• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video game arbitrage, or how I got an X-Box for $55.

Grimlock

Well, due to the congruence of several gaming deals this past weekend, I mananged to score an X-Box and a game for a small sum and a good amount of effort. After reading this, I imagine some of you will congratulate me, whilst others will curse me. I also think that some of you will highlight how I could have done better at such-and-such point. But I thought my tale would be of interest regardless, so why not.

It all began this past Saturday night. I was spending the weekend at my buddy's house. I had just logged on to this forum to see if there was something amusing or such to peruse, when I came across Wario64's little post about (what I'm sure will be called) the Great CC Game Liquidation of Doom. Recalling that Game Rush was running a deal for trading in any 2 games to get another used game for $9.99, I point out this opportunity to my friend, and we hightail it to the nearest CC. Arriving within 15 minutes of closing time, I managed to score a copy of Disgaea (for trading purposes) along with Okage, GG XX and Wild Arms 3, as my friend fruitlessly sought Vietiful Joe; he eventually just grabbed 2 junk titles for Game Rush. We then proceeded to the nearest Game Rush, where he traded in the 2 games he got for Mario Kart DD. We were quite surprised when the Blockbuster clerk advised us that the trade-in value of the games my friend brought in (a total of $10) could be applied to the $9.99 for Mario Kart as part of the deal. After taxes, my buddy ended up owing 60 cents. That store didn't have anything I desired, so we left. Once we returned to his domicile, I set about doing some more reasearch betwix this forum, CheapAssGamer, and FatWallet. Needless to say, a strategem began to congeal within my warped little mind-we would sally forth to several CC's on the morrow and score some cheap games, then proceed to a Game Rush to get a high-value used game (like say Spiderman 2 or such) on the cheap, then go to a Gamestop to build up a goodly amount of trading value.

The following day, we hit another CC as soon as it opened and I scored (this is where most people will start hating me) another 2 copies of Disgaea, another copy of Okage and a copy of Defender. We left after that to go to the Braves game that afternoon, and we didn't get to another CC till 5 PM, where I scored FirePro GBA. We then hit a different Game Rush, where I gave my buddy Defender and Okage to trade (I owed him a bit o' money) for a used copy of Viewtiful Joe (for his collection); he ended up with the game & $5 worth of credit. Once more finding nothing of interest to me, we left and decided to start with the Gamestops the following day.

We started out yesterday with all 3 Disgaeas, Wild Arms 3, and FirePro for the 1st Gamestop. At that point I was thinking about the "get $10 extra credit when trading in 3 games" thing they were running earlier, but they had stopped that. Instead, they were now doing a coupon for $3 extra credit per traded game. The clerk at the 1st Gamestop said he could take only 1 Disgaea for $25 (with the aforementioned coupon), and that Wild Arms 3 was worth $6 and FirePro was $1. I decided to trade just the Disgaea and he gives me a $25 certificate. On our way to the 2nd Gamestop, we came across another Game Rush. We pull over and I find a used copy of Driv3r and I note a used copy of Burnout 2 for X-Box. I go up to the counter with Wild Arms and FirePro and Driv3r for the $9.99 deal, hand them over to the clerk, and he says ,"FirePro is worth $1.50, and Wild Arms 3 is worth $25." I leave grinning like a loon with Driv3r and Burnout 2 for $5. The 2nd Gamestop gets Driv3r and another Disgaea-I get a $52 certificate. At the final Gamestop, I hand over the final Disgaea and my certs. The clerk goes wide-eyed and asks how I got so many copies of Disgaea. I tell him about the CC deal-I was kinda surprised that he didn't seem aware of the CC Liquidation of Doom-and he just about shits himself. I ask if they had a refurbed Box, and he brings one out. With all the credits, I shelled out another $28 and waltzed out with the Box. Found out it had a Samsung drive when I got it back to my buddy's place.

Life is good sometimes.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Should have given that GGXX to me dammit. Mods, make a feature where I can ban people from my future threads

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
Should have given that GGXX to me dammit. Mods, make a feature where I can ban people from my future threads

Wario64: All-around nice guy, or Frugal Fascist?

you decide!

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Wow, sounds like what I did with JSRF at Christmas time and everyone copied for positive results, but better.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
LOOK AT ME IM AN ASSHOLE WHO BUYS MULTIPLE COPIES OF RARE GAMES AND TRADE THEM IN FOR $10 CREDIT AT GAMESTOP HA HA A WINNER IS
YOU
ME

hey it was YOU who got the last copy of Mark of Kri and Super Blaster Man for $5 I can't believe it you damn jerk. I wanted that for my friends and I to enjoy on the weekends with our beers and you took that away well I hope you feel very ashamed because I WILL make you OR break you.

Bog

Junior Ace
My CC had 4 copies of JSRF a week ago (which I obviously bought). Eat on those.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Bog said:
My CC had 4 copies of JSRF a week ago (which I obviously bought). Eat on those.

See, I don't mind JSRF so much because it was bundled in for a while and has been out long enough for anyone who cared to get it to do so.

Agent Dormer said:
See, I don't mind JSRF so much because it was bundled in for a while and has been out long enough for anyone who cared to get it to do so.
Right. The JSRF thing was only really important because of the fact that you could bring them to Wal-Mart for $50 a pop. It's not like anybody wanted them.

I'd like to point out that I didn't buy any CC games AT ALL. So by some logic I'm the greatest guy on this forum.

Grimlock

Gee, Wario. According to your public profile, you're on the West Coast. I'm on the East Coast. So unless you were in the Metro Atlanta area this past weekend, I severely doubt that my purchases would have affected your chances of scoring Disgaea in the slightest. Besides, you could just as easily do a variant of what I did to get Disgaea.

And, for the record, I was getting $25 per game at Gamestop, not $10.

Oh, and that GG XX is for my collection. I'll trade it when Hell freezes over.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Wow, you were pretty desperate for cash weren't you?

The only thing I can brag about is when I purchased a PS2 (with two controllers, required cables, and a memory card) from some guy for $80 when they were $200 (a few months before Vice City to be exact).

Grimlock

Actually, I was. Last month, I had to plunk down a considerable sum to have my car fixed, so this was the only way I could have gotten an X-Box anytime within the next several months. I had to strike while this opportunity presented itself-after all, how often do things like this work out?

Kobun Heat said:
Right. The JSRF thing was only really important because of the fact that you could bring them to Wal-Mart for $50 a pop. It's not like anybody wanted them.

could someone explain the "wal-mart scam" in more detail? I have a copy of Aliens vs. Predator for the PS2 and I want the Xbox version. Do I just go in and say that I got it as a gift and really would rather have the Xbox version, please and thank you?

If I have to, I have a 13 y/o sweet innocent sibling that can do it for me. They're less likely to tell him no, methinks.

Oh yeah, and how does the Game Rush thing work again? The coupon on the website was for $29.99...how does that work when the game itself is $29.99?

signet said:
no it isn't, took the $110 I made off those 3 $5.00 games and bought more games.

how the HELL did you do that?!

SickBoy

Grimlock said:
Well, due to the congruence of several gaming deals this past weekend, I mananged to score an X-Box and a game for a small sum and a good amount of effort. After reading this, I imagine some of you will congratulate me, whilst others will curse me. I also think that some of you will highlight how I could have done better at such-and-such point. But I thought my tale would be of interest regardless, so why not.

I've got to give you credit for the effort, and commend you for doing it above the board, rather than trying to scam the retailers.

-SB

Top Bottom