• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Victory Heat Rally review; a modern sprite scaling-esque banger of an arcade racer

VGEsoterica

So you may either a) love sprite scaling because you grew up with it or b) be a little ambivalent if you didnt grow up in that era, but its always been a unique way to make 2D appear as 3D and it was all the rage with OutRun, OutRunners and many other Sega and Taito arcade games, especially in the racing genre. Plus who doesn't love a good arcade racing game

For what feels like forever Victory Heat Rally has been in active development, launching a demo sometime back in 2023 but it's finally out and it satisfies every retro gaming arcade racing itch you could possible have. Sure we have stuff like Forza Horizon but that classic over the top arcade physics racing fun just is something we don't see very often any more but with VHR we have that vibe back.

Throw in some Sega Rally style rally courses, some fun progression, colors that feel like you might be inside a rainbow and just a straight up great soundtrack and you 100% have a winner

So who on GAF is into classic arcade racing games? It cant just be me

calistan

To me that just looks completely wrong. When games have a low-res pixelated art style, but the sprites scale and rotate independent of that resolution, it looks like they're cardboard cutouts.

Dural

This looks great, exactly the type of game I play. I might have to pick this up even though I'd prefer it was on a console. If I still had a Steam Deck this would have been perfect for it.

Reactions: Isa

nikos

def similar vibes

bad state? I didnt encounter any issues. Curious what went wrong

Edited my post.

Turns out some of the issues I was having were related to a folder found in AppData/Local that I believe was created by the demo, as the related data is now stored in the game's install directory.

Seems one of the "issues" (the way the track/street is rendered) may have actually been a feature in the demo.

This link will expire in two days, but it can be seen here:

VGEsoterica

Edited my post.

Turns out some of the issues I was having were related to a folder found in AppData/Local that I believe was created by the demo, as the related data is now stored in the game's install directory.

Seems one of the "issues" (the way the track/street is rendered) may have actually been a feature in the demo.

This link will expire in two days, but it can be seen here:

Ahh I see. Thanks for clarifying!

00_Zer0

I helped Kickstart this game. We need more arcade racers, but I'm getting tired of the cel shaded, or low poly virtua racing style looks in some of these indie style arcade racers. I wish they would aim higher on the graphics front. I want arcade tier Sega style graphics in the vein of Outrun 2 or Daytona 2 etc. Rant aside, I'm glad this finally released though. Hopefully I get better at this because my drifting skills sucked when I played the original demo.

VGEsoterica

I helped Kickstart this game. We need more arcade racers, but I'm getting tired of the cel shaded, or low poly virtua racing style looks in some of these indie style arcade racers. I wish they would aim higher on the graphics front. I want arcade tier Sega style graphics in the vein of Outrun 2 or Daytona 2 etc. Rant aside, I'm glad this finally released though. Hopefully I get better at this because my drifting skills sucked when I played the original demo.
Someone just needs to make a Thrill Drive style game. I’d fund the shit out of that

nikos

Finally had a chance to sit down with the game and they really nailed that "golden era" feel. Everything including the gameplay, art, animation, music, and sound fx is spot on.

Still a couple of minor bugs/annoyances that I'm sure will be fixed but I would definitely recommend this to any fan of the genre.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Nice review!

I was hoping that the scaling would be more like the pixelated scaling in the classic Sega games but it still looks fun so I think I'll give it a try.

nikos

Just here to reiterate that this game is fucking fantastic.

Parking Garage Rally is also good. Each game feels like a labor of love.

Dural

Ended up buying it on Steam. I have a Ryzen 5 Pro 2600g mini PC with Batocera hooked up to my TV and I think it will play it fine based on the recommended specs. I'll try it tonight.

John Bilbo

While we're here, I picked this up for $1.49 the other day and it's a lot of fun. It's sort of like trackmania.

I've never heard of this one. I'll check it out!

Edit: Based on the controls, options and the quests this is a mobile port. The drifting mechanic doesn't feel too great but otherwise seems solid.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I mean look at Sega, they could have independently released Daytona 2 on home consoles, but no instead you have to get a game you have NO remote interest in, to play it..why? Do they not feel that Daytona can stand on its own?

Soltype

Nice review!

I was hoping that the scaling would be more like the pixelated scaling in the classic Sega games but it still looks fun so I think I'll give it a try.
Yeah that's the first thing I noticed, definitely looks like a modern game. I'd kill for a new proper super scaler game.

Top Bottom