• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Viewtiful Joe (PS2) = $22.99 @ Fry's Electronics

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://newspaperads.mercurynews.com/RopAds.aspx?adv=32664&ad=1103772

39%5CROP%5CROPAdSubregions%5C4740649.gif.gif

39%5CROP%5CROPAdSubregions%5C4740651.gif.gif

Guess i'll be picking up Shaolin Soccer.

SoCal Fry's Deal

Halo: Combat Evolved = $19.99
Viewtiful Joe = $22.99 (Available today by 4 p.m.)
Shaolin Soccer = $9.99

Interesing non-VG deals:
Major Name Brand TV (didn't state) 51" Widescreen Hi-Def ready TV = $1199
Olympia 2.4 GHZ Cordless Phone =$2.99 after $20 MIR
Norton System Works 2004 = $0 after MIR

Oh snap thats a kick ass deal!

Hey Defensor, you're talkin about the Fry's in Industry right? Dude we're talkin 30-45 minutes for the ride home. I'm debating if it's worth it.

Dilbert

So...knowing my taste in games, do you think I'd enjoy Viewtiful Joe? I'm currently playing through Astro Boy: Omega Factor on the GBA and loving it...is VJ somewhat similar? How is the difficulty level?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Schmo Florez said:
Oh snap thats a kick ass deal!

Hey Defensor, you're talkin about the Fry's in Industry right? Dude we're talkin 30-45 minutes for the ride home. I'm debating if it's worth it.
Yeah, the 60 at that time.... I dunno now :/

Vlad

-jinx- said:
So...knowing my taste in games, do you think I'd enjoy Viewtiful Joe? I'm currently playing through Astro Boy: Omega Factor on the GBA and loving it...is VJ somewhat similar? How is the difficulty level?

While I can't compare to the game you mentioned, I will say that VJ does fall a bit on the difficult side. The GC version had two intial difficulty settings, Kids and Adults. I found the Kids setting to be way too easy, as I blew through the first two or three levels far too easily. I've read that the PS2 version includes a difficulty level even easier than Kids, too...

I found the Adults setting to be just right for the first playthrough. It seems tough at first, but once you learn how the game works, it gets a lot easier. You'll probably still be dying a lot, too.

One thing that I did love about VJ were the bosses, because they're actually difficult! I'd forgotten what it felt like to feel a little on edge when I get to a boss, due to the fact that they were most likely going to kick my ass the first time around, which I felt every level in VJ. I managed to beat the first boss my first time without dying, but every one after that gave me some serious trouble. The nice thing is is that, for the most part, they're not necessarily cheap, just difficult. You'll find yourself getting a little bit better on each of them each time you try to beat them.

Another good thing about the game is that there appears to be a good amount of incentive to go back and play through it again. I've only beat it once on Adults so far, but doing that unlocked some stuff that affects later playthroughs (don't want to give anything away).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Either EB doesn't let you price match, or they do in a form of a rebate. Either way, I wouldn't price match a game at EB. Just get it price matched at Best Buy or Circuit City if you have one near by

hanzo said:
EB never pricematches anything where I live. So California.

Lakewood's Mall EB allows price match. If you live in SoCal here is the address:

129 Lakewood Mall
Lakewood, CA 90714
(562)634-6354

Edit: I just called a minute ago and yes they do price match:) You'll need the Fry's ad which can be found in today's LA Times

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Riskbreaker said:
Price match at EB and save yourself the trip (assuming EB is closer to you house).
I never thought of that... Assuming if Best Buy does get Viewtiful Joe in today or probably Thursday I got to buy a newspaper to pricematch then. Follow my lead Schmo, I'll see you at Best Buy.

Dilbert

I went to the Fry's in Manhattan Beach yesterday after work (around 6 PM or so), and they didn't have VJ out on the shelves. I would have asked one of the employees if they had any in the back...but I stood there for TEN MINUTES and didn't see one damn person walk through the videogame section. Since I had somewhere else to be, I took off.

Anyone else have any luck?

TKM

jinx, Fry's in Woodland Hills had it on the shelves yesterday. Priced at @29.99, rings up at the register as $22.99. Picked it up myself along with Megaman Anniversary after work.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
distantmantra said:
Was this deal good only yesterday?

It's still good today. I don't know why the images don't show up now. Mercury News is getting bitchy about their images :p

I'm pretty sure the deal will extend over the weekend too

Wario64 said:
It's still good today. I don't know why the images don't show up now. Mercury News is getting bitchy about their images :p

I'm pretty sure the deal will extend over the weekend too

I see. I don't even have my PS2 with me until October when I go back to graduate school. It might be better if I just wait until it hits $20 (which probably won't be that long).

Dilbert

I went back to the Manhattan Beach Fry's at lunch, and they had about a half dozen copies on the shelf. The sign said that the sale price ($22.99) would only run through 8/26, though...you may want to hurry over there and not wait for the weekend, if that turns out to be true.

Top Bottom