• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Upgrading..

• Thread starter Deleted member 284
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking figures, as soon as I move out of DC and cancel my Verizon DSL (I'm on Cox Cable in VA now), they fucking switch to a good XBL upload speed. Sonofabitch. :mad

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wait, my upload is still 768Kbps, I remember they said I wasn't eligible to get the new speed even though I'm just down the street from them. I should probably switch to cable.

...oh, cable is $15 more a month. I'm screwed.

Dice said:
Wait, my upload is still 768Kbps, I remember they said I wasn't eligible to get the new speed even though I'm just down the street from them. I should probably switch to cable.

Just wait 5 more days because for some areas it takes longer for Verizon to switch the serrvice.

bjork

I'm on earthlink dsl now with half the speed... verizon folks, would you recommend switching to verizon?

I've never really heard anything bad about them.

bjork said:
I'm on earthlink dsl now with half the speed... verizon folks, would you recommend switching to verizon?

I've never really heard anything bad about them.

Absolutely.

Back when they did the free upgrade to 1.5 down, it was just in time for their price drop to $35 a month. It just didn't get better than that. Now this new upload upgrade to 384. In fall, they will be offering a 3.0 down, 768k up, at around $55.

The speed is consistant, I've had maybe one brief outage in approx. 1 1/2 years, and their customer service is excellent. When I was having problems with getting my free speed upgrade to 1.5, they had me talk to one of their backbone engineers, and he went through all sorts of things and had to reset some major thing on their end, just so I could get the free upgrade. They're great, seriously.

bjork

Sounds good... I'll have to look into it sometime this week, then. Earthlink's been having frequent outages in my area, and there's no like, pro-rated charge or anything. Really annoying.

oh yeah...finally, i can upload more in bittorrent which equals more download. i'm probably qualified for it; i live about five blocks away from the central office, which happens to be right next to lucent technology headquarters...

btw, how much is the 3000/768 package going to be?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
The verizon office is like across the street here and they had to test, idiots!

But damn, 1.5 Mbps down and 384 kbps up is sex for $29.95. I just called to upgrade but they said it would take 5 days. I'm in no rush.

ShadowRed

Banned
Thanks to the guy who started this thread. I don't have Verizon, but it inspired me to call SBC/Yahoo, and i was able to upgrade from a 384 to 1.5-3.0 Kb connection. Only cost me 39.99 that's 10 buck more than I'm paying now. Although I have to wait till next Tuesday for it to kick in.

"upgrade to 1500/384"

bahahahahahahahahaha

i think i'll stick with optimum online's 10000/1000

2004-06-08 19:40:38 EST: 7006 / 935
Your download speed : 7174911 bps, or 7006 kbps.
A 875.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 957548 bps, or 935 kbps.

goodcow

The Faceless Master said:
"upgrade to 1500/384"

bahahahahahahahahaha

i think i'll stick with optimum online's 10000/1000

2004-06-08 19:40:38 EST: 7006 / 935
Your download speed : 7174911 bps, or 7006 kbps.
A 875.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 957548 bps, or 935 kbps.

At least we don't live in Nassau like you.

goodcow

$29.95 now.. 6 month introductory plan.. $49.95 regular .. $44.95 if you're a cable subscriber...

The key word there is introductory. Verizon is $29.95 all the time.

I've had both (Verizon DSL and Optimum Online) and there is NO comparison. I download at 1 megabyte/sec for 44.95 a month. Can't beat that. Besides, both prices are constantly in flux. When with Verizon my DSL was 50/month for the standard package, which is half the speed of the new upgrade.

goodcow

for 1/8th the speed

i have no problems paying $50 for 10000 vs $30 for 1500

Because we all know the servers you download from can transfer at 10,000kbps. :rolleyes:

metsallica said:
I've had both (Verizon DSL and Optimum Online) and there is NO comparison. I download at 1 megabyte/sec for 44.95 a month. Can't beat that. Besides, both prices are constantly in flux. When with Verizon my DSL was 50/month for the standard package, which is half the speed of the new upgrade.
yeah, i remember when i had dsl, i had earthlink, which was 1500/384, and verizon was doing 768/128 on the same damn lines back then for the same price... that was in 2000 tho...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
If I was out on my own I'd do definitely get the cable package from OptimumOnline. I'd download the entire internet in about 4 days and host a server or two. Only issue with me is I don't want my neighbors to fuck shit up for me and hog up the connection (as population density is an issue with cable) and I don't want down/up caps. Verizon has gone on record stating that they won't institute caps, so I'm good to go for that.

I'd love that fatty pipe you guys have, hell for $50 it's definitely within range. Such bandwidth should not be accessible to home users!

Capping is an issue, but only on upload. The frustrating thing is they refuse to state clearly what type of behavior is cap-worthy, so it can be quite annoying. I've been capped once but a simple call to OOL got it reversed in minutes. I find if I need to do tons of uploading (BT, for example) it pays to do it overnight. The later, the better. Ever since being capped I've never changed my ways, though, and have been fine. I've had OOL since 1997 and the speeds have never decreased despite the fact that my node is probably near capacity as tons of people have cable modems around here.

Goodcow: I can't speak for Faceless but I can say that the majority of my downloading comes from IGN. Here's a real world example of the speed, and even that is in the low end:

OOL.jpg

Here's a recent speed test:

optonline.jpg

I'm at or around 1 megabyte/second at all times.

Have cable companies finally gotten their shit together and offer those super speeds with little to no degrading due to other users on your node?

The only option I have is Adelphia's Powerlink service. Anyone have experience with that? It might be worth it if the ping times were as low as my DSL, and had signifigantly faster DL/UL rates.

All I can speak for is Cablevision but I've never once had an issue with speed during network peak-usage in over 7 years, and I'm fanatical about benchmarking my line speed.

Otaking

You people make me wanna hurt myself. And I thought I was special because I finally got a 512/128 cable connection from my local family owned cable provider. It's my only option other than dial-up. It's better than nothing. But damn, to be able to do 1 meg/second download speed. That makes me physically excited just thinking about it. All I get right now is 55-65 kb/s download speed. I cry.....

Ecrofirt

Error Macro said:
Have cable companies finally gotten their shit together and offer those super speeds with little to no degrading due to other users on your node?

The only option I have is Adelphia's Powerlink service. Anyone have experience with that? It might be worth it if the ping times were as low as my DSL, and had signifigantly faster DL/UL rates.

I use Adelphia.

My average downloads from websites are around 350k/s, but my uploads never go much about 30k/s.

On Bittorrent, I don't seem to get much higher than 100k/s download speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom