• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Viewtiful Joe the best beat em' up since Double Dragon?

Vieo

I picked it up for PS2 this week (I was trying to get silent hill 2, but I can't find it new or used anywhere. have to order it online then. no biggie.). It's really amazing, though, it does sorta remind me of Pocket Fighter (I think that's the name. street fighter characters with big heads beating the heck outta each other).

Now, let's sit back and watch Capcom fak up VJ2 like they did DMC2. :D

shuri

Banned
I have no idea how you can even to compare VJ and DD. For this utter lack of respect for the venerable data east classic, you shall be punished by being force to spend the next two days playing Silent Assault NES

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Eh, he's not comparing the two...just saying there hasn't been a better beat em up game between Double Dragon's release and VJ's.

And Viewtiful Joe does rock! And I don't think they'll screw up VJ2...I don't believe it. I have faith in Clover

sarusama

I find Viewtiful Joes controls overloaded. Somehow I can't really play it right... did anyone else have problems with the learning curve?

Even so, while playing VJ I just feel like something is wrong or I'm missing out on something. I guess when I first read about how your moves just "become viewtiful" when you play I had the impression that there is a nicer system behind it: simple the manipulate but viewtiful in the execution.

As for Double Dragon. Parts 1 and 2 rock. Part 3 was kinda lame though... WTF happened to all the moves??!?! I'd enjoy playing DD1 or DD2 over VJ for some reason.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Aliens vs Predator
Ninja baseball bat man
Spikeout

spring to mind, with very little thought :)

Uh, you'd think with a Guardian Heroes pseudo-sequel being recently released people would know the answer. HELLO, GUARDIAN HEROES. Viewtiful Joe doesn't have shit on it.

btrboyev

-1 for saying DD was from data east and yeah guardian heroes is the best beat em up, followed closer by D&D shadows over mystaria.

aoi tsuki

Streets of Rage anyone? Maybe i need to go back to VJ, but in terms of moves and combos, it's limited. In terms of the creativity and style you can inject into your play style, it's easily one of the best.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Tre said:
Uh, you'd think with a Guardian Heroes pseudo-sequel being recently released people would know the answer. HELLO, GUARDIAN HEROES. Viewtiful Joe doesn't have shit on it.
THANK YOU! someone finally said guardian heroes. AMAZING game. although i found the gba version to be "meh". astro boy is a pretty good beat em up also.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"anyways not a fan??"

i thought the D&D games were very over-rated to be honest. I didn't think they were bad games, just not as good as people made out.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
an incomplete list of beat-em-ups since double dragon that are considerably better than viewtiful joe:

river city ransom
final fight
tenchi wo kurau 2
aliens vs. predator
d&d tower of doom
d&d shadow over mystara
tmnt arcade
turtles in time
the simpsons
metamorphic force
streets of rage 2
streets of rage 3
guardian heroes
astro boy
advance guardian heroes
ninja warriors
ninja warriors again

that's off the top of my head. and i really like viewtiful joe.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think Viewtiful Joe is a future classic. But maybe that is just me talking. :D

But Streets of Rage had a bigger impact on me when it came out. :)

I agree with drohne.

I'll give DD it's props, because without it, the genre wouldn't have been the same.

Best ones, IMO, are SoR2 and Aliens VS Predator.

Where would you guys draw the line between action platformer and beat 'em up? I have a hard time comparing something like VJ to DD just like I would comparing the old console X-Men games to the X-Men arcade or TMNT on NES to the arcade games.

Vlad

Oni Link 666 said:
Where would you guys draw the line between action platformer and beat 'em up? I have a hard time comparing something like VJ to DD just like I would comparing the old console X-Men games to the X-Men arcade or TMNT on NES to the arcade games.

I was thinking the same thing, myself. I never really considered VJ to be a beat-em-up, at least not in the same vein as a Final Fight, Double Dragon, or Streets of Rage. It's really more of a side-scrolling platformer in which you defeat enemies by beating them up. It just doesn't have the same feel as a typical beat-em-up title, mainly because there's more of a puzzle element to the fighting.

pestul

Traded in VJ for Beach Spikers.. BS was horrible. Thanks GAF. At least I ended up trading that for Wario Ware Inc.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Eh, Double Dragon has been surpassed many times over. Never understood what people saw in that game anyway. My genre favorite would be Streets of Rage 2.

Aliens vs Predator and Guardian Heroes are the best beat 'em ups ever. Viewtiful ain't got shit on these.

drohne said:
metamorphic force
Ahh what is this? I'm really hoping it's a game I've never seen or played, I LOVE when I discover an old classic and it's like getting a new game from years past or something or other. Please do tell, arcade/console, what?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
like this: final fight is better than viewtiful joe. and you should see my face when i say that. i mean the arcade version rather than the shoddy snes port, of course. it's maybe the classic of the genre: not the best beat-em-up, but the one that authored what would become its clichés.

and yeah, i consider joe more of an action-platformer than a beat-em-up. but the topic posed a specific question. if you want me to list action-platformers that are better than joe, i bet i could get into triple digits.

and if i seem to be slandering joe, then it's because i wasn't nearly as impressed with the game as some people were. it's very stylish and ironic and endearing. but the stage designs lack any sense of momentum -- it just feels like a bunch of discrete, static gang fights. and the vfx eventually become wearing rather than exhilarating. it's a good example of an arcade-ish game that doesn't really play like a good arcade game. and i think it's telling that so many of its vocal fans are people who don't generally like or play arcade games.

panopticblue - metamorphic force is a konami arcade game, and it's amazing. i'm pretty sure it's emulated.

Ristamar

Meh. I don't give a damn if VJ is or isn't the best beat-em up/ action platformer/whatever the fuck since blah blah blah. It's one of the best games this gen, it stands well enough on its own, and the multiplayer sequel is going to fucking rock.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ristamar said:
Meh. I don't give a damn if VJ is or isn't the best beat-em up/ action platformer/whatever the fuck since blah blah blah. It's one of the best games this gen, it stands well enough on its own, and the multiplayer sequel is going to fucking rock.

VJ2 is going to be 2 player? I hadn't heard that....

Ristamar

Yes, sir.

From the IGN E3 preview:

New to the sequel is Silvia as a fully playable character from the start. She now uses a gun and can link combos with the projectile. Indeed, on more than one occasion in our play test with the title we used her gun to stun an enemy and then really pounded into the foe with a well-choreographed punch-and-kick combination for many, many Viewtifuls. "They fight Viewtifully together," exclaimed Capcom of Joe and Silvia, who can battle side-by-side in a newly included two-player cooperative mode. Judging from the teaser video shown and the play test, it appears that in two-player mode both players are affected by the special moves that one gamer or the other activates. So, if Silvia goes into slow mode, so will Joe. And if Joe speeds up, so shall Silvia. It should make for some very interesting and unique teamwork.

Holy shit multiplayer in VJ2 is going to kick ass. VJ was one of the most difficult, entertaining, and rewarding experiences I had this gen, along with F-Zero GX.

And Streets of Rage was the shit back in the day. My friend and I used to play that and Road Rash all the time. Made us feel so badass.

Phoenix

Streets of Rage was one of the best games of its type to EVER come out. Many games just pale in comparrison. Even playing SoR on an emulator allows the game to show how good it was... even today.

Top Bottom