• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USB HD for new PS2?

Brofist

support that is, not a Sony release...didn't mean to mislead

Not gonna post a link, don't wanna get banded :) But here's the quote.

Update #6: Since I already let the cat out of the bag in THIS on-going Forum thread, the surprise I mentioned earlier in this post is this: A company we all know well has been developing a specific product allowing the use of a USB HDD on the PS2/PSTwo for running games using HD Advance and... the ETA for this exciting product is within 30-60 days! Those of you who were hesitant in purchasing a PSTwo due to the lack of native (internal) HDD support can now put your mind to ease- more to come on this exciting news soon!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
:O

Also, offtopic but does the new PSTwo prevent people from doing the 'memory card exploit'?

Miburou

Doesn't the PStwo use USB1.1? That would be pretty slow for a hard disk, wouldn't it? I guess it would still be faster than a DVD, though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Gah. I had my ext. hdd (very temporarily) piped through my usb1.1, before I could get my firewire adaptor working.

No freaking-fanks!

Miburou

My old PC had only USB 1.1 support, and while transferring big files to and from an external harddisk was a pain in the ass, playing movies off the hard disk was fine, so I guess this might work.

EDIT: except as demonstrated by the post below, there wouldn't be any point.

garrickk

Just crap from memory:

I think full-speed USB 1.1 is 12Mb/s, which is 1.5MB/s or 1538KB/s.
Full-speed USB 2 is 480Mb/s.

DVD 1x is around 1380KB/s, and I thought the PS2 was a 4x DVD read drive, so max read speed off a DVD disc is roughly 5520KB/s, much faster then the best USB 1.1 is capable of.

Basically, USB 1.1 would SUCK for a HD. Period.

Brofist

yes I would normally cringe at the idea myself, but someone thinks it's possible

of course I would let people test this and sort it out first, but still interesting..

tenchir

garrickk said:
Just crap from memory:

I think full-speed USB 1.1 is 12Mb/s, which is 1.5MB/s or 1538KB/s.
Full-speed USB 2 is 480Mb/s.

DVD 1x is around 1380KB/s, and I thought the PS2 was a 4x DVD read drive, so max read speed off a DVD disc is roughly 5520KB/s, much faster then the best USB 1.1 is capable of.

Basically, USB 1.1 would SUCK for a HD. Period.

From memory. The PS2 is 2x(there weren't any 4x DVD drives 4-5 years ago), which is 2760 KB/s. You might think it's not enough but you have to keep in mind that it won't reach 2x until it starts reading the outer edge of the disc, the "2x" is the average speed, not constant speed. Still, i agree with you that USB1.1 would suck as a HD.

garrickk

tenchir said:
From memory. The PS2 is 2x(there weren't any 4x DVD drives 4-5 years ago), which is 2760 KB/s. You might think it's not enough but you have to keep in mind that it won't reach 2x until it starts reading the outer edge of the disc, the "2x" is the average speed, not constant speed. Still, i agree with you that USB1.1 would suck as a HD.

Small detail, but I checked a few PS2 faqs and they list it as a 4x DVD-ROM

I understand that the farther you travel on the radius of the disc, the faster the data speeds by even with constant angular velocity, etc. However, I thought that the 1380KB/s was the minimum speed attainable for DVD 1x. For instance, a 1x DVD burns at 1380KB/s - but it has to be able to do that to the inner portion of the disc as well as the outer. Just a hunch.

Plus, a DVD Video disc can have up to 9.8Mb/s of data coming off of it, even in the inner radius. So, from the beginning, a DVD system is suppossed to be able to handle, at minimum, at least 1380KB/s (a little headroom over 9.8Mb/s or 1254.4KB/s).

But, still doesn't change the prospect of USB 1.1 HD performance.

Rhindle

Even if this were to prove possible, what would the point be? Once you string together a PSTwo+external power adapter+external HDD enclosure+HDD power adapter, the whole contraption is going to be at least as bulky as a regular PS2, and a good deal messier.

Brofist

Gave this topic a bump now that we know now that the new PS2 is USB 2.0 compatible. Changes the complexion of this topic ehh :)

Brofist

ArcadeStickMonk said:
If they kept the IEEE1394 support in the new model, would that have been enough juice to power a HDD?

oh junk, I forgot about that. That's a bunch of models ago ehh. I think USB 2.0 is fast enough though.

Well, yeah it's fast enough, but I'm musing that since the PS2 once had IEEE1394 capability, it could have been used to power a hard drive, eliminating one extra power cable. But I'm uncertain if firewire can lend enough power to a hard drive.

Also, IEEE1394 rules so hard. Dropping it on the late model PS2s was retarded because they dropped link support for Time Crisis. And if you think, "yeah, but, like, only one guy ever played Time Crisis in link mode at home." I'm that guy!

Brofist

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Well, yeah it's fast enough, but I'm musing that since the PS2 once had IEEE1394 capability, it could have been used to power a hard drive, eliminating one extra power cable. But I'm uncertain if firewire can lend enough power to a hard drive.

Also, IEEE1394 rules so hard. Dropping it on the late model PS2s was retarded because they dropped link support for Time Crisis. And if you think, "yeah, but, like, only one guy ever played Time Crisis in link mode at home." I'm that guy!

haha that sux. Didn't some other games support that too (GT3?)

Yusaku

ArcadeStickMonk said:
If they kept the IEEE1394 support in the new model, would that have been enough juice to power a HDD?

The old PS2s had 4-pin firewire ports, which don't supply power.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
one thing is for certain, for sony to have bothered to included upgraded USB ports, they must be thinking of at least something to use it

Yusaku said:
The old PS2s had 4-pin firewire ports, which don't supply power.
But it still had the capability to house a 6-pin, if they wanted. All of this is moot because by the time my arguement becomes relevent to the new Playststion 2 model, IEEE1394 had long since been dropped. I'm just saying: it had it once, it wasn't a good idea to drop it, and they might have been able to use it now.

Vark

Not necessarily. It could just mean USB 2.0 parts are more common and therefore cheaper implement than USB 1.

Top Bottom