• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Controllers That Have Lasted You A Long Time

I'm sick and tired of drift and would like to have a thread where we can share products that actually work. In this generation and the last, I'm pretty sure I've went through at least 6+ Sony and a Nintendo Switch controller due to stick drift.

Noticing a pattern, I decided to go third party. Third party controllers, despite lacking in quality in comparison to brand name controllers, have lasted longer and are still in working order.

No drift.

Does anyone have any third party (or even first party) controllers from the past/present generations that have lasted you for a long time? Please share.

Last edited:
PS1 Controller without Analogue still have it, works amazing. Would buy again.
My PS2 controller still works like a charm. We're going backwards when it comes to longevity of controllers. Unless they fix this shit, Sony's not getting a cent from me for their controllers any longer.

emivita

I'm sick and tired of drift and would like to have a thread where we can share products that actually work. In this generation and the last, I'm pretty sure I've went through at least 6+ Sony and a Nintendo Switch controller due to stick drift.

Uuuh, I still have my Dual Shock 4 that came along with the PS4 Pro bought at launch, still in fantastic condition after 8 years. No stick drift, and even battery is still great.

On the other side, I had 2 Dual Shock 3 with mild stick drift, but everything else on those controllers still works.

I used a Xbox one controller for many many years on PC and it only died after I threw it against the wall

That's what FIFA can do to someone

I've had this one for a while now, and is still working! I use it for when I play PC games, which is very comfortable. The ergonomics of the Xbox controller is hard to beat.

Hrk69

Gold Member

I've had this one for a while now, and is still working! I use it for when I play PC games, which is very comfortable. The ergonomics of the Xbox controller is hard to beat.
Yeah, the Xbox controller is one of my all-time favorites because of that. It held up so long.

I'm now playing with a Dualsense, it's fine too but can't beat the Xbox controller ergonomics

I looked at the premium Xbox controllers but the found the price to be a bit too steep

Next Time GIF

Last edited:

Fahdis

My PS2 controller still works like a charm. We're going backwards when it comes to longevity of controllers. Unless they fix this shit, Sony's not getting a cent from me for their controllers any longer.

I dunno man. It could also depend on how extra you guys are with your controllers for example:

- PS1 Controllers (3 of the 2 still work)
- PS2 Dualshock (2 of 2 Still work)
- PS3 Dualshock (Dead)
- PS4 Dualshock (2 of 2 Still work)
- PS5 Dualsense (Still works)
- My Personal Joystick (probably will go through ED very soon due to excessive use and one night stands with women I don't love)

It's about how you take care of your things.

I dunno man. It could also depend on how extra you guys are with your controllers for example:

- PS1 Controllers (3 of the 2 still work)
- PS2 Dualshock (2 of 2 Still work)
- PS3 Dualshock (Dead)
- PS4 Dualshock (2 of 2 Still work)
- PS5 Dualsense (Still works)
- My Personal Joystick (probably will go through ED very soon due to excessive use and one night stands with women I don't love)

It's about how you take care of your things.
Yeah, no doubt one of the factors is in how I'm handling them (despite being conscious of how I hold my controllers), but if they've made controllers in the past that have longer lifespans, I'm pretty sure they can do it again; but I know they won't do anything about it, because it's making them money.

Last edited:

Fess

TAC-2 joystick for Commodore 64, purchased mid-80s, sometimes needs the copper plates for buttons cleaned but otherwise it’s working perfectly. Still in use.

Wico Command Control bat handle joystick for Amiga, purchased late 80s, perfect condition, buttons and stick. Still using it.

Playstation 1 controller and the concave analog stick controller that arrived before dualshock. Was a long time since I used them but I’ve never had a failing one.

Xbox 360 wired controller, rubber on sticks has peeled off but works great and it’s what I use to play controller games on my main PC.

Lunarorbit

The only controller to ever mess up was my launch switch controllers that had drift. Atari 2600 and original Nintendo controllers still work. Played dead space last year and my dual shocks were fine.

Fahdis

Yeah, no doubt one of the factors is in how I'm handling them (despite being conscious of how I hold my controllers), but if they've made controllers in the past that have longer lifespans, I'm pretty sure they can do it again; but I know they won't do anything about it, because it's making them money.

Shady companies do this on purpose so you have to buy controllers again. I would suggest 8bitdo for casual gaming and Hori for fighters.

Cattlyst

Still have the original Duke controller connected to my OG Xbox. Works just as well as it did when new. Also have a couple of Dreamcast controllers that are perfectly functional, and several original Dual Shock PS1 controllers that have zero issues. They don’t make em like they used to!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
My Xbox 360 controllers are 16 years old and still work. I use them on Windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

FeralEcho

Anything but the Dualshit...eh...I mean Dualsense which has the worst build quality of any controller I've used and is somehow premium price.

My Dualshock 2 still going strong 20 years later...Ridiculous.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
My day one dualsense is still going strong! I have 3 others just cause I’m a sucker and like to rotate a lot but none of them have failed me so far.

I don’t think I’ve ever had any controllers break from Sega mega drive, SNES, PS1, PS2, 360 PS4 and PS5. I don’t know what some of you are doing to your controllers.

Edit: I had that peely thing on the PS4 analog sticks but that was widespread.

Last edited:

BlackTron

NES, SNES and Genesis but those are very simple designs so it's less impressive.

The only dual analog controller that's been invincible is my day one Wavebird. Back then I swapped the yellow C stick with the main grey stick from a broken wired controller. Brilliant decision that set me for life.

N64 controllers are like tanks other than the god forsaken control stick. It lasts nigh forever only if you take it apart and treat the inside with lubricant. Doesn't really count but it does work. The newer "better" design is more durable but you have no way to stop drift when it wants to show up. Only real solution is Hall sticks...

NeonDelta

Only 1st party controllers I’ve had break are 1 switch joy con stick drift and the thumb sticks wearing off on Xbox 360 and dual shock 2 controllers. Every other controller I’ve owned (20 plus) has been fine

ManaByte

Gold Member
Still using an Xbox One launch controller on PC. 10 years strong.

Still using my 20th anniversary Xbox Series controller currently.

Cryio

I have a Logitech F710 (the wireless version of F310), you know, the controller from that submarine that exploded.

Works as good as the first day, 6 years ago, in 2018. However it's not a controller that's good for low input response, so no fighting games for you. Nor Nier Automata somehow. But any other genre of gaming? Excellent.

marquimvfs

The only controller that I manage to destroy was the n64 ones i have. Had to change the analog sticks of 2 because they were wear out, now they are alive and kicking. Everything else is working perfectly, except for some batteries (like the ones in dualshock 3) that dont last as long as they did when brand new. Retro stuff (Snes, Mega Drive, TurboGame (Brazilian Famiclone) and the not so retro (ps1 and 2, Dreamcast, gamecube) also working great.

Last edited:
I've been gaming since the Atari 2600 and I have owned every iteration of Sony, Nintendo, Sega, and MS system...and I have never had a controller break, nor have I experienced spontaneous stick drift (though I have bought a couple of used PS controllers through the generations that had it already).

I honestly don't know what you guys are doing with your controllers that this comes up so much...Or I dunno, maybe I've just been lucky?

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The only controller that ever let me down was the Xbox Elite V2 controller. Stick drift, faulty buttons. Never again.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
All of them, I don't think I've ever broken or retired a controller fully. DS3 is still kicking around somewhere.

killatopak

Gold Member
DS3 definitely lasted the longest and got used even beyond its own generation. Used it for emulation back when there was no DS4 app on windows yet.

Replaced my PSX controller with DS1 but both definitely lasted the whole gen as well. DS2 analog stick rubber melted on its own in comparison.

Xbox didn’t need replacement. 360 controller got replaced by a 3rd party one with better dpad.

Wii and Wii U still in use, still the same from the box.

StueyDuck

Noticing a pattern, I decided to go third party. Third party controllers, despite lacking in quality in comparison to brand name controllers, have lasted longer and are still in working order.

No drift.

Does anyone have any third party (or even first party) controllers from the past/present generations that have lasted you for a long time? Please share.
my snes/n64/megadrive/dreamcast/gamecube controllers all work like a dream still. (and those are only the ones I've booted up in recent years).

wouldn't be shocked if my PS1/PS2 are perfectly fine too.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Every controller from the 7th gen and before still work perfectly.

8th gen and onwards they started making them much worse, probably to sell more replacements.

GametimeUK

Heavily used gamecube controller still going strong. Used it since around 2003 / 2004 all the way up until now. I still use it for Gamecube Emulation. Absolute warrior of a controller.

The only controller that ever let me down was the Xbox Elite V2 controller. Stick drift, faulty buttons. Never again.

I love everything about the Elite S2. The triggers, the grips, the stick tension, but gdamn are they pieces of $h1t.

Both RB and LB started double-clicking on mine, as well as left analog stick drift. I was able to fix the bumpers but I'll only work on the analogs if I can replace them with Hall effect sticks.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I used a Xbox one controller for many many years on PC and it only died after I threw it against the wall

That's what FIFA can do to someone
The same happenned to my day1 ps4 controller, I exploded it on my coffe table because of a faulty cable that kept disconnecting...To be fair I learned that I had cancer that day which may have triggered that slight rage outburst...Believe it or not it broke in 5 pîeces but was somehow working a bit, I just threw it to the trash because it couldn't be held anymore ...
Other than that I had to increase the deadzone on my steam deck though.

El Muerto

Gold Member
All mine work fine. I have every PS and Xbox controller (except for elite). I dont eat when I game, or throw mine around. I have one DS4 where L3 doesnt work because it's worn out.

MayauMiao

I still have Xbox OG controller and Xbox 360 in working condition. The 360 controller is wired and I use it for PC. The D-pad sucks though.

reinking

Gold Member
I have never had a controller break with the exception of two. OG Atari joysticks and Joy Cons. Both of those I had multiple breaks. I still have a closet full of older consoles/controllers and all of them work to this day.

I'm curious about what people's favorite controller of all time is. Mine is Dreamcast. It felt nice in my hands and the VMU was really cool for its time.

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
For controllers with sticks only my original Xbox 360 controller is still going, yet 3 other 360 controllers bought later all broke… but for some strange reason this one just keeps kicking despite outliving the console itself as well as it’s siblings:
w2dxPbN.jpeg

You can even see the left stick worn down to the plastic at the top from the amount of use.

PS3 controller crapped out shortly after I was on to PS4, PS4 was probably the worst out of all of them I went through 6 (mostly the triggers breaking), Xbox one I had crap out when I switched to Series X.

On this current gen I’m at 2 crapped out controllers on SX, and 1 PS5 controller …all with stick drift although the first SX one was more like ‘stick jump’ than ‘stick drift’ (it literally would randomly act like I was pushing the right stick full tilt up).

Last edited:
I've only ever had 2 controllers fail on me since the PS1 (PS1/2/3/4/5/Xbox/360/XBO/XBSX/GameCube/Wii/WiiU/SW/Dreamcast) not including handhelds which I've also never had fail on me. I'm one of those people that refuse to believe the people that say controllers fail on them all the time but they treat them perfectly.

Those 2 controllers were the WiiU Gamepad and a DualShock 3. WiiU gamepad wouldn't work unless plugged in (this is after years of sitting in a box), and the DualShock 3 had the same issue + a DPAD that registered inputs on it's own.

The DualShock I opened up and replaced the battery and cleaned the DPAD and it work's perfectly now.

So the answer is basically every controller I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I still have my original NES controllers that work perfectly that I received as a Christmas present in 1986.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
All my Xbox One controllers still work flawlessly. Some of them have a trigger squeak issue occasionally but lubricant fixes it. No stick drift on any of them.

The Switch Pro Controller I got in 2017 is still trucking along. The battery doesn’t last as long as it used to but a single charge lasts me several sessions. No drift.

No such luck with my DS4s unfortunately. All of them have drift, even the ones I barely use.

Top Bottom