• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve changes subscriber agreement in regards to disputes, mandates court resolution rather than arbitration

Topher

Gold Member
Just got this popup a few minutes ago.

The agreement highlights the primary change regarding dispute resolution to be resolved in courts and not in arbitration. The agreement states this is subject to regional laws.

BmTfQ1c.png

Ov5wkVP.png

New subscriber agreement:

Prior subscriber agreement:

Key verbiage that was removed from the agreement:

"A. Must Arbitrate All Claims Except Intellectual Property, Unauthorized Use, Piracy, or Theft

YOU AND VALVE AGREE TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES AND CLAIMS BETWEEN US IN INDIVIDUAL BINDING ARBITRATION. THAT INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, ANY CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO: (i) ANY ASPECT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN US; (ii) THIS AGREEMENT; OR (iii) YOUR USE OF STEAM, YOUR ACCOUNT, HARDWARE OR THE CONTENT AND SERVICES. IT APPLIES REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH CLAIMS ARE BASED IN CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTE, FRAUD, UNFAIR COMPETITION, MISREPRESENTATION OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND INCLUDES ALL CLAIMS BROUGHT ON BEHALF OF ANOTHER PARTY."

Seems at odds with most companies that seem to always favor arbitration over court proceedings.

Topher

Gold Member
What disputes is it referring to?

Any disputes that cannot be resolved via customer support, it would seem. Doesn't state specific disputes in particular.

In layman's term?

Previously, you waived your right to sue Valve and take them to court. Instead you agreed to let this be handled by a mediator in arbitration. Now, it must be handled via lawsuit in a court. That's how I'm reading it anyway.

More knowledgeable folks, please correct me.

Top Bottom