PSO like Sega did with VF4 Evo.

ep4.jpg

AniHawk

SolidSnakex said:
Blue Burst is the PC version of PC Ep 1 and 2. It's got some significant additions though, mainly a new location (which will be Ep4), new weapons, new enemies ect. I want a console release of it. Sega should release it as a GH version of PSO like Sega did with VF4 Evo.

ep4.jpg

Cool.. I wonder why Sega never released a PS2 version of the game. PSO WW for all versions has sold over 1 million copies, and it hasn't even been released on the most popular system this gen.

At this point I don't think it would make much sense to put PSO on the PS2. The fanbase has dwindled, and it's been available for the two competing systems for quite a while now. Plus there is no cross-platform support.

Seems like Naka was just stubborn in his dislike for the PS2, which is why PSO didn't go there initially. Too bad, because someone will eventually make a load of money with a persistent online action-RPG on consoles.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
AniHawk said:
Cool.. I wonder why Sega never released a PS2 version of the game. PSO WW for all versions has sold over 1 million copies, and it hasn't even been released on the most popular system this gen.

One of the top mysteries of this gen...

AniHawk said:
Cool.. I wonder why Sega never released a PS2 version of the game.

I think Naka is just sticking to his "the PS2 can do PSO" comment he made when the PS2 was coming out. A PS2/GC release of PSO would've worked well since both sets of system owners could play the game with each other.

AniHawk

SolidSnakex said:
I think Naka is just sticking to his "the PS2 can't do PSO" comment he made when the PS2 was coming out. A PS2/GC release of PSO would've worked well since both sets of system owners could play the game with each other.

He doesn't get to make those decisions though, does he? Someone at Sammy could force a small team to port it to the PS2. With PSU coming up, the most exposure to PS games would be best.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Actually could you post the GBA numbers, I'm curious to how well Phantasy Star Collection sold...

AniHawk

Gamecube:
Titles: 23
Cumulative Sales: 4,191,433
Average: 182,236

PlayStation 2:
Titles: 29
Cumulative Sales: 4,850,253
Average: 167,250

Xbox
Titles: 25
Cumulative Sales: 2,658,315
Average: 106,333

Total:
Titles: 77
PS2: 37.7%
Xbox: 32.5%
GC: 29.8%
Cumulative Sales: 11,641,001
PS2: 41.7%
GC: 36%
Xbox: 22.3%
Average: 151,182

This is kinda interesting. February 2003, I think the cumulative sales were something like 1.6 million (GC), 1.1 million (Xbox), and 3.1 million (PS2).

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
Sega still seems insistent on reducing GameCube support. How sad. =/

Well they announced another GC game today...

Here's last month's numbers:

GC: 4,073,864 | 35.4%
PS2: 4,810,355 | 41.8%
Xbox: 2,629,964 | 22.8%
TOTAL: 11,514,183

August only sales:

GC: 117,569
PS2: 38,898
Xbox: 28,351

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
I believe Meier or jarrod have GBA totals.
I have GBA totals (Sega, THQ and Atlus published Sega releases) from April 2004 actually if anyone wants them. Bunkum will probably give out numbers for May-Ausgust too if anyone wants to keep track from here on out...

Top Bottom