• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USAF F35: This weeks problem? Software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
http://www.janes.com/article/58561/f-35-mission-software-stability-poses-greatest-risk-to-usaf-ioc

F-35 mission software stability poses greatest risk to USAF IOC

"

A software glitch that interferes with the F-35 radar's ability to remain working in flight poses the greatest threat to meeting the USAF's IOC schedule

Major General Jeffrey Harrigian, director of the air force's F-35 integration office at the Pentagon, described the problem as "radar stability - the radar's ability to stay up and running" using the 3i software that the air force intends to use when it declares initial operational capability (IOC) for its fleet sometime between 1 August and 31 December.

"What would happen is they'd get a signal that says either a radar degrade or a radar fail -something that would force us to restart the radar," Maj Gen Harrigian said in further describing the issue.

"

Keep throwing money at me if old..

sarcastor

From Wikipedia: By 2014, the program was "$163 billion over budget and seven years behind schedule"

Government spending at its finest.

Imm0rt4l

Just cut a few million from social welfare programs and education.
I was gonna make a snarky remark in this vain, you beat me to the punch.

1.5 trillion dollars brehs

But using that money to actually help americans? Nah. Peeps who are so adamantly against welfare of their fellow man or affordable education are ghost when it comes to shit like this for some odd reason.

Madness

The F22 Raptor program cost hundreds of billions of dollars to create a fleet that has been grounded several times and barely saw any action in conflicts. Plagued by several problems. It's not surprising the F35 program has similar issues. When there is no accountability and a blank check is given in the name of patriotism and defense, they have no reason to change.

Hardly any allies want the F35 JSF due to cost overruns and issues.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Also from Wikipedia:
"The 2015 DoD annual report stated that the current schedule to complete System Development and Demonstration (SDD) and enter IOT&E by August 2017 is unrealistic, instead the program will likely not finish Block 3F development and flight testing prior to January 2018. Based on these projected completion dates for Block 3F developmental testing, IOT&E would not start earlier than August 2018."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom