• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USDA study concludes neonics not driving bee deaths: Genetic Literacy Project Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
http://geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/03/23/usda-study-concludes-neonics-not-driving

Even as a special White House created task force is poised this week to address concerns over supposedly vanishing honeybees, new research suggests that the very premise of the federal investigation may be misplaced.

Last summer, President Obama asked the Environmental Protection Agency to investigate conflicting reports that pesticides, and in particular a class of chemicals known as neonicotinoids, were the probable cause of mysterious bee deaths and declining numbers of beehives.

The latest headline on farmers’ critical pollinator? The numbers of beehives are actually growing, continuing a multi-year improvement—gradually repairing the damage wrought by the 2006 mass bee die off in California known as Colony Collapse Disorder.

The Department of Agriculture announced late last week that honey production, which had been disrupted after CCD devastated the bee population nine years ago, continues to improve, up 14%. The total number of hives also increased again, by 100,000 or 4%, as it had increased the year before and the year before that.

Scientists now say that the Lu study, published in an obscure pay for play journal, proved only that feeding bees poisonous levels of an insecticide can and will kill them. University of Illinois Department of Entomology Chair May Berenbaum, who headed up the National Academy of Sciences 2007 National Research Council study on the Status of Pollinators in North America, has called Lu’s research “effectively worthless” to serious researchers.

Basically, it doesn't seem like

1. Bees are actually in trouble
2. Neonetics are doing anything special to bees

It'd still be worth knowing what caused the initial major collapse of colonies in 2006 though. So we can potentially prepare and/or prevent it in the future.

cirrhosis

I'm glad bee colonies are in increasingly better shape. Honey is awfully tasty. Tea wouldn't be the same without it.

Stet

Banned
It'd still be worth knowing what caused the initial major collapse of colonies in 2006 though. So we can potentially prepare and/or prevent it in the future.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was climate change.

And the study in the OP is incredibly interesting which won't help the fact that nobody that matters will believe it.

way more

I'm glad bee colonies are in increasingly better shape. Honey is awfully tasty. Tea wouldn't be the same without it.

Get a brain, moran.

bees-disappear.jpg

. . . That young man's name? Albert Einstein.

Cool, at least there's a positive trend happening. But I too want to know more about how CCD occurred around 2006, though I'm familiar with bee homing issues. The survival and growth of bee colonies somehow escapes people; I know jack-all regarding agriculture, but I'm scared at the long-term consequences of colony collapse and decreased pollination of crops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom