• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles III: |OT| of Schools Out Forever, but I still can't do a Good OP

So have anyone imported the game (well downloaded it) and can they give there thoughts on the game. Also can someone who knows more about the game do a better OP. I'll paste it in and give full credit! Does anyone know when it's getting a US release?

I apologize for a worse OT OP then my First of the North Star Kens Rage one. I did clear it with a mod first though!

OP via Wikipedia

Valkyria_Chronicles_3.jpg

Developer(s) Media.Vision
Publisher(s) Sega
Producer(s) Shinji Motoyama
Composer(s) Hitoshi Sakimoto
Series Valkyria Chronicles
Engine Proprietary "CANVAS" engine
Platform(s) PlayStation Portable
Release date(s)
JP January 27, 2011[1]
Genre(s) Tactical role-playing game
Mode(s) Single-player
Media/distribution UMD, Download

Gameplay
Valkyria_3_Map.png

The map interface displaying general information and progress. Here the player is offered two routes by which to attack Imperial forces occupying a Gallian city.

The main menu interface of Valkyria Chronicles III is styled after a strategic map of the local area the player's forces are currently active in, changing in appearance to match the shifting overall situation between the Nameless and their enemies.[3] Points of interest are marked on the maps by pins of various colors and other symbols, indicating such things as the player's home base, the locations of currently selectable battles, and intermittent cutscenes. By achieving victory in missions and viewing events, the player advances through the game's story. At times the player may be presented with a choice between missions to complete or differing objectives to accomplish during battle. According to the choices the player makes in these situations, subsequent events are altered, ultimately leading to divergent game endings,[4] a first in the series.
In battle, the game retains the major elements of the BLiTZ System used in both previous titles of the series. The player is given an overview of the current situation via an overhead map during Command Mode. Within a mission, each map is but one among a collection of areas interconnected by enemy encampments that can be captured and used by the player. Across all available areas, the player may have up to nine units actively deployed at any time. By spending their Command Points during Command Mode, the player is able to order individual allied units to action, directly controlling them in a realistic 3D environment in Action Mode. While in Action Mode, said units can move, attack enemies, and perform other actions available to them depending on their surroundings, such as crouch behind sandbag barriers or conceal themselves in tall grass. Command Points can also be used to issue Orders that can boost units' statistics, remotely attack enemies, or provide other special effects. When all of the player's Command Points have been spent, or the player elects to end their turn, the Player Phase ends and the Enemy Phase begins, with the game's artificial intelligence moving the opposing forces' units according to the same rules as the player's. Units equipped with appropriate weapons can defend themselves by laying down interception fire when enemy units step into their line of sight, as well as provide supporting fire for nearby friendly units during their attack. Brand new to Valkyria Chronicles III is the addition of character-unique Special Powers,[5] accessible by Kurt, Imca, and Riela. Use of these Special Powers requires Special Points that are far less numerous than Command Points and do not replenish as turns pass, placing a strict limit on how they may be used during any one mission.
When at the Nameless' Home Base, menus detailing the growth and customization of the squad's infantry and vehicles can be accessed.[6] Experience points and money earned by completing missions are used to improve characters' statistics and equipment, respectively. While in previous titles of the series infantry were confined to a specific class type, Valkyria Chronicles III enables players to change all characters' class by altering their equipment. When changing classes that character's statistics also change to match parameters typical to that class, but each individual has a preference for a specific class type or types where their statistics are boosted overall. Through use of experience points, general attributes for all infantry can be increased across four categories: Stamina, Marksmanship, Agility, and Anti-Personnel or Anti-Armor Combat. Experience can also be used to learn new Orders, if available. Each character also has a set of Potentials that can be divided into two categories: Personal Potentials and Battle Potentials. While Personal Potentials are unique and cannot be changed, Battle Potentials are learned through a new system called the Master Table, viewed as a chess board with individual pieces representing Potentials to be learned. By learning new Battle Potentials in combat by performing various actions, those Potentials' pieces light up, tracing lines around the board. More powerful High Potentials are gained by following paths where lines from different class types can intersect. The squad's tank can be extensively customized, with a number of armaments and other parts available to be equipped to the tank, limited by how much weight each part adds to the tank's chassis.
[edit]

No Plot as I have no idea if it's really spoiler heavy and I'm still working on the second game...and hell the first one when I get a chance to get it again.

Review/Commet/FAR BETTER OP by Dunan
Dunan said:
I've got the game and am now on Chapter 17 (of 20); I've been playing it almost daily for the past few months. There's almost too much content in this game.

btn_val3.jpg

I really, really like it. Some of the anime-ness of VC2 is still there, but the atmosphere is a lot more serious: we're in the middle of a war here, not studying for our final exams at the military academy!

You take the role of Kurt Irving, valedictorian graduate of Lanseal Academy, who suddenly finds himself in a penal squad made up of various expendables sent there for crimes large and small. Your allies have a delightful variety of personalities and they interact well together; this game probably surpasses both VC1 and VC2 in that regard. Lots and lots of voiced dialogue.

The graphics have taken a small step up, with each character now having their own look, as opposed to VC2 where there was one generic male and female body with only the heads looking different.

Several locations are reused from VC2, which makes sense since some of the battles are taking place in the same places, but locations are also reused within this game -- the same "seaside city" map for several different cities; same for forests and open fields -- which can be a little confusing.

The smallish maps of VC2 are back, but with a couple of tweaks that make them a little easier to deal with. See the "2" in the camp here?

snap013_20110128214532.jpg

That tells you that that camp leads to area 2, something that wasn't in VC2.

(They removed the soldier numbers that used to appear next to the icons. Not a huge loss but I wouldn't have minded them staying in.)

You typically get nine soldiers to work with, up from VC2's six. This makes camp defense a bit easier and spreads the battles out:

002.jpg

As you progress through the story, you'll progress through maps of various parts of Gallia:

11012802.jpg

...which is a pretty good addition compared to VC2's classroom and blackboard.

Where this game shines is the look of the user interface. Lots of yellowing paper and juddery filmstrips and stamped documents; they did such a good job improving on the original game's UI despite this being on the PSP. That great Trappist monastery font is back again and really adds flavor. Seriously, it's a small part of the game but it adds so much. I wouldn't mind having a VC3 theme with proper fonts and backgrounds on my computer! This wouldn't look as good if not for all the beige:

VALKYRIA3_0003.jpeg

11012803a_2.jpg

It will truly be a disappointment if this game isn't translated. There are bits of English here and there:

11012801a.jpg

...but not nearly enough to play through the story without knowing Japanese. If your Japanese is up to the challenge, I highly recommend playing it. If you can speak better than you can read, you're in luck, as most of the dialogue is voiced so your reading skills will be reinforced all through the game. (The encyclopedia entries and other extra info isn't voiced, though.)

These days you can find this game for under Y4000 (about $50) used, so if you've got friends in Japan who can ship it to you, go for it.

Aeana

I was thinking that I could have sworn this was already out. I imagine the people who were going to play it already did. Well, except me. I'll get to it someday. (._. )

CiSTM

Banned
There is a 3rd game :O ? Oh and op is fine, maybe some more gameplay pictures and some youtube material and voilà. Really loved the first game but wasn't really feeli' VC2 until very recently and it's great. Hopefully this will get US&EU release some day.

scy

Saw thread title, got majorly hyped, read OP, slitting wrists.

Probably going to get around to importing a copy and playing through it that way. Love the games too much to let something silly like language get in the way of playing it :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Too expensive to import, it's twice as much or more than any PSP game I've ever bought. If prices go down and a fan translation starts up I'll probably pick it up though.

Such a shame Sega decided to ditch the PSP in the west before getting to this game.

VillageBC

I'm still playing through VC2 out of some loyality to the first one. Sega took an excellent title in VC1, then ruined it with VC2 PSP release. =( At least this one sounds better.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
_dementia said:
Not to mention the state of PSP in the west these days.

But mostly because Sega doesn't love us. :(
Let me dream, damn it.

Gregorn

It's a shame Sega don't care about localising this, VCII is fun but the story and characters are horrible and this looks like an improvement in the story area at least.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sega would be stupid not to have both this and Yakuza PSP ready to go in English as PSP-Remasters for PS3 and Vita.

I say would be, but well, they are anyway so... :(

Got it and played for a while. It's pretty much VC2 with rejiggered (and overall better) mechanics.

Shame about the ridiculous number of reused maps, though.

Dunan

I've got the game and am now on Chapter 17 (of 20); I've been playing it almost daily for the past few months. There's almost too much content in this game.

btn_val3.jpg

I really, really like it. Some of the anime-ness of VC2 is still there, but the atmosphere is a lot more serious: we're in the middle of a war here, not studying for our final exams at the military academy!

You take the role of Kurt Irving, valedictorian graduate of Lanseal Academy, who suddenly finds himself in a penal squad made up of various expendables sent there for crimes large and small. Your allies have a delightful variety of personalities and they interact well together; this game probably surpasses both VC1 and VC2 in that regard. Lots and lots of voiced dialogue.

The graphics have taken a small step up, with each character now having their own look, as opposed to VC2 where there was one generic male and female body with only the heads looking different.

Several locations are reused from VC2, which makes sense since some of the battles are taking place in the same places, but locations are also reused within this game -- the same "seaside city" map for several different cities; same for forests and open fields -- which can be a little confusing.

The smallish maps of VC2 are back, but with a couple of tweaks that make them a little easier to deal with. See the "2" in the camp here?

snap013_20110128214532.jpg

That tells you that that camp leads to area 2, something that wasn't in VC2.

(They removed the soldier numbers that used to appear next to the icons. Not a huge loss but I wouldn't have minded them staying in.)

You typically get nine soldiers to work with, up from VC2's six. This makes camp defense a bit easier and spreads the battles out:

002.jpg

As you progress through the story, you'll progress through maps of various parts of Gallia:

11012802.jpg

...which is a pretty good addition compared to VC2's classroom and blackboard.

Where this game shines is the look of the user interface. Lots of yellowing paper and juddery filmstrips and stamped documents; they did such a good job improving on the original game's UI despite this being on the PSP. That great Trappist monastery font is back again and really adds flavor. Seriously, it's a small part of the game but it adds so much. I wouldn't mind having a VC3 theme with proper fonts and backgrounds on my computer! This wouldn't look as good if not for all the beige:

VALKYRIA3_0003.jpeg

11012803a_2.jpg

It will truly be a disappointment if this game isn't translated. There are bits of English here and there:

11012801a.jpg

...but not nearly enough to play through the story without knowing Japanese. If your Japanese is up to the challenge, I highly recommend playing it. If you can speak better than you can read, you're in luck, as most of the dialogue is voiced so your reading skills will be reinforced all through the game. (The encyclopedia entries and other extra info isn't voiced, though.)

These days you can find this game for under Y4000 (about $50) used, so if you've got friends in Japan who can ship it to you, go for it.

Just hearing about this game is enough to make me depressed that it isn't being translated, it looks so good and i'm one of those people who thoroughly enjoyed VC2, school setting and all!

Been on the fence for a super long time about 3.

Heard from a friend that it's just as long as 2 which sealed the deal for me. No thanks. Don't want to spend all my weekends for a couple months like I did with 2, which was a big disappointment for me of 2010.

Mikeside

Valkyria Chronicles is one of my favourite IPs ever, I can't believe this isn't coming to EU/US :(

How long do we think until there's a fan-translation?

Netto-kun

Beaten the game ages ago.

This is the class change screen. Anyone in your squad may change into whichever class you want. Notice how Sniper, Gunner and Fencer are their own classes now. The star indicates that you have mastered the class (reached third tier and unlocked all potentials for that specific class).
20110811180014_0.png

They merged the Engineer, Medic and Anthem Corp classes into one. Fencer class got a slight nerf.
20110811180022_0.png
20110811183117_0.png

And the Master Table is pretty neat. Even though it doesn't do much other than showing which class and high potentials you've unlocked.
20110811180110_0.png

If you want a Mauler over a Fencer, all you have to do is equip the right weapon for the character.
20110811180229_0.png
20110811180257_0.png

This also applies for Sniper/Anti-tank Sniper and Lancer/Mortarer.
20110811180321_0.png
20110811180338_0.png

20110811180358_0.png
20110811180415_0.png

Dunan

Manos, if you're worried about disappointing people, how about changing the title to something that'll inform them, like Valkyria Chronicles III: [OT] of School's Out in the US and Europe, but This Game Isn't?

Nix

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Apologies to anyone who thought this was to announce a US release date or that the game was coming out. That wasn't the intention.

I don't accept; I was devastasted by the news, as I love the VC series.
Just joking, I'd want to import, but I'm waiting for a fan translation

Yeah, heard about the game, and was super excited for it, but looking back...I don't really think Sega's going to go through the trouble of translating it. Tch, Sega...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
By the time I finish VC 1 and 2 the fan translation for 3 will probably be available

I've been pecking away at VC1 for over two years now! And I wouldn't consider it abandoned or backlogged or anything. I usually come back every few months and beat a mission or two.

Top Bottom