• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Viewtiful Joe - IGN review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/540/540668p1.html

9.0 Presentation
The character designs, use of color, and humorous approach are a nice change of pace. And until the sequel comes out later this year, there's still nothing quite like it on the market.
9.0 Graphics
There's a bit of slowdown compared to the Cube version and a few other minor downgrades, but the game is still in ownership of an incredible art design and a likeable visual package.
8.0 Sound
Viewtiful Joe's voice acting is hilarious (Dante sounds like Austin Powers) and the music and audio effects are pretty solid. Admittedly, it is hard to understand the dialogue occasionally.
9.5 Gameplay
IGN Cube proclaimed that Joe was one of the best action games for the system -- and we agree. High-intensity action, deep flexible combat, and super challenging enemies make it great.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
VJ's addicting nature is sure to hook determined players while the various hidden characters offer plenty of incentives for those brave enough to beat it. We wouldn't mind a few more levels, though.
9.1 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

Despite the faults we listed above, none of them are actually severe enough to hamper what Viewtiful Joe ultimately brings to the table: which is nothing short of pure unadulterated entertainment. And while the game may not push any technological boundaries or attempt some kind of mind-numbing new game design, it does manage to accomplish its goal with a ruthless and laudable precision. That goal, by the way, is fun.

But you know what? In this day and age of menu-driven, overly complicated super-adventures that require players to memorize lists, contend with lengthy cutscenes, and weed through exploration hell, Viewtiful Joe's simplistic stab at fun is a breath of fresh air -- even if it is a full year after the original game's release. Throw in the fact that it costs less than $30 bucks and that it boasts one of the most flexible and enjoyable combat systems around, and you have yourself plenty of reasons why every PS2 owner should own one.

AniHawk

Just for reference, Viewtiful Joe on the Gamecube received a 9.5/10 (which I thought was way too damn high).

Anyway, at least rent the game. $30 is a bit much if you're not into the whole sidescrolling thing anymore, but it's fun for a few hours.

I might pick up the PS2 version someday...If I ever get the extra cash, and I really want to play as Dante. I probably won't be getting it this fall though. Too many games to buy, and I already own Viewtiful Joe on the GameCube, and I'll be picking up Viewtiful Joe 2 on the GameCube as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
cubeign gave the ngc version 9.5

Thusly Gamecube wins the console war
Well... either that, or Action games are held to a higher standard on PS2 ;) (and please let's not argue over this, as I'm joking just as I know you were)

In any case - the game is mine!

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I'm getting this and SF Anniversary when they come out on the 29th. Unfortunately I doubt I'll be getting VJ2 right off the bat with all of the other games coming out... and having just bought the first one two months before.

Hmm. As somebody who owns neither version, this one sounds interesting. Sweet mode sounds great for everybody who doesn't eat up games like F-Zero GX and Monkey Ball in their sleep, and Dante sounds like a good gameplay edition.

The problem of course - no 480p? Dammit.

Solid

PAL boxart!

vjpack.JPG

http://www.viewtifuljoe.co.uk/ps2/viewtiful_content.html

MINE! :D

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
"Viewtiful Joe's voice acting is hilarious (Dante sounds like Austin Powers)"

Hahah, I have to hear that.

And nice PAL boxart BTW.

Link316

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
No, but it's a nice extra for being a year late.

yeah but it also has other extras like slowdown, I would've preferred a polished game instead of a gimmicky character

Solid

Link316 said:
yeah but it also has other extras like slowdown, I would've preferred a polished game instead of a gimmicky character
Well... I like the Dual Shock 2 more and the PAL boxart is much more appealing then the GC one plus Dante is in the PS2 version. That's enough for me to justify my purchase.

And besides... there is supposed to be a tiny bit slowdowns in this version. I think I can handle that.

vg260

I'm really disappointed about the slowdown, but It'll be easier to tolerate in this game beacuse you actually slow down the game when you go into slow-motion mode. Sure, that's done by choice, but at least you're somewhat used to seeing the game "slow down".

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I believe the slowdown is something really miniature, as in that it occurs in few spots and last for very short. At least that's the impression I got so far, and IGN has been the only place to even mention it. Also, remember reading here that even the Cube version had some really miniature slowdowns sometimes when there's a complete mess on the screen. In any case, I doubt it's anything even remotely annoying, much less deal breaking.

Mooreberg said:
I'm getting this and SF Anniversary when they come out on the 29th. Unfortunately I doubt I'll be getting VJ2 right off the bat with all of the other games coming out... and having just bought the first one two months before.

Viewtiful Joe and Street FIghter Anniversary comes out the 24th of August... So PS2 version
2ch_gets.gif

Top Bottom