• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon FiOS: Question

Okay currently I have Verizon FiOS home phone (why do you need home phone? Because I do, don't ask) and 50/50 Internet. My current agreement expires next week and my current bill is going to up $5 not including taxes and fees.

I am happy with the service however I have the option to go to 100/100 for just $20 more.

I don't want to get locked into a 2 year contract because I may be moving soon to an area that doesn't have FiOS. It might have Optimum, it might have Comcast, or it may have FiOS but I'd rather not pay a termination fee.

What I'd like to know is? I have an old router/modem/whatever you call it from Verizon so how can I ensure I am getting my advertised speeds? Is speedtest.net good?

If not what's a good modem to use and where do I get it to ensure I get my advertised speeds and the advertised speeds if I were to upgrade and double.

Thanks in advance.

Luschient

Sorry for the bump (and sorry nobody ever answered you AW).

I'm a FIOS customer and just found out that Verizon sold FIOS to Frontier Communications in TX, CA, and FL. I received a letter in the mail also letting me know of the switch, which is supposed to happen on April 1.

Anybody have experience with Frontier? I've had FIOS for a few years and never had any issues. Getting 75 mbps with no data cap currently and will be pissed if Frontier comes in and changes stuff up.

Huh, I believe I'm in the same boat; would be curious to see some Frontier impressions as well, or may this be a topic more suited to a new thread entirely?

edit: Hell, maybe even one not in Community, maybe? xD

akileese

Sorry for the bump (and sorry nobody ever answered you AW).

I'm a FIOS customer and just found out that Verizon sold FIOS to Frontier Communications in TX, CA, and FL. I received a letter in the mail also letting me know of the switch, which is supposed to happen on April 1.

Anybody have experience with Frontier? I've had FIOS for a few years and never had any issues. Getting 75 mbps with no data cap currently and will be pissed if Frontier comes in and changes stuff up.

Bumping this thread since it's live now. We never even got an email on my wife's account, but I got one on a two year old FIOS account. My buddy used to work for frontier as a network engineer and said they're pretty much hot garbage. They may be inheriting Verizon's network, but their support is shit and if anything goes wrong, their NOC turn around on getting it fixed will be significantly longer.

Save us Google. You're our only hope.

Top Bottom