• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Visual Basic for Access 2013 programming question; Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gaf, I am designing a database and reporting tool for my company and I have run into a few problems while writing VBA code to update three table fields ( fields – Integer Zeros, Result, and Decimal Zeros),. My intent is simply to call the function (shown below) and have it update the fields. However, I keep running into 2 problems:

1.) How do I reference the field data that I am pulling into this program ( field- final_result – it is split into two array elements and stored in the variable Izero)

2.) How do I reference the column names/ fields that I want to display the output within ( I am attempting to do this in my last 3 lines of code:
Also what is the difference between the “.” Operator and the “!” operator ?

The Form is: frm_C_IEPA_02_EDD; The Columns are Integer Zeros, Result, and Decimal Zeros

Form_frm_C_IEPA_02_EDD.[Integer Zeros] = MCount
Form_frm_C_IEPA_02_EDD.[Result] = store
Form_frm_C_IEPA_02_EDD.[Decimal Zeros] = NCount

The entire code is below:

Function ResZeros()

\\Declare variables and arrays

Dim MCount()
Dim NCount()
Dim Izero()
Dim store() as String
Dim A as String
Dim Frac as String

\\Split the data value in final_result into two array elements via the split function. “.” Is the delimiter. The result is stored in then array Izero()

Izero() = Split([dbo_SAMPLE_ANALYSIS_RESULTS]![final_result], ".",2)

\\ take the first element of Izero and store it in A; take the second element of IZero and \\store it in Frac

A = Izero(0)
Frac = Izero(1)

\\ use Cstr function to ensure that the array elements are strings. Use the Len function \\to calculate the number of characters in the string… I don’t think Cstr is needed but \\included just to be sure

length = Len(CStr(Izero(0)))
elength = Len(CStr(Izero(1)))
first = length - 5
Sec = elength – 5

\\store 0’s in array Mcount

For i = 0 To first
MCount(i) = 0
Next

\\store 0’s in array Ncount

For q = 0 To Sec
NCount(i) = 0
Next

\\ Assign the string in A to Store(0) and the string in Frac to Store(1)

For p=0 to 1
If p = 0 then
store(p) = A
else
store(p)=Frac
End If
Next

\\Return the value of Mcount to the field Integer Zeros, NCount to field Decimal Zeros, \\and store to field Result

End Function

ColdPizza

Banned
I'm not familiar with VBA (I work in C#) but I threw this in a code block in case it makes it easier to read for others

Code:
Function ResZeros()

Dim MCount() 
Dim NCount() 
Dim Izero()
Dim store() as String
Dim A as String
Dim Frac as String

\\Split the data value in final_result into two array elements via the split function. “.” Is \\the delimiter. The result is stored in then array Izero()

\\ take the first element of Izero and store it in A; take the second element of IZero and \\store it in Frac

A = Izero(0) 
Frac = Izero(1)

\\ use Cstr function to ensure that the array elements are strings. Use the Len function \\to calculate the number of characters in the string… I don’t think Cstr is needed but \\included just to be sure

first = length - 5
Sec = elength – 5

For i = 0 To first
MCount(i) = 0
Next

For q = 0 To Sec
NCount(i) = 0
Next

For p=0 to 1
If p = 0 then
store(p) = A
else
store(p)=Frac
End If
Next

\\Return the value of Mcount to the field Integer Zeros, NCount to field Decimal Zeros, \\and store to field Result

End Function

I'm not familiar with VBA (I work in C#) but I threw this in a code block in case it makes it easier to read for others

Code:
Function ResZeros()

Dim MCount() 
Dim NCount() 
Dim Izero()
Dim store() as String
Dim A as String
Dim Frac as String

\\Split the data value in final_result into two array elements via the split function. “.” Is \\the delimiter. The result is stored in then array Izero()

A = Izero(0) 
Frac = Izero(1)

first = length - 5
Sec = elength – 5

For i = 0 To first
MCount(i) = 0
Next

For q = 0 To Sec
NCount(i) = 0
Next

For p=0 to 1
If p = 0 then
store(p) = A
else
store(p)=Frac
End If
Next

End Function

thanks I appreciate it.

Does anyone know the appropriate syntax for referencing a field?

Mr. Tone

I'm no expert in Access VBA, but in my experience if you're referencing a field directly, you need to be doing it in the context of a recordset object, or do your manipulation via SQL queries. Here's a bit of a primer on working with recordsets. if you open your table as a recordset, you can iterate through it, doing all that manipulation one record at a time, this is where the ! Syntax is used. The . Syntax is used for referencing fields within SQL.

Code:
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("dbo_SAMPLE_ANALYSIS_RESULT")

Rs.MoveFirst
While not Rs.eof
     Lzero =   Split( Rs![final_result], ".", 2)
    // do stuff here
Rs.Movenext // move to next record
Wend

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm on my iPad, but I hope this points you in the right direction.

I'm no expert in Access VBA, but in my experience if you're referencing a field directly, you need to be doing it in the context of a recordset object, or do your manipulation via SQL queries. Here's a bit of a primer on working with recordsets. if you open your table as a recordset, you can iterate through it, doing all that manipulation one record at a time, this is where the ! Syntax is used. The . Syntax is used for referencing fields within SQL.

Code:
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("dbo_SAMPLE_ANALYSIS_RESULT")

Rs.MoveFirst
While not Rs.eof
     Lzero =   Split( Rs![final_result], ".", 2)
    // do stuff here
Rs.Movenext // move to next record
Wend

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm on my iPad, but I hope this points you in the right direction.

Thanks for your time... This might be helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom