• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using PrimoCache to speed up a mechanical hard drive

I recently heard about PrimoCache from a LinusTechTips video, and it's a software that's supposed to store a large number of cached files on an SSD even while the games are installed on a traditional HDD. Well, I have most of my stuff installed on my 3 TB HDD and space left on my SSD where Windows is installed. So, I decided to download the trial and test it out by loading an AC Origins save game and timing it. I set up a 150 GB partition for the cache (though I don't think you need nearly that much) and these were my results:

PrimoCache paused
Run 1 - 1:50
Run 2 - 1:30
Run 3 - 1:27
PrimoCache on
Run 4 - 1:32
Run 5 - 1:11
Run 6 - 1:00
PrimoCache paused
Run 7 - 1:30
PrimoCache on
Run 8 - 0:47

Rather promising results so far. Though, the main benefit is supposed to be that the cache is saved even between Windows restarts etc which doesn't normally happen. I might test that out later on. Really, I'm just surprised that I haven't heard about this before. Anyone else using PrimoCache or something similar?

Also wondering whether I'm doing something wrong with my normal Windows cache? It's currently set to only cache on the SSD and system managed.

Keep in mind my SSD is a 2.5" Kingston A400 which is hardly the fastest drive around, and I know that it's limited by my motherboard too as I believe it only supports SATA2. So if your MB and SDD are fresher than mine I assume the results will also be improved.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Been using it for the past few months, bought it a while back.

Set aside 50GBs for cache, don't really need it as much now since I upgraded my SSD but it simplifies things for games I can't be bothered to copy over to the SSD and only play occasionally.

Only issue I've had if you get any hardlocks and need to turn computer on and off it will empty the cache.

Well you’ve opened my eyes, I’ll give it a shot, what video does he mention primocache in?
Here it is.

Been using it for the past few months, bought it a while back.

Set aside 50GBs for cache, don't really need it as much now since I upgraded my SSD but it simplifies things for games I can't be bothered to copy over to the SSD and only play occasionally.

Only issue I've had if you get any hardlocks and need to turn computer on and off it will empty the cache.
Oh, the cache is reset at each restart? Or just when the computer hard locks?

Last edited:
Yea I remember hearing about this, sounds crazy. Would have been a game changer if Microsoft or Sony had something like this in their console, I'd buy all my multiplats on that console.

jaysius

Banned
Just when you encounter a hardlock and have to force computer off or say for instance the power is cut all of a sudden.
But shutting down normally it will keep the data.
Are you getting more hardlocks now because of Primocache, or is your system a bit unstable anyway?

Top Bottom